[MISC] The Chronicles of Grizzly Gulch

This forum is for all games and events within the Pacific Northwest. All organizations/promotors are allowed to post events here, calendar posts are also allowed here.

Event Information (view in calendar)

Starts: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:00 am
Ends: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:00 pm
Duration:1 Day, 8 Hours, 0 Minutes

The Chronicles of Grizzly Gulch

Postby Norseman » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:24 pm

What: Cowboy Airsoft
When: Sept 30th - Oct 1st, 2017
Where: The Rocking M Ranch - Rice, Wa
Who: Spokane Devil Dogs
How Much: 25.00
PayPal: wademoss@rocketmail.com
http://www.spokanedevildogs.com

******DATE RESET*******
Last edited by Norseman on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Team: SDD

Re: The Chronicles of Grizzly Gulch

Postby Norseman » Mon May 01, 2017 6:42 am

Main Factions:
Monumental Mining Company

The largest gold mine in the territory. Sends its shipments of gold to the Grizzly Gulch territorial bank. The company also employs the Pinkerton Agency as muscle to protect its gold shipments and keep an eye on its miners.

Rockin M Ranch

Largest spread in the territory. The Rockin M sells beef to Grizzly Gulch and the Monumental mine. And keeps on payroll a large contingent of professional cow punchers that ride the range and protect the herds.

Copper Butte Gang

Highwaymen, Rustlers, stone cold killers and bushwhackers. This gang targets every lucrative industry in the territory. And they will kill anyone who attempts to stand in their way. No one knows the where bouts of their hideout, nor who the members are. It's rumored that some prominent citizens of Grizzly Gulch may be involved....

Grizzly Gulch Gentleman's League

Mostly made up of Grizzly Gulch business owners. Whose business is mainly selling goods and services to the Monumental Mining Company. Including liquor, gambling and prostitution. They also have the town Mayor and Sheriff in their pocket.
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Yeoman » Thu May 18, 2017 4:46 pm

Can we get some more info? And why is it so expensive? I don't mean either of these to be hostile. I just want more info like if we gotta look the part and if there are weapon restrictions, or if anything works. I also wanna know if it's so expensive to cover fees or just cause? Considering most games in Oregon are $20.
"That's his hat, Mr. Krabs! Heeee waas nuuumber oooone!"
Yeoman
Grunt
Grunt

Team: Y-PART

Postby Norseman » Thu May 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Sorry, I've been busy. I'll post what I have below.

It's expensive because I don't like doing things half a$$. You can read what Matt had to say here about our past OPs:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33476&start=30

Authenticity costs money.

-----------------------------------

This is what I've come up with thus far. Feedback is appreciated.
----------------------------------
"The Chronicles of Grizzly Gulch" Rule Set

All Airsoft guns must be,
1. Lever action rifle
2. Single action six gun
3. Double barrel shotgun
4. Break top six gun

FPS limits are as follows:
400-600 FPS - 75 ft engagement distance limit
0-400 FPS - point blank - no limit
Safety glasses are required to be worn at all times.

Do not intentionally target your opponents head or face!

Horses/Mules are allowed in game play. Please do not target horses! Fly netting or some other form of eye protection is required for horses.

Old West Dress:

*******Guidelines are not mandatory*******

With the popularity of the Single Action Shooting Society it's easy to build an impression. Numerous online stores cater to this time period. Movies like Tombstone are actually very accurate with their wardrobe selections. Watch it to get some ideas.

Some DIY guidelines to remember.
1. Blue jeans were only invented by Levi Strauss in 1873. Trousers came in a multitude of colors and patterns. Cowboys typically shunned blue jeans as common laborer clothing. Cowboys typically wore saddle trousers in black or brown with no butt pockets.
2. Men's trousers of the day had no belt loops, they wore rivet style suspenders.
3. Men wore felt hats of all shapes and styles.
4. Women wore dresses.
5. Gun belts were not of the Hollywood Buscadero style that came later. Most were the Mexican loop style holster.
6. The zipper was not invented until 1893.
7. Leather boots were usually worn outside of trousers, so that your trouser legs did not get muddy. Paved streets in the west did not exist.
8. SASS has something called "spirit of the game" in which it's participants are asked to do their best to dress the part and not try to cheat the rules. We also will strive to carry on this tradition.

Gameplay:

Grizzly Gulch is an open continuous world. You may either choose to join a faction or remain an individual. You may also form alliances with factions if you so choose. You must also choose an alias for your character. I.E. Deadeye tool, Big Sam, Calamity Jane, etc. The open world never sleeps, be prepared to wear your safety glasses to bed, you could be defending yourself at anytime. Your also free to remove yourself from the game play at any time and take a break out of bounds.

