American MilSim's OP: Faded Giant

This forum is for events held outside of our region. All organizations/promotors are allowed to post events here, calendar posts are also allowed here.

American MilSim's OP: Faded Giant

Postby dos_Santos » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:56 pm

I arrived here at the AO for American MilSim's OP: FG, at the Goverment Training Institute (GTI) outside Barnwell, SC, several hours ago, and all I can say is WOW. This never-been-used nuclear facility (built to be used as an enrichment facility), is home to AMS's newest milsim series on the east coast. It is spectacular.

In addition to the main event, they will also be conducting DAM's (an additional fee) for those squad's that seek a more intense experience. It involves a planning stage in a briefing room, then a timed execution phase. In the past they have used pyro, land and aerial vehicles for this experience. Despite this being their first event here, and smaller numbers, I believe they will be employing everything they can to generate an immersive experience (minus the helo, but GTI can provide anything from M1 Abrams to UH-60's and any other type of vehicle, for a nominal fee.

AMS has also formed Milsim Mechanix in conjuction with Multiple Application Group (M7) milsim team out of Nashville, and will be conducting an Urban Operations and Low-light Operations course on Friday. I paid in advance for the UO course, but may throw in the LLO course as well.

I will pop back in here to give an AAR, and just maybe this will be come a destination event. More information can be found on American MilSim's Facebook page.
I do hope that after all this discreditable shuffling we may be taken into action. It has a wonderful way of reconciling a man with himself: and with everybody else, sometimes. - 1st Lt. James Dillon
dos_Santos
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Re: American MilSim's OP: Faded Giant

Postby dos_Santos » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:16 pm

Yea, I am curious too, which was why I "risked" $60 for the MMX course (okay, I really want the feathers). I am interested in the content as they market it for the mil-simmer, and not necessarily un-needed "real world" ninja tactics. I have only heard one account of their ops from Blue about Broken home, and though he enjoyed it, he told me it was underwhelming.

To be fair, I happen to be on the east coast for work so most everything was paid for getting here. Then AMS is comping my entrance fee, so the least I could do is support them by purchasing the MMX course. I like the guys running it, and I'll give them some leeway as they are really coming out of a transitional period (re-branding/marketing, and coming out of legal lawsuits), and really trying to up their game. In the end, I want to know if it's worth it for a guy in the PacNW to pay nearly $1000 to get here ($400+ airfare, camping is free, but realistically lodging is the easiest at $73 /night, $150 for food, $200 for transportation; then there's all the gear one wants to buy getting here).

I am guessing this will be mostly an east coaster gig. Hopefully it's awesome anyway!!

We shall see...
I do hope that after all this discreditable shuffling we may be taken into action. It has a wonderful way of reconciling a man with himself: and with everybody else, sometimes. - 1st Lt. James Dillon
dos_Santos
Ranger
Ranger

Postby McNair » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:22 am

I opened this thread thinking this was a new game you were hosting, Gabe.
bleeding asshole.
GEEZ.
McNair

Postby dos_Santos » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:10 am

McNair wrote:I opened this thread thinking this was a new game you were hosting, Gabe.
f***ing asshole.
GEEZ.

Hahaha, sorry man,will let you know if TW is for sure a go. It looks like it is, but I told JL we need to have proper funding to pull of an event that LC is known for.
dos_Santos
Ranger
Ranger

Postby dos_Santos » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:52 pm

Welshy McSheeplove wrote:
dos_Santos wrote:Yea, I am curious too, which was why I "risked" $60 for the MMX course (okay, I really want the feathers). I am interested in the content as they market it for the mil-simmer, and not necessarily un-needed "real world" ninja tactics.

Many would argue that the use (or attempted use) of those real world tactics is what makes it MilSim. I've mostly heard that they're more or less massive clusterfucks, with special emphasis put on teams/individuals who pay more. I know someone who did an MMX course (pretty it was one, it was a "special mission" he paid for at an AMS event), and he was disappointed because it was just an half assed mission designed to let the special guys show off in front of cameras.

I've already got a sour taste in my mouth from the MilSim Mechanix guys after they went off on some mil guys who criticized their "MOUT training" (MM also, do my knowledge, has no mil/former mil members).

I'd still like to see a review from you about it, as someone who has been to a couple LC events and has a good basis to compare/contrast large scale events. It'll be interested to see if it'd be worth it money wise for someone from here to pay to go to it. I'm looking at Tradewinds next year, but basically the only game I'm interested in attending is Pine Plains, which is basically as far as you can go MilSim-wise in the US.

I think your friend was talking about Direct Action Missions, not MMX. MMX hosted their first class today, of which I did both the courses that they offered. They made no bones about it, they are not former military or LE (those teaching it). They specifically stated that they are teaching things that they have learned over the years. However they have done real steal training from several sources, like Costa Ludus and Haley SP being a couple of them. I have to say, the content was fundamentally good, and they didn't attempt to say their way to do CQC is the only way. They were pretty transparent, but the stuff I picked up was great. The low light course was a totally new arena for me because I have avoided all our local night games. We got to use 3rd gen NVG's, which was a plus (only a portion of the course was about NVG's), and how to engage in low-light/no-light environments. I took away a lot of good info, even if some of it was fundamentally basic.

I would say about 90% of airsofters could use the course on CQB. It wasn't complicated, but I would like to see them offer a more advanced course. But then I do have my ODA buddy who is local and will do it for free (and has come to SOTA training).

Tomorrow is Day 1 of game play and I will be participating in a few DAM's, so I'll write up about those later.
dos_Santos
Ranger
Ranger

Return to National & International Events