New Indoor Arena Eugene OR

Places to play Airsoft.

New Indoor Arena Eugene OR

Postby razazarak » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Hey all. I am building up a business plan for a brand new indoor airsoft arena (and if all goes well down the road, get an outdoor arena for spring/summer). I am planning on building this in the Eugene/Springfield area in Oregon hopefully sometime in the first half of 2014. Currently there are only 2 indoor areas in Oregon (portland and hillsboro). I have a couple questions hopefully you can answer for me to give me a better idea of things:

1) Would you be interested in something like that in this area? I am hoping to put it as close to the dividing line between Eugene/Springfield so its accessible to everyone.

2) What type of arena would you like to see? Ive seen arena's that are designed with a house type structure, outdoor/jungle themed, random buildings/objects, etc. I had a thought about a layout of a house and a front lawn but idk how you would like that. Any links to pictures of arenas/game screenshots/live areas you like id be happy to look at!

3) What game types would you like to see happen in the arena? I have a list of ideas but id like to hear your ideas.

Thanks!!!!

Kevin
razazarak
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: New Indoor Arena Eugene OR

Postby bye » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:59 pm

Mini-MOUT would be awesome. Please don't do a speedsoft style arena... IE, Random cover here and there with slits cut to shoot through...

Hallways, doors, etc. ftw. Make it something that would encourage knowledge of basic indoor fighting, not just run to cover, BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT, rinse and repeat...
Bye.
bye
Soldier
Soldier

Postby razazarak » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:27 pm

No speedsoft...check!! So with a mini MOUT would you like to see a couple streets with a few buildings that have a few rooms/hallways (possibly 2 stories)?

Ill be honest, im not a fan of painball palace's setup where theres things everywhere and you run and cover (as you described).

Oh and also wanted to point out. I fully plan on adding climate control to the arena so its not hot as all hell.
razazarak
Grunt
Grunt

Postby bye » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:43 pm

So it sounds like you're trying to do this in a warehouse? Like, you're wanting to build a "town" inside of a building?

Streets would be cool, but more so if you can emulate vehicles. But for simplicity sake, just being able to go "house to house" clearing each as you go would be pretty cool. Or make it into one giant building with a simulated floor plan. Like make it say, an apartment level, so you'd have hallways going around and rooms you'd have to enter. Maybe a few bigger rooms for variety... I dunno, as long as it's not a blatant PB palace/speedsoft where it's, random wood wall here and there, i'm sure it'd be awesome.

SEMI ONLY PLEASE, PLEASE. Full auto will take away all need tacticalness. *Lemme just hold the trigger down as i sweep this room.....* Hits everyone including the hostage. -_-
Bye.
bye
Soldier
Soldier

Postby yoboybooma » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:19 pm

That would definitely be awesome i would for sure go there
yoboybooma
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Goliath17 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:27 pm

Rooms would be awesome, maybe like an urban environment. I've always wanted to play in an urban environment but haven't yet had the chance. By urban I mean rooms, buildings, streets; things you would see in the real would. If you made it like that I would definitely make the 3+ hour drive out there :lol: Btw, what's the size of the area you're planning on buying? i.e square footage?
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.
Goliath17
Soldier
Soldier

Postby SA12 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:51 pm

Think of Tac-Ops and Oregon Airsoft Arena and....don't do that. Hallways, doors, rooms, etc. would be amazing and something that I'd be willing to drive to play at.
SA12
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SOTA

Postby mrgoldfishybo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:57 pm

HELL YEAH, I'd go every day!!!!
mrgoldfishybo
Grunt
Grunt

Postby bye » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:59 pm

Seriously though, semi only please. Maybe allow 400fps but semi only. But for god sake, no high rof spray n pray, PLEASE. lol
Bye.
bye
Soldier
Soldier

Postby mrgoldfishybo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:06 pm

i'd say 350 fps limit, semi (maybe some days full auto)
mrgoldfishybo
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Goliath17 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:17 pm

mrgoldfishybo wrote:i'd say 350 fps limit, semi (maybe some days full auto)