Leave your modern accoutrements at the parking area! Cell phones, flash lights, tennis shoes, etc. Items that must be in game will be hidden with wood, leather, paint, etc. We will strive to make all items in game play pre 1900 esque.

If you are hit with a non ricochet Airsoft BB, you have two options. You may either send for a doctor or have a buddy or concerned citizen bring you to the doctors office in Grizzly Gulch. This service is not for free. Doctors just like any proprietor charges money for his or her services. Prices will be agreed upon before services are rendered. If you are alone and hit you must wait 5 minutes before proceeding to the Doc at Grizzly Gulch.

When you are struck by a BB you will die in a loud grotesque manner (falling on your back, not prone!) keeping in the spirit of the game. Shouting matches of "I shot you....no you most certainly did not you blasted #%* varmint", ruins the experience of fellow participants and will not be tolerated. If someone is not calling their hits, tell a administrator, and we will give the person a talking to. Airsoft is a game of honor, it's not paintball, nothing marks your clothing, be honest.

If you are shot and wounded five individual times and patched up by the Doc four times YOUR ALIAS IS DEAD. And will be delivered to the ever after upon entrance to Boot Hill. Your in game cash holdings will be confiscated by the Grizzly Gulch territorial bank upon your death. The person will then be forced to pick a new alias and start over in the game.

Your alias if arrested and convicted of murder, attempted murder, theft over 200 dollars, horse rustling, cattle rustling, claim jumping or any crime deemed worthy of a hanging by the territorial judge.... your alias shall be hung by the neck until dead. And will be buried upon Boot Hill.

Each alias is given 50 territorial dollars at the start of its life. Money can be made after that by working for a faction. Gambling. Theft. Mining. Gifting. Assassination. Rewards. Selling wares or services. Rustling. Extortion or Bribes. If you run out of territorial dollars you can purchase more at the territorial bank in exchange for USD.

Main Factions:

The largest gold mine in the territory. Sends its shipments of gold to the Grizzly Gulch territorial bank. The company also employs the Pinkerton Agency as muscle to protect its gold shipments and keep an eye on its miners.

Rockin M Ranch

Largest spread in the territory. The Rockin M sells beef to Grizzly Gulch and the Monumental mine. And keeps on payroll a large contingent of professional cow punchers that ride the range and protect the herds.

Copper Butte Gang

Highwaymen, Rustlers, stone cold killers and bushwhackers. This gang targets every lucrative industry in the territory. And they will kill anyone who attempts to stand in their way. No one knows the where bouts of their hideout, nor who the members are. It's rumored that some prominent citizens of Grizzly Gulch may be involved....

Grizzly Gulch Gentleman's League

Mostly made up of Grizzly Gulch business owners. Whose business is mainly selling goods and services to the Monumental Mining Company. Including liquor, gambling and prostitution. They also have the town Mayor and Sheriff in their pocket.

Grizzly Gulch buildings

Block house
Saloon
Jail house
Bank
Court house
Mercantile

Rockin M ranch

Barn
Corrals

Mine shack
Mine
Ore cart
---------------------------------------------
More ideas.

Grizzly Gulch buildings will be easily constructed wood facades and floors with a wall tent set up behind it. As Cowboy Airsoft grows we can construct more permanent structures.

Gold and Silver painted rocks will be hidden around the ranch to be "mined". And can be sold for cash at the territorial bank. Mining claims can also be purchased at the territorial courthouse if you think you have found a "Rich" area. All gold and silver that has yet to be picked up within a Mining claim is the sole property of the Mining claim owner. Anyone caught by the claim owner jumping his claim can be shot, or turned into the proper authorities.

Rustling cattle....I have not figured this one out yet. Obviously even though I have real cattle on the ranch, and some of you may legitimately rope, I think it's too dangerous of a undertaking. Maybe we could use Roping dummy steer heads as currency, with herds being represented by steer heads attached to straw bales. Rustlers could simply ride or walk up and steal the roping heads, or get shot by cow punchers in the process. Need help on this one.

Outlaw activity needs some protection. What? Hear me out. Airsoft is a game of conflict, conflict is what makes it exciting. But we are dealing with limited people numbers. I'm thinking about making a rule that if during a crime an outlaw has his face covered, the sheriff cannot take a description from the victim or bystanders. Which is kinda Hollywood esque really. Ideas?

