Gas Sniper rifles.

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

Gas Sniper rifles.

Postby EnarahRovaaniik » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:23 am

I want to get into using Gas Sniper rifles, because I love sniping and want to try something new. There are three guns that I hear are pretty awesome and I want to know which ones are better for someone who just wants to try a gas sniper rifle.

KJW M700: I hear this gun is awesome, and I like the Remington 700 style. It's a good price and KJW makes good guns from what I usually hear. I was wondering, are there Co2 mags available for this gun?
Tanaka M700 AICS (L96): This is a very common gas sniper rifle, and Tanaka makes phenomenal gas rifles and shotguns. Sure it is a higher price than the KJW M700 but it is over all better, am I right?
ARES AW338: Similar in price and performance to the Tanaka, I love ARES. Don't know much about the gun.

ALRIGHT, those are my options as of now. Feedback, opinions?
-Cole
EnarahRovaaniik
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Re: Gas Sniper rifles.

Postby Hamster » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:14 pm

OP: Gas bolts aren't generally the best in the PACNW. You probably don't have the patience to toy with a bolt action rifle to get it into skirmish-able shape. Why do you even wan't a bolt? To be able to hit that one guy cowering behind the rest of the team?
Last edited by Hamster on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iguanas/giraffes
Hamster
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Cloudyrains » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:28 pm

Why838 wrote:You have got to be kidding me your going to pull that I'm not legally aloud to purchase an airsoft gun but I still play and have at least a a 4 diget number into this sport don't let him tell you that I don't no much about gas rifle but I would recommend a spring sniper rifle more it costs less and is more consistent on the fps

How does it feel to have worse grammar and sentence structure than a 12 year old?

Anyways, go with a spring action gun, but make sure you get something upgrade compatible like a VSR-10, APS2, L96, etc, or else there will be very little setting you apart from everybody with an upgraded AEG. If you like the role and are willing to dedicate yourself to it, having an upgradeable gun will let you go the extra mile. Otherwise you are just another kid with a spring gun who is completely useless on the field.

Just be warned, upgrading a bolt on the cheap (which you REALLY shouldn't do) could go as low as $300. I just dropped about $500 on a BAR-10 (VSR-10 compatible) platform and I don't even have all the parts I need. And considering how in all likely hood this money is coming from your parents, you may just plain not have the ability to build a bolt.

My suggestion to you is to learn the game more, get comfortable with your AEG, learn tactics and how to maneuver, then move on to what you want to do. It's a big nooby mistake to just jump into sniping, as a lot of people don't have the patience for it or just find they don't like it. Airsoft is a whole different game then the real world, so don't think that real world sniping is anything like airsoft sniping. Yes they are similar, and yes they share a lot in common, but when you boil it down, you are shooting a Chinese made plastic pellet with pretty much a crude air compressor. There is only so much your gun can do, meaning YOU have to compensate for the rest.
Cloudyrains
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Wombat Six » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:04 pm

The problem with having your parents buy you a gas-powered airsoft replica for Easter is that Oregon is cold enough for most of the year that your rifle will underperform a comparable spring-powered airsoft replica or electric-powered replica, and you'll be that poor sap who's cuddling his spare magazines to keep them warm enough to function.

Airsoft being a fashion show, your parents should buy the replica you want and you should build it into the replica you want, rather than asking for advice from the internet. To be honest, if your first question about working as a sniper in an airsoft game is, "Which replica should my parents buy me to make me an elite sniper?", you have more reading and research to do.

EDIT: the problem with "I just want to try it" is that you will spend quite a bit of time and money upgrading your replica into a respectable platform before you can actually get a feel for whether or not it works for you. My first outing with the VSR-10 with no upgrades was very firmly in the "Why the hell am I doing this?" category and not reflective of my current feelings on the matter.
Ludere Causa Ludendi
Wombat Six
Specops
Specops

Postby pdx650 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:01 pm

I did buy a relatively affordable low-priced bolt action sniper (Well MB07 TSD SD702 pre-upgraded) for about $100 and it now has issues with the sear. After a month or two of inconsistant play, the sear is not holding the bolt (spring) to the rear as is designed. I'm out $100 if I don't do anything to it. The barrel is approximately 16 inches long (not the best for a sniper) And am now considering getting the cyma full length M14 AEG to replace it as a DMR or sniper function. That one has a 20 inch barrel. Yes, it has a gearbox, so I'm not planning on being as stealthy as I could be because it will not be quiet. I am a left-handed shooter, so pulling back on a spring-powered bolt with my right hand is slightly awkward and uncomfortable. With a gas-powered rifle, the retraction of the bolt is negligible as there is much less resistance in the action. This is a reason I would consider a gas sniper for any reason...and I no longer live in the PNW.
Targets welcome
pdx650
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Gator » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Im sure when mostly everyone started playing airsoft they all wanted to be a Sniper, I considered it, A few friends of mine have done it, But just play a little bit first, I realized i loved messing around and really being a part of the game(Accomplishing objectives). And a Sniper will always be a vital role in the battlefield, But i also realized its not something you can pick up and expect to be good.

Also, Id go with Gas, Although it may not work the best through the weather here in oregon, I just like the gas system more. My 2 cents.
Gator
Soldier
Soldier

Team: 5 Reg.

Postby VogonFord » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:42 pm

Tanaka or G&G K98k. Roll with the cool boys.

More seriously, snipers are expensive and don't make you cool - in fact, at your age, running around with a bolt-action sniper rifle is more likely to get people to laugh at you. AEGs perform better, are more versatile, and are far cheaper than snipers of any kind. Snipers are only if you really need to hit people at 50% more range than the average good airsoft gun and are really into building your own kit. If you want to have more fun playing, get an assault rifle or submachine gun.
VogonFord
Specops
Specops

Team: {FAG}

Postby Variable » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:53 pm

Stay on topic.
Variable

Team: APST

Postby God » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:54 pm

I'd just upgrade an AEG. I had a cheap 6.03mm tbb, nice bucking/SCS nub, and I was told out of 4 guys shooting at him, my shots were the only ones coming even close. This was before I switched out parts for an even more consistent set-up.
God

Team: RR KBAB

Postby icebullet » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Oh, it's this thread again-

I have an AR-10 by Classic Army. It's what you'd consider to be a sniper rifle. Yes, it could be a sniper rifle, but it shoots fully automatic, and I'm too lazy to convert it to a higher FPS and eliminate the full auto setting. So I use it as a ranged engagement rifle, or a really cool term that I like- "Battle Rifle". I was once an idiot who had a Sniper rifle. Guess what happened. I broke it. But all my AEG's have been indestructible. So, just a word of warning there. Gas is also very temperamental in the PacNW, as many others have said. Pistols and grenades would be the only thing I'd take out on the field that are gas.

BTW, a new Tanaka L96 is 662 dollars from RedwolfAirsoft, with shipping. Also, a new KWJ M700 is about 200 dollars. One may be cheap, but those dollars would be better put into a good G&G, G&P, E1, or CA AEG.

P.S.- If you do decide with a spring platform- Make sure you can pull back the bolt from a prone position.
(21:12:32) Ivan_Daylovich: It's our hate that brings us together.

Call the surgeons and tell them to take the day off, because I'll be doing all the operating now.

There's a point where this needs to stop, and we've clearly passed it
icebullet
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Blender » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:26 pm

Look at the kjw kco2, I looks good and works good
What do you fight for?
I don't hate Mossy, I just hate the fact he has more gear than me.
Blender
Soldier
Soldier

Team: C.A.T

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers