Permissibility of home brew mines?

Discuss airsoft shotguns, launchers, and other related equipment.

Permissibility of home brew mines?

Postby Msixty » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:55 am

I want to get some trip mines to evaluate their effectiveness in games but the production ones are a little too spendy if deployed in numbers. I wanted to know what the communities opinion is on home brew mines from both a safety and practicality standpoint. Also, would a powder/noise mine work off of the 10 foot kill zone rule of grenades?

The designs I'm thinking of specifically are a spring loaded plunger in a tube topped with a retaining bar for the plunger to launch confetti or powder, and a home brew 40mm shower shell trigger.

(I hope this is the right place for this, I looked around and couldn't find anything on the subject.)
Msixty
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Re: Permissibility of home brew mines?

Postby Junto » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:55 pm

DRAT has made and used our own version of a landmine once before. They were effective, but not very durable. Permissibility is a case-by-case thing. Not only will it rely on safe, consistent performance from your design, but you'll have to get approval from event hosts.
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby Sir Stubby Eyre » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:03 pm

I would allow noise maker, a 10 foot diameter kill zone would work if it was a grenade or land mine. A Claymore would be a 15 foot semi circle from the front of the claymore. A IED would probable be more if it was a larger device (it would have to be the same or less noise level as a Thunder B grenade).

The powder would not be advisable. Flour gets into peoples gear and becomes a glue like paste when it gets wet. Some people are allergic to talc or latex type of powder and I personally would not like to breath it in.

The confetti will not work because as a field owner I don't want the mess of it around the field.

I hope that this helps. See you on the field.

Sir Stubby
Sir Stubby Eyre
Sponsor
Sponsor

Team: N/A

Postby Matt » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:17 pm

The biggest problem I have found with mines is when to deploy them, and when/if you do you have to make sure your own teammates don't step on them or trip them. They sound like a good idea but it doesn't really work as well as one might think in the field. They're really just a liability out there in the field, and will most likely result in a friendly kill.
Matt

Team: APST

Return to Shotguns & Launchers