Your cash. If your alias dies in the game the cash on your body is confiscated. It may behoove a person if the alias has been shot a few times to either hide the cash or gift it to a buddy. Payroll, I think should be paid at 6 pm each day, the end of a "work" day. Cowpunchers, miners, Pinkerton agents can all hit town for a night of festivities? Outlaws and their cut of the loot are on their own to collect.

Rustling cattle- Each steer will be a head mounted to a saw horse, with a "steer certificate" attached to it. You must rope the steer with a rope and then take the certificate. Certificates can be traded for cash at the territorial bank.

Rustlers and cowboys must have ropes on their person. It's a tool of the trade. You cannot work for the Rockin M ranch or rustle its cattle without a rope.

Miners must have a pickaxe in their possession to mine gold and silver and to stake mining claims.

Thats all for now but there will be more.
Last edited by Norseman on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Norseman » Thu May 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Also, A Nam themed Recon school was 150.00 for four days because all of the gear had to be bought to create authenticity.

A western themed OP, I have much of the gear because we live on a working cattle ranch. And the 1880s do not require PRC 25 radios and batteries, etc. 60 bucks for four days is 15 bucks per day. We need some false front buildings put up which requires wood and paint. Not too much else.
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Riddick » Fri May 19, 2017 2:31 pm

Charge whatever you feel is appropriate. That is your right as the host.
Like us on Facebook: TBA
Check out our events: I'm coming back 2024
Riddick

Team: N/A

Postby Norseman » Mon May 29, 2017 6:59 am

Yeoman is young, I get it. Money is tight.

The cool thing is with cowboy Airsoft, it's way cheap to build an impression and buy guns.
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Yeoman » Wed May 31, 2017 12:43 am

I guess I didn't mean it like it's a lot of money, I was just wondering if this wouldn't just be a normal vanilla game. Since one of those costls about $20, and American Milsim and MilSim West are $175, there's a clear quality difference that can be seen in price alone. Just wanted to know if the price correlated with quality of gameplay.
"That's his hat, Mr. Krabs! Heeee waas nuuumber oooone!"
Yeoman
Grunt
Grunt

Team: Y-PART

Postby Norseman » Wed May 31, 2017 1:04 pm

By normal vanilla game you mean like capture the flag? Or rescue the downed pilot? Absolutely not.

This is a civilian open world motivated by money set in the late 1800's. I will have a town with store fronts, horses, cows, mines, etc. There will be no scripted missions or opfor or anything like that.

This is an individual's game. How you wear your hat or your six guns is up to you. Whether you choose to work an honest day as a cowboy or Pinkerton agent or a miner.....or rob them? Is up to you. Or you could spend all day making your living in the saloon winning at poker from cowboys or miners. Up to you. You may be challenged to a gun fight. Up to you. The four main factions if you so choose to join one are pitted to varying degrees against one another. There will be a lot of conflict and action. But if all that matters to a person in TOT ( Time on trigger ) this Airsoft event may not be for you. The guns of this era have limited ammo capacity, look for short, heated engagements followed by slinking off to reload.

If you have more questions I'll try to answer them. To my knowledge nothing like this has ever been attempted. But I am dedicated to this genre of Airsoft. I've played and ran Airsoft for a long time and it's to the point for me that something other than a blue M4 force vs. a red AK47 force template is needed, badly. And because of my background in other interests I have a lot of cowboy toys to pull this off.
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Shortbu » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:50 pm

Just curious as to what kind of feedback you're getting as far as attendance?
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Norseman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:46 am

ZERO.

Had some excitement over on the Single Action Shooting Society website, but no one pulled the trigger (no pun intended).

On the CAS city forum I basically had a blow up about Airsoft. And my thread was locked without explanation. They hate Airsoft.....period with a few notable exceptions.

Not sure how to bridge the gap, either with cowboy action shooters OR Airsofters. Airsofters have no money and no interest in cowboy guns and gear. Cowboy action shooters have money, but are an older age group and have little interest in running around shooting "BB guns" at each other. Which they deem unsafe and irresponsible.

My ranch isn't going anywhere and I've hosted Airsoft games there for over a decade. I will host as many cowboy Airsoft games there to make it as feesable as humanly possible. We just need people to show an interest.

I can shoot cowboy guns and ride horses any time I please, just need people to want to join in.
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Grounded » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:20 pm

any pictures? I love to see it!!
Grounded
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Norseman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:48 am

Pictures of?
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Grounded » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:58 am

The event.
Grounded
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Norseman » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:29 am

There was no event, no one showed up.

Maybe I need to do some sort of trailer to draw excitement?
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Next

Return to Pacific Northwest Events/Games