Yeah definitely 350fps limit and maybe full auto on certain days and/or game types. You can do what Gamepod and CQB city does and say 400fps with 10ft engagement distances and can't go inside billings and rooms with them, and 350 with 0ft engagement distance and can go anywhere. Just a thought.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.
Goliath17
Soldier
Soldier

Postby bye » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:49 am

Semi only no matter what on at least the weekends. I don't really care what FPS. Face masks should be optional as well...
Bye.
bye
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cyclops » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:22 am

If this is being held in a ware house I saw a video (don't recall site) that had really tight wire going across like 12 ft off the ground. Going from one side to the other both directions. Then he hung blankets from the wire to make walls. That way you can change your set up when ever you want and it wont take much time. DON'T over fill the warehouse/building!!! That's why my team doesn't play in any of the other indoor places. A 350 fps is pretty low and I hear some say they would like 400 so why not just make it 380? Face mask optional but recommended. Just have them sign waivers. I'd take my team somewhere that had actually something you can work as a team rather then take 2 steps and your behind another object. Make it so you need some cover fire to get to another point. Also if you have the height why not make some type of decking platform that only goes about 5-6 feet wide and like right in the center of one of the outside walls. Have some cover up there but that way you have spotters and that would help with communication which a few have problems with.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby Matt » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:38 am

Cyclops, unfortunately the face mask requirement is often because of insurance. Any arena operating without requiring full face and ear protection is probably voiding their policy.

I'd +1 for real world environments. The other arenas don't have doors, hallways or real floor plans. So you can never actually practice real entry tactics. Although this comes up every time somebody says they are starting an arena and none of them actually do it. You're in for a lot of work and you're going to spend a lot of $$$. You'll probably just give up and spread a bunch of barrels and pallets around. This is what happens to all other arenas.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby razazarak » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:58 am

First off I want to say THANK YOU for all the input...KEEP IT COMING!! Before I head to my normal job id like to respond to a few points:

TheDoctor wrote:So it sounds like you're trying to do this in a warehouse? Like, you're wanting to build a "town" inside of a building?

Streets would be cool, but more so if you can emulate vehicles. But for simplicity sake, just being able to go "house to house" clearing each as you go would be pretty cool. Or make it into one giant building with a simulated floor plan. Like make it say, an apartment level, so you'd have hallways going around and rooms you'd have to enter. Maybe a few bigger rooms for variety... I dunno, as long as it's not a blatant PB palace/speedsoft where it's, random wood wall here and there, i'm sure it'd be awesome.

SEMI ONLY PLEASE, PLEASE. Full auto will take away all need tacticalness. *Lemme just hold the trigger down as i sweep this room.....* Hits everyone including the hostage. -_-

Im hearing alot of want for an urban type terrain, so that is what I will go for. And keep in mind it'll start out as simple as possible and as business grows, so will the floor plan and what is in it (i.e. vehicles, building size, etc.). As far as semi vs. full auto...going full auto is like going full retard...you NEVER go full retard! lol! sorry had to throw that in there. No semi only will be the rule. I want as much tactics used as possible.

TFVmassacre wrote:Rooms would be awesome, maybe like an urban environment. I've always wanted to play in an urban environment but haven't yet had the chance. By urban I mean rooms, buildings, streets; things you would see in the real would. If you made it like that I would definitely make the 3+ hour drive out there :lol: Btw, what's the size of the area you're planning on buying? i.e square footage?

3+ hours?!? That gives me an idea! I want to attract as many people as possible. What would you think of this idea: You carpool 5+ players (including yourself) in one vehicle from a certain distance (to be proven by a license or something) and the driver gets half off everything. What do you all think of that idea?

