California Senate Bill 798, what can we do?

Read and comment on recent Airsoft News happenings. Also found on the main page of the website.

Postby Catch22 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:13 am

KA-BAR, do you remember what it's like to be 15, 16, 17? Starting to become Independent. Going out and doing stuff with your friends.. Were your parents with you, everytime you did something? If a kids parents want to come and play or chill at the field, that's cool. If not, that's cool aswell. Most of the kids are pretty decent people, and don't need mommy and daddy to hold their hand all day.

Kids and adults do dumb shit with airsoft guns. Don't just take it out on the kids.
Catch22

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Wisenheimer » Thu May 26, 2011 11:49 am

I believe it's more likely that the airsoft community such as the one here is not so much the issue. Conduct on the field will always be a complaining point, but to quote that ad, and I'll just copy and paste from it...

"the guns are obviously clear so that if you live in the beaverton area you can walk around on the street with them and you cant get a ticket.
please call me after 3:30pm
971-732-4615"

Here's the original link...

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/for/2400905576.html

This attitude must be educated out of the public at large. I think the people here, young and old, basically get it. It's numbskulls like this guy who have no clue there's an airsoft community that are the problem.

Airsoft needs a good PR department.
Wisenheimer
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby JamesW » Thu May 26, 2011 3:48 pm

Im a kid and I dont do any of the things you clam kids do and my parents are not always not with me. Say what you will about me but I know im safe with guns(real or not)
JamesW
Soldier
Soldier

Team: [ODK]

Postby Ranger Commie » Thu May 26, 2011 3:55 pm

TriggerHappyJ wrote:Im a kid and I dont do any of the things you clam kids do and my parents are not always not with me. Say what you will about me but I know im safe with guns(real or not)

Same here although I had gun safety training so I could hunt.
Two things are infinite, The Universe and Human stupidity, And I'm not sure about the Universe.
-Albert Einstein
Switchback wrote:Don't do shady deals in the classifieds before you have someones hand print on one of your butt cheeks.
Ranger Commie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby JamesW » Thu May 26, 2011 3:56 pm

I never had gun safety just a smart dad and brother who take me shooting.
JamesW
Soldier
Soldier

Team: [ODK]

Postby Ranger Commie » Thu May 26, 2011 4:20 pm

TriggerHappyJ wrote:I never had gun safety just a smart dad and brother who take me shooting.

Yeah the thing was overrated and primarily consisted of
1 Dont aim at your own head
2 Dont aim at any of youre friends.
3 If you do aim at youre friends make sure to bring a shovel. :lol:
Two things are infinite, The Universe and Human stupidity, And I'm not sure about the Universe.
-Albert Einstein
Switchback wrote:Don't do shady deals in the classifieds before you have someones hand print on one of your butt cheeks.
Ranger Commie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jester316 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:23 pm

And all you children wonder why the adults don't trust you... http://www.nwcn.com/news/oregon?fId=122 ... main=10202

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby Wisenheimer » Thu May 26, 2011 4:34 pm

Universal Commie wrote:1 Dont aim at your own head
2 Dont aim at any of youre friends.
3 If you do aim at youre friends make sure to bring a shovel.

tool Cheney says, "Two out of three ain't bad!" :monkey:
Wisenheimer
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Catch22 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:48 pm

Since she wasn't using an airsoft gun, I don't see a relevance to the main topic.

Do not turn this into a thread about links to airsoft crimes either. (That will bring a lock.) We'd be able to find an equal number of adults and kids getting busted. The main difference most kids do it out of ignorance, not Malice. Also I believe by banning kids, you'd end up with them playing games without strict safety rules and in unsafe places.
Catch22

Postby Jester316 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:52 pm

My link was relevant in that it shows that children can loose their temper and do stupid things that will hurt someone. Yes, adults do this to (reference any number of gang shootings because they looked at each other funny), however, it is much more prevalent with the youths.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby Steve » Thu May 26, 2011 4:55 pm

Catch22 wrote:Also I believe by banning kids, you'd end up with them playing games without strict safety rules and in unsafe places.

And that is precisely why you ban purchase or unsupervised posession of an airsoft replica by anyone under the age of 18. If the cops find kids playing "black dog" airsoft, they confiscate and destroy the replicas, take the kiddies home, and cite mommy and daddy. Tag the parents with a couple hundred dollars worth of fines.

Do this enough times, and parents will get the hint. Junior may end up spending the weekend at a youth diversion course, mommy might go a few weeks between new purses, and daddy may have to come home from work rather than banging the secretary on a "business trip".
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby Wisenheimer » Thu May 26, 2011 5:02 pm

So, after 11 pages of finger pointing, anyone have a workable solution?

The discussion is good and all, but it's all useless bluster and hot air unless some action is taken. Obviously, a flat out ban of -18 year olds is in all reality highly unlikely. 18+ hosted games will always be available, but regarding the bigger issue of educating the public, the people who have no clue about airsoft, how do we go about doing this?

Currently a major safety video is in the works, but it will primarily be directed at airsoft enthusiasts and hopefully LEA's as an educational tool for both demographics.

What should be done about this issue? Should the community come together along with the distributors and even the manufacturers to promote airsoft awareness education? Perhaps a youtube video, a pamphlet with every airsoft gun including clear walmart specials that points to the video?

It's awareness on in a broader spectrum than simply the readers of this board that needs to be addressed.

Anyone have a constructive idea, and not a pointed finger of blame? We need a solution, not an argument that does nothing to address the real issue of public ignorance.
Wisenheimer
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Paladin101 » Thu May 26, 2011 5:04 pm

Steve wrote:
Catch22 wrote:Also I believe by banning kids, you'd end up with them playing games without strict safety rules and in unsafe places.

And that is precisely why you ban purchase or unsupervised posession of an airsoft replica by anyone under the age of 18. If the cops find kids playing "black dog" airsoft, they confiscate and destroy the replicas, take the kiddies home, and cite mommy and daddy. Tag the parents with a couple hundred dollars worth of fines.

Do this enough times, and parents will get the hint. Junior may end up spending the weekend at a youth diversion course, mommy might go a few weeks between new purses, and daddy may have to come home from work rather than banging the secretary on a "business trip".

Yeah that or the two parents that are working 2 jobs each and barely surviving in this economy might have their lives further burdened. Jesus not all kids are that bad, it's not like the Hitler Youth is running loose in mass in America. Think about how often kids are NOT in trouble with airsoft in relation to the times they are. It's going to be fairly low.
Paladin101
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Steve » Thu May 26, 2011 5:14 pm

What is junior doing running around with toy guns if the parents are scraping and suffering to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table?

Sorry. Still not buying it. If the problem is that kids are screwing the pooch and getting dumped by cops, then criminalize the actions of the kids. It's not rocket science. Since you really can't effectively control the problem just by punishing the children, take a step back up the chain of custody and punish the parents. And close the loop by restricting access to the replicas in the first place.

The fix is legislation to prohibit the act, rather than making the tools look more like the toys that we don't want them treated as.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby Ivan Daylovich™ » Thu May 26, 2011 5:21 pm

The Hitler Youth isn't that bad.
I mean hell, one of them is Pope now.
They don't let just anyone become Pope.
Ivan Daylovich™

Team: {FAG}

PreviousNext

Return to Airsoft News