Launching Smoke grenades out of Airsoft M203/EGLM?

Discuss airsoft shotguns, launchers, and other related equipment.

Launching Smoke grenades out of Airsoft M203/EGLM?

Postby Reeko » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:58 pm

I bought these Sport Smoke, Tactical Smoke grenades with a diameter of 38mm and a length of 4". if combined with a blank fire M203 Shell, could it launch these at any significant distance? they weigh about 3.8oz. I have no experience with the launchers. so i was wondering if anyone has tried it or something of similar size.

38mm seems like a pretty close fit to the 40mm barrel of the M203, so i imagine it would be fine, if not i could always wrap the grenade in camo tape to cover the extra 2mm.

http://sportsmoke.com/smoke-grenades/pa ... ke-grenade

i dont know anyone personally that has a launcher to test it out with.
YOU SIR!!!!...... DO NOT HAVE ANY PANCAKE MIX!
Reeko
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Re: Launching Smoke grenades out of Airsoft M203/EGLM?

Postby Sir Stubby Eyre » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:01 pm

If you get it to work don't plan on using it at Camp R&R, I will no allow it. Too heavy of projectile to fly in the air=not safe.
Sir Stubby Eyre
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Reeko » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:12 pm

dont worry about that, i dont go down to oregon for airsoft. and its not that heavy, i could throw it as hard as i could at someone and it would only hurt if it hit you in the face, even then it wouldnt do to much. and a launcher probably wouldnt get it nearly that fast.
Reeko
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jester316 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:05 pm

You would have to use a CO2 shell. Also, how are you going to get it lit before firing? Pull the pin, drop it down the tube and fire? Cool idea, but not very safe.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Reeko » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 pm

Jester316 wrote:You would have to use a CO2 shell. Also, how are you going to get it lit before firing? Pull the pin, drop it down the tube and fire? Cool idea, but not very safe.

i think i will have to try it before determining how safe it is, since that is dependant on the hight and velocity its traveling at. And they are cool burning, so the risk of a brush fire (especially in WA) is minimal

ill try to find someone with an m203 at the next game i go to on the 11th
Reeko
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jester316 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:46 pm

These get hot as shazaam if you hold it while it's going off. Just because it's "non-pyro" doesn't mean it can't start a fire.

I've used them before...

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby nicejoeA » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:18 pm

agree i see before something like that and yes it can start a fire..i think if we use grenade we should be careful to avoid you know accidents
There is no hunting like the hunting of survival knife at
nicejoeA
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Gator » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:25 pm

After skimming through this thread, It made me wonder why a company hasnt made a a M203 smoke grenade. But in a safe manner and of course usable at airsoft fields. Cool idea though. if it was safe itd be even better.
Gator
Soldier
Soldier

Team: 5 Reg.

Postby Spitfire » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:45 pm

I honestly don't see anything unsafe about it.... It's not going to go very far, I could throw one harder then an M203 could launch it, the only thing I would be worried about is it melting the launch tube and possibly causing a burst in the tube, which is still unlikely. That and I wouldnt use them on too dry of days. If the smoke bomb is long enough, it should stick out the front a little bit, the ring anyway. aim up, get someone to pull the ring, and fire!

EDIT - That, and those rubber M203 balls off of evike would do a good bit more damage then a much heavier smoke canister. This is my opinion anyway, I'm not always right. We need to do some testing and see some youtube videos on this before we consider anything. This'd give me an actual reason to go out and buy an M203 grenade launcher. :lol:
Spitfire
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Reeko » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:48 pm

I know this is a necro to my own thread but i have an answer for the OP. And this does work. I have personally fired one out of my EGLM, and it has a range of about 20-30 feet. which is pretty good. It does need to be shimmed since they are a bit loose in the barrel. I use medical pre-wrap, but plastic grocery bags work too.
Reeko
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Alien_Hunter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:39 am

My friends used surgical tubing and PVC pipe to make a 'cross bow' (it didn't have a trigger, just drop a ball, pull the band back and let it fly). I think it would launch a grenade quite well.
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nark » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:03 pm

Welshy McSheeplove wrote:I could throw one of those things further than 20-30 feet...

I think we can all throw one of those things further than 20-30 feet.
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Matt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:40 pm

ICS is making projectiles for launchers that smoke. But it'll probably never hit the US Market.

http://youtu.be/ck_oADG7mDk
Matt

Team: APST

Postby The Grand Baboon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Reeko wrote:di could throw it as hard as i could at someone and it would only hurt if it hit you in the face...a launcher probably wouldnt get it nearly that fast.

If a launcher supposedly won't get it nearly as fast, it won't go nearly as far as throwing it. Herp derp.

Why not just throw the damn thing? It seems like you're just putting a handicap on yourself by wanting to attempt to shoot it.
"Oohrah, Gunny. Oohrah, Momma Dog."
The Grand Baboon
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Reeko » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:31 pm

Matt wrote:ICS is making projectiles for launchers that smoke. But it'll probably never hit the US Market.

http://youtu.be/ck_oADG7mDk

interesting, i bet they would be rather expensive as well for spare smoke shells. But it would be convenient to have them attached to the grenade itself, instead of having to shim it and shove it down the barrel.

also i tried this with a madbull XMPB4 C02 grenade yesterday and i can now launch my smokes about 150 feet with moderate arc. which is a substantial increase in range from green gas. Ill see what i can do about getting a video up.

also, i would be surprised if they DIDNT make it to the US market, since they did show them at shot show in the US, which if im not mistaken, is mostly aimed toward US customers.
Reeko
Soldier
Soldier

Next

Return to Shotguns & Launchers