Replica Gun City Ordinance Poll for Portland

Read and comment on recent Airsoft News happenings. Also found on the main page of the website.

Replica Gun City Ordinance Poll for Portland

Postby Matt » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:48 pm

As many of you know, Beaverton has a city ordinance in place to discourage the use of replica firearms in public places within city limits. Last Monday, Mayor Sam Adams posted this poll on Facebook to ask if we should consider a similar ordinance in the City of Portland. No formal plans or proposals have been made, right now they are simply researching the possibility.

For those who don't know about the Beaverton ordinance, follow this link. It boils down to this; it's unlawful to display/brandish a replica firearm in a public place, penalties increase if the replica has had it's orange muzzle removed or painted over. Keep in mind, this ordinance really changes nothing for those who follow Airsoft Pacific's rules. You should already be safely and responsibly transporting your AEG in a case, box or carry bag to and from games especially if you live within city limits.

The only possible hassle I could see this being to any of us would be if we could get fined or penalized for test firing our replicas in the privacy of our own back yard. But the back yard does not fit my definition of "public" and I would hope there would be no loopholes around that.

I'll be on OPB's Think Out Loud public radio on Tuesday morning at around 9:30am talking about the hobbyist perspective of this topic. You can stream live from their website or tune to 91.5fm (full list of frequencies). Our rules already pretty much enforce what this ordinance is making punishable by law, and I think that's a great testament to our community's stance on safety and safe replica handling.

What do you guys think of it? Do those of you from Beaverton have any perspective to give? Has the ordinance hindered your ability to enjoy Airsoft? I'd like to hear your experience with it, as there may be drawbacks or related fallout that I'm not aware of.
Matt

Team: APST

Re: Replica Gun City Ordinance Poll for Portland

Postby Evil Zergling137 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:56 pm

Well, obviously no police time is going to be wasted enforcing this unless there is a complaint or something else going on.

The key is "display/brandish". You can still discreetly carry your guns from your car to your house/appt (or to and from games) without breaking that. The AP rules are unnecessary to comply with the rule.

Also, how does it compare to the rules for real firearms? It might be the same now in Beaverton.
Evil Zergling137
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby Matt » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:20 pm

Edit: it's Tuesday, not Monday.
Matt

Postby Gator » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:27 pm

I typically take my guns in bags to events/games. But i never usually shoot my guns in my backyard because my neighbors are all pricks.
Gator
Soldier
Soldier

Team: 5 Reg.

Postby Russkie » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:04 pm

No. I have yet to see gun control work. It only keeps honest people honest.

Our time and money would be better spent on educating people on good firearms handling. Sadly, that won't happen since there is no money to be made there. It's all about revenue, not safety.
Russkie
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Ivan Daylovich™ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:31 pm

Russkie wrote:No. I have yet to see gun control work. It only keeps honest people honest.

Not true. It makes some of those honest people dishonest.
Ivan Daylovich™

Team: {FAG}

Postby Highlife » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:01 pm

I seriously doubt that an ordanance would stop someone from commiting suicide by cop, or keep scum bags from knocking over convenience stores. Maybe the city should just make more green bike boxes, then everyone in the city can be inconvenienced equally.
Highlife
Grunt
Grunt

Postby pdx650 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:24 pm

Wish I was at home, at noon, to stream the show since I am currently in Eastern Virginia, but I must be at work.
Targets welcome
pdx650
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Russkie » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:07 pm

Ivan Daylovich wrote:
Russkie wrote:No. I have yet to see gun control work. It only keeps honest people honest.
Not true. It makes some of those honest people dishonest.

Touche.
Russkie
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Orwell » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:57 pm

In short: This is the kind of ordinance that lets politicians say "I made a difference!"

I have a group of friends (I use the term loosely,) who are 12 - 16 and who play with their BIG5 airsoft toys in the streets near their houses in Portland. These kids are smart enough to do what a cop says without arguing, and have never had an incident with police, despite having made eye contact with multiple officers while playing their game.

They're kids. They're having fun. No one cares. With an ordinance like this, however, they'd be number 1 on every officer's todo list. New laws are always enforced more strictly.

This kind of ordinance doesn't provide any measurable public service. It just (potentially) inconveniences the older folks and screws with the kids. I don't see it as helpful at all.
Orwell
Ranger
Ranger

Postby chapped » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:25 am

Highlife wrote:I seriously doubt that an ordanance would stop someone from commiting suicide by cop, or keep scum bags from knocking over convenience stores. Maybe the city should just make more green bike boxes, then everyone in the city can be inconvenienced equally.

:D
There is no justice.
There's just us.
chapped
Specops
Specops

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Junto » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:28 am

Works fine in Beaverton and has been AP policy for even longer. Glad you get to talk about it on the radio, Matt. Any good exposure for the hobby is always welcome.
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby Matt » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:28 am

Highlife wrote:I seriously doubt that an ordanance would stop someone from commiting suicide by cop, or keep scum bags from knocking over convenience stores. Maybe the city should just make more green bike boxes, then everyone in the city can be inconvenienced equally.

That's cool but the ordinance isn't in place for scumbags, it's for kids. Did you read the link to the Beaverton information? The goal is to keep kids playing Airsoft out of harms way and avoid potentially dangerous run-ins with police. I hate those damn bike boxes!

As far as I'm concerned, there's absolutely no good reason at all to be playing Airsoft with realistic replica firearms with orange markings removed in a suburban neighborhood unless you are at a designated playfield or on a large piece of private property. You would not be running around your neighborhood brandishing a real-steel assault rifle in a threatening manner, you shouldn't do the same with an extremely realistic Airsoft gun.

HartThrob - I've seen kids playing Airsoft in their yard with big5 guns too, with no eye protection. Not too smart. But according to the Beaverton ordinance, "A replica firearm does not include a clear plastic or brightly colored imitation gun. These obvious toy guns, can also include an Airsoft gun if it is made of clear plastic or is brightly colored." So the kids playing in the yard shooting out their friend's eyes with clear plastic AEGs can keep doing their thing... hopefully they'll put some eye pro on.
Matt

Postby McNair » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:40 am

It's illegal to "discharge" a bb gun/air rifle in city limits of pretty much everywhere.
So if this is to stop kids from playing in the city with guns that aren't clearly marked as replicas is rather redundant.
McNair

Postby drpepper475 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:10 am

it only takes one mistake to ruin it for everyone. i always use a gun bag and am careful with my replicas that dont have orange tips. hopefully this doesnt get taken any further.
"you guys might be winning ,but I'm having more fun"
drpepper475

Next

Return to Airsoft News