Also as far as SF, right now since im just in planning mode im not looking TOO deep into the warehouses yet. However with a quick search I did last night to just get a feel for leases I saw one that is 3850 SF where the playable area is 110ftx25ft in an L shape (which would suggest ATLEAST 2 streets ;) ). Now is this optimal? No...but because this is just starting out, this would make for a good starting point wouldn't you say? I haven't planned out how much ill ask for in a loan, but if I get a big enough loan ill get a bigger arena to start, sound fair?

akiraspeedstar wrote:Think of Tac-Ops and Oregon Airsoft Arena and....don't do that. Hallways, doors, rooms, etc. would be amazing and something that I'd be willing to drive to play at.

I think im doing the one thing that they didnt which will make this business awesome and successful...im talking with all of you!! I WANT your ideas! I WANT your input! I WANT this to grow to be the best it can be and possibly spread like wildfire into other cities ;)

TheDoctor wrote:Seriously though, semi only please. Maybe allow 400fps but semi only. But for god sake, no high rof spray n pray, PLEASE. lol

Ok as far as FPS, im not yet sure what to go with. Im hearing alot of 350-400fps so I may settle in the middle and say 375fps. I may also make it a range for people who have different weapons, so if you have a weapon that lies between 350-400 or something like that. And yes I will say this again...NO FULL AUTO!
Cyclops wrote:If this is being held in a ware house I saw a video (don't recall site) that had really tight wire going across like 12 ft off the ground. Going from one side to the other both directions. Then he hung blankets from the wire to make walls. That way you can change your set up when ever you want and it wont take much time. DON'T over fill the warehouse/building!!! That's why my team doesn't play in any of the other indoor places. A 350 fps is pretty low and I hear some say they would like 400 so why not just make it 380? Face mask optional but recommended. Just have them sign waivers. I'd take my team somewhere that had actually something you can work as a team rather then take 2 steps and your behind another object. Make it so you need some cover fire to get to another point. Also if you have the height why not make some type of decking platform that only goes about 5-6 feet wide and like right in the center of one of the outside walls. Have some cover up there but that way you have spotters and that would help with communication which a few have problems with.

I like the idea of the tightropes and whatnot, but I probably wont be doing that right off the bat. Perhaps down the road as the business upgrades to a bigger building ill do that for the different houses to change the floorplan of that. But to have the whole terrain as blankets, I could see that turning people off as well.

As far as the facemask I dont know what the local PD would have me do for this but I think for liability and my own sanity ill require it, liability waver or not it should be required. If it looks like im going to lose alot of business, then yes...ill think about the facemask rule. But for now lets just say its required until that time...ok?

I dont want to fill the warehouse, but I do want to make it urban enough to where everyone can enjoy it!

As far as the decking idea, are you talking about a platform outside the playing area where people can communicate with their team as to the movements of the other team? To me thats cheating. If I have the room id like to see a viewing platform for others to watch...but not to communicate. Maybe use it for the next round to come up with your gameplan.

Matt wrote:Cyclops, unfortunately the face mask requirement is often because of insurance. Any arena operating without requiring full face and ear protection is probably voiding their policy.

I'd +1 for real world environments. The other arenas don't have doors, hallways or real floor plans. So you can never actually practice real entry tactics. Although this comes up every time somebody says they are starting an arena and none of them actually do it. You're in for a lot of work and you're going to spend a lot of $$$. You'll probably just give up and spread a bunch of barrels and pallets around. This is what happens to all other arenas.

It may be alot of work and alot of money (hence why im looking at getting a loan and whatnot) but I assure you I want to do this right. Thats why im talking with all of you! I plan on doing real world based on all of your suggestions, as well as give the local PD's a place to practice as well (as I see from other arenas that PD like to work on team building and whatnot in these areas). Its looking like I have enough support to do it right the first time. I am not going to do the the barrels and pallets crap...I think thats retarded to begin with but I also wanted to leave that idea open incase anyone liked it...which NO ONE does! I wont give up...it just might take me a big longer if I dont get a business loan...but I wont be giving up or downgrading. Im actually thinking ill draw up some ideas based on floor plans ive looked at in warehouses and post them for ideas.

Thanks again for all your input and I look forward to reading more productive ideas!!! Im so excited for this, and I hope you are too!!!
razazarak
Grunt
Grunt

Next

Return to Playfields