does any buddy else have a problem with FPS

Places to play Airsoft.

Re: does any buddy else have a problem with FPS

Postby Jester316 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:24 pm

EatMyRoost wrote:All these indoor fields are ridiculously low fps all my friends shoot 400 fps which is how almost all the stock guns come. im needing to play almost every weekend but can not find anywhere that i can play other then events that come up outdoor wise. any help or people that want to get together and do a decent size game.

Many insurance companies have decided that 400fps (1.49J) is too high for indoor. 350fps (1.14J) is more common.

I've always used the AP indoor limit of 330fps (1J), and usually build my indoor guns towards 300fps. Hell, I used a CA SCAR-L for a couple years outdoors that was 280fps and killed more people than killed me. Plus it was quiet, and there was almost no strain on the gearbox.

Benefits of lower FPS:

1)Less chance of permanent injury from close range shooting.
2)Quieter gearbox= less noise to give away your position
3)Less stress on the gearbox= increased longevity of your rifle
4)Less voltage required= batteries last longer
5)Less resistance in moving the spring/piston= faster trigger response, and increased ROF.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby ClownBaby » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:03 am

You forgot 6) lightin em up near point blank!

Long-range guns are great, but what happens when they get inside your perimeter?
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Reaver » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:17 am

Usually when someone gets to close when I am using one of my long range guns....well lets just say they usually have a bad day...mild case of angry badger syndrome when it comes to trigger control:)
When in doubt, empty the mag.
Reaver
Soldier
Soldier

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby Mindspeed » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:08 am

If they are within minimum safety distance I either safety kill or use my sidearm.
Mindspeed
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:54 am

People seems to think that you have to have high FPS for range. It is true that higher FPS means a harder hit but range is accomplished with good air seal, good hopup and barrel. I have heard of people getting 200+ ft range on less than 350 fps with upgraded hopup's
Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.]
Soldier
Soldier

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby CommieHunter » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:51 pm

The indoor limits are there for a combination of insurance and safety reasons. There are plenty of reasons why using low FPS is good for your gun, or you can still get more range, etc, but it HAS to be that low for safety and for insurance.

Given that you seem to be interested in playing at the indoor arena, I'd suggest having your guns modified to shoot 350 FPS or less. This would allow you to play both indoor arena and outdoor games. Even though many stock guns come at 400FPS, it's not difficult to have an experienced tech lower the FPS on your gun.
CommieHunter

Team: SOTA

Postby spazzticsmurff » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:45 pm

if you want to play indoor then build your gun for indoor use. if you want to retain the higher fps for outdoor use but still be able to use it indoors, then get yourself a crawler barrel and a spare hop-up unit so that you can swap out hop-up assemblys and make your gun a dual purpose platform. if you have an m4 it is super easy to do this.
spazzticsmurff
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:15 am

Buy an indoor gun.
Bigfoot

Postby Jmonday » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:55 am

EatMyRoost wrote:All these indoor fields are ridiculously low fps all my friends shoot 400 fps which is how almost all the stock guns come. im needing to play almost every weekend but can not find anywhere that i can play other then events that come up outdoor wise. any help or people that want to get together and do a decent size game.

Obviously its for insurance purposes.

I don't think that you'd want to get hit with a 400fps gun at pointblank range. But I'm sure you could try it, or something.:roll:

I mean, you could even bring a sniper, and do CQB sniper games. Don't change the spring or anything, just have it stock 470fps. Then post results here.

Some peoples questions...
Jmonday
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Sir Stubby Eyre » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:41 am

There are event games almost every weekend. You just have to be willing to travel a bit.
http://airsoftpacific.com/calendar.php?mode=main&month=8&year=2014 AP calendar for August.
Sir Stubby Eyre
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby ogrejager » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:51 am

Jmonday wrote:I mean, you could even bring a sniper, and do CQB sniper games. Don't change the spring or anything, just have it stock 470fps. Then post results here.

...and this is the guy that a month ago said I never say anything useful.

:banghead:

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby McNair » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:45 am

ogrejager wrote:
Jmonday wrote:I mean, you could even bring a sniper, and do CQB sniper games. Don't change the spring or anything, just have it stock 470fps. Then post results here.

Yeah, this kid has been posting a bunch of dumb shit the past couple months.
McNair

Postby AndyC » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:13 pm

This is interesting. We have a new cqb arena here where I live and the fps limit is 400 w/.20 if firing indoors, semi-only(there's a small outside area also), LMG's must be deployed and short-bursts only outside firing into the structures. No LMG's indoors. I question the chrono being used though. They are using what appears to be an archery chrono and contesting chrono results is not allowed. I don't own a chrono so I have no idea what the 'actual' fps is. I don't mind the fps or lmg rules too much but they are getting more and more strict it seems. I am now getting rid of a new rifle because of them. With my work schedule, I just don't have time to address the rifle and make it sub-400fps and there are no techs in my area. Just went back to my ICS L85 which is great for the arena.
AndyC
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jmonday » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:58 pm

McNair wrote:
ogrejager wrote:

Yeah, this kid has been posting a bunch of dumb shit the past couple months.

ogrejager wrote:

I was obviously being sarcastic, but I know it's hard for you two to actually tell. Anyways this is the only time I've posted this month, if you couldn't read. I guess I should let ya'll get back to 4Chan.
Jmonday
Grunt
Grunt

Postby McNair » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:17 pm

The month just begun, jr.

AndyC -
All of the "CQB" places we have here are all indoor.
The few fields we have that are outdoor and have structures all use normal outdoor rules for the most part, but they're generally single room structures. I believe I've only played on one "field" with buildings that had multiple rooms and they used the semi indoors and no LMG fire indoors, only out the windows and into the windows.
The only others I've played at were in California which used the same concept.
McNair

Next

Return to Playfields