California Senate Bill 798, what can we do?

Read and comment on recent Airsoft News happenings. Also found on the main page of the website.

California Senate Bill 798, what can we do?

Postby Matt » Tue May 03, 2011 7:32 pm

Some of you may have already heard the rumblings about California Senate Bill 798 or possibly read the discussion we have going on about it over here. This bill would require that ALL Airsoft guns have a more toy-like appearance with the entire exterior cast in bright colors.

WHAT IS IT?
There's a detailed write-up about it here. Basically, to call out the specifics, the bill would require all Airsoft gun exterior be white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright blue, bright pink, or bright purple.

HOW DOES THIS EFFECT OREGON?
A gear majority of Airsoft guns imported into the United States come through California. Some of the largest Airsoft retailers in the country reside there. This would cripple the Airsoft economy in the United States and cause several manufacturers to lose money. It may be harder and harder to find realistic Airsoft guns, or their prices could be increased. The whole country could be effected by it. Not to mention, other states could try to pass similar bills.

Some of these California retailers have been supporters and sponsors of Airsoft Pacific for a long time, and have provided $1000's worth of gear donations for the events you guys attend.

WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP?
You can mail or fax the state senators officer a letter. AEX put together this great form letter for everyone to use, it's simple. Save it, print it out, print your name on the from field, sign your name and then mail it or fax it using the information below.

Capitol Office:
Senator Kevin De Leon
State Capitol
Room 5108
Sacramento, CA 95814
TEL: 916 651 4022
FAX: 916 327 8817

District Office:
Senator Kevin De Leon
617 South Olive Street
Suite 710
Los Angeles, CA 90014
TEL 213 612 9566
FAX 213 612 9591
Matt

Team: APST

Postby CommieHunter » Wed May 04, 2011 10:21 am

The distributors in California said that even out of state players could have an effect on the bill if they write in. Because the distributors are located there, it does matter to us in OR and WA (and elsewhere) what kind of laws they pass.

In addition, if this law passes in CA, it could theoretically be a forerunner of other similar laws in other states.

If you've got the time, send an e-mail or letter, or even leave a voicemail.
CommieHunter

Team: SOTA

Postby ogrejager » Wed May 04, 2011 10:39 am

Not to mention, the manufacturers of airsoft guns might start making their guns so that they can be sold in California (a big market), but not making "non California" models.

Can we just hope for an earthquake?

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby CommieHunter » Wed May 04, 2011 12:33 pm

CommieHunter

Team: SOTA

Postby Darius137 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:51 pm

I guess that means everyone gets to spray paint their weapons!

Yay!
Member of Rushing Russians KBДB (Cascadian VDV/Airborne) chapter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KEBAB.PARTY/
Darius137

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Switchback » Wed May 04, 2011 1:16 pm

CommieHunter wrote:Image

Hey man, they were gone to me a long time ago :/

WE BANKRUPT

(edit, I know he's not governor anymore, but come on!)
Last edited by Switchback on Wed May 04, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the cutest dog."
Switchback

Team: N/A

Postby code789 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:11 pm

the governor of california is jerry brown... and those who voted yes on the bill are all democratic
Sic vis pacem, para bellum
long live the republic
code789
Ranger
Ranger

Postby liquidfx » Thu May 05, 2011 11:22 am

Here's a link to an online petition against said bill for those who are interested.

http://www.change.org/petitions/say-no- ... rsoft-bill
liquidfx
Grunt
Grunt

Postby jdogbigmoney » Thu May 05, 2011 7:36 pm

ahhh you beat me to it! i recommend that we bring copies of the letter to games for those who dont hear about it.
jdogbigmoney
Soldier
Soldier

Team: [ODK]

Postby bushman » Thu May 05, 2011 7:52 pm

also if anybody has a facebook you can go onto it and look up

No On California SB 798

the more people the better so join the cause exen if you dont want to send a letter like the facebook page
bushman
Grunt
Grunt

Postby glockmeister » Sat May 07, 2011 8:45 am

code789 wrote:the governor of california is jerry brown... and those who voted yes on the bill are all democratic

Are you saying there is something wrong with being a democrat?

So apparently the reason they decided to make this bill, is because some 13 year old kid was shooting his beretta m9 airsoft gun outside of his house at night, and the police shot him, they mistaked the airsoft gun for a real gun and paralyzed him... I think it is sad this kid was shot, but it is not an everyday thing where people get shot because the cops mistaked an airsoft gun for a real gun. I can't find the exact number of how many people die per year from getting shot by the cops because they are holding an airsoft gun that looks real, but I would believe it is not a very big number.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.â€
glockmeister
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Snowman » Sat May 07, 2011 9:06 am

Yeah, it's sad Glockmeister, but you don't blame a car crash on the car. That was talked over in the other thread, and it's just dumb that people think that by removing the car, you can make people not stupid. Plus, if you remove the car, your transportation system will go to hell. True, airsoft isn't nearly as important as a car, but it's just a hypothetical.
top lel
Snowman

Postby glockmeister » Sat May 07, 2011 10:51 am

Yeah, I could see this bill being reasonable if people died every day from this kind of stuff, but they don't. It makes me angry that they would actually spend there time on trying to make airsoft guns be painted with bright colors when there are things out there that are more way more important.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.â€
glockmeister
Soldier
Soldier

Postby lilwil » Sat May 07, 2011 11:28 pm

glockmeister wrote:Yeah, I could see this bill being reasonable if people died every day from this kind of stuff, but they don't. It makes me angry that they would actually spend there time on trying to make airsoft guns be painted with bright colors when there are things out there that are more way more important.

That kind of thinking is the problem. You think these are toys. You think its okay to use them in view of the public as long as people do not get hurt. You imply the problem is resources to enforce the bill... all not the problem. These are not toys to be brightly colored and paraded around. They are guns. The problem is a kid had one, and treated it like a toy. Making them brightly colored would only exaggerate the problem.
She said I raped her? Well, where there is a Will there is a way. But just remember, if it wasn't Lil, it wasn't Wil.

Juicemachine: lilwil (the self-provlaimed racist) wrote:
Your hatred is based on ignorance.

IR the self-provlaimed racist:)
lilwil
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Hype » Sun May 08, 2011 2:42 am

Personally I blame the parents. Also, Education is the problem here.
Hype
Grunt
Grunt

Next

Return to Airsoft News