G&P vs CA M249

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

G&P vs CA M249

Postby Black Fox » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:26 am

Gents

I'm looking into buying a M249. I'm looking at either the Classic Army or the G&P M249.

I'm interested in the pro and cons of each gun and which one you feel is the better gun.

Thanks

Black Fox
Black Fox
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby league 4 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:32 am

If I were you, I would get an A&K and upgrade it, which would be much better and cheaper. However, of the CA and G&P the CA is much better. The CA uses the M249 PGC style gearbox, which is good for long bursts and doesn't have a very high chance of cracking, and the G&P has a Ver. 2 gearbox which is the same as an M4/MP5/G3, and IMO the V2 gearbox shell isn't very good, and has a kind of high chance of cracking with long bursts. If your only considering a CA or G&P, get the CA, but if your open to more choices, definitely get the A&K.
Last edited by league 4 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
league 4
Ranger
Ranger

Team: 9/G

Postby Black Fox » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:51 am

Thanks League

I'm looking for quality as well as playability. The gun will be used as a display gun for my HMMWV as well as for airsoft combat.

I'm aware of the A&K and the Echo-1 M249. I have seen the Echo-1 but not the A&K. From my understanding the visual quality is not as good as the G&P, CA or TOP for that matter.

I have actually already done a fair amount of research. What I'm looking for are those who already own one or are personally familiar with them. I'd like to know about their looks, durability, playability and so on.
Black Fox
Grunt
Grunt

Postby league 4 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:42 pm

I can tell you the G&P will be the best externally, and would work well as a display gun, but the CA or A&K will be great for a display gun too. Any would work for that, but the CA and A&K will perform better.
league 4
Ranger
Ranger

Team: 9/G

Postby LiquidSnak » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:06 pm

OK, well I'm gonna jump in and just throw it out there that:

A&K < C.A.

A&K < G&P
Biggest Postwhore, 2008
Osprey wrote:
McNair wrote:Are you guys really that f***ing daft?
I'm sorry I didn't know I had to hear to read a post

I leave for FIVE MINUTES, and there's flies having SEX ON MY KEYS D:
LiquidSnak

Postby Martin. » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:26 pm

I have played with 2 different CA M249's and I own a G&P M249 Para and i'm definitely glad i purchased the G&P. Aside from me blowing pistons a few times because i was going for insane ROF it's been a great gun. Out of the box it chronos 400fps, it gets accurate point target at approximately 40 - 50 yards and then a good area target after that. Some people like the fact that G&P has Ver II gearboxes in their SAW's, but others say that CA's design is better since you can replace the spring alone in a minute or so. I like the Ver II gearbox in the SAW because it seems to have a crisper feed from the bottom rather than going out through a tube. although the price tag is high i would really recommend G&P over anything else.
Last edited by Martin. on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin.
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Beran » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:33 pm

ive never owned a G&P, although ive had the chance to check one out up close and it was nice. i have owned the A&K Para and a CA Mk2. unless you get up close and look for it, they are pretty damn similar as far as aesthetics, the A&K is a clone of the CA. the CA has some better markings if i remember right, but otherwise they are very close. the CA will have better quality than the A&K, but you cant beat the price tag on the A&K. you can get two of them for the price of a CA.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Postby Victory » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:32 pm

I'd quicker pick an A&K over the G&P (A Version 2 mechbox with no frontal support? I'll pass on that.).

For looks, A&K also wins over the Classic Army, however, out of the box, Classic Army can be better than A&K. But Classic Army is also more expensive.

And about TOP...don't even go there. They're the nasty wound of the airsoft LMG world.

What I would do, grab an A&K M249 MKII. Airsplat has them for $250, and they have a free shipping code. Then I'd log onto ClassicAirsoft.net, go under general section, check out the LMG thread made by the user "Daytonagun"...read through the thread. If you like what you see, Daytonagun sells GBB drop-in kits for the M249 series for about $500. So for about $750, you will have a superior platform that's both realistic, and good looking, as well as reliable.

-Vic

P.S. Wut am best gnu?

P.P.S. HMMWV? Pics? :D
Victory
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Martin. » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:52 pm

I've never heard of a G&P SAW Ver II gearbox cracking due to stress. They're made well.
Martin.
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:06 pm

I own 2.5 classic army SAWs, and have worked on several A&K/Echo1 saws. Ben's G&P saw is amazing, and in general the V2 gear box is pretty sweet. However I feel that the PGC gear box is better, since it was specially made for the SAW. I do like the quick change spring, and that it take the same upgrades as a M4/M16. It is also a tank, I am the only person that I have ever heard of that has broken one.

With that said, I would not buy an A&K/Echo1 saw, because even though their gear box is basically a clone of the PGC, and their body is basically a clone of a CA they have some major flaws.

The first one I noticed was that almost every hole, screw, baring, etc, still had metal burs in it. Also the stock gears we very hard to remove, so if a gear would be striped it would be more difficult to change them.

2nd the stock hopups are also poorly finished, two out of the four that I have seen either still had metal burs in them or were poorly drilled so the bb's didn't fed very well.

3rd there is much more plastic on the gun then the CA or G&P. I personally want a gun that is rock solid, and metal tends to be stronger and more durable then plastic. I am a big guy so I want to know that if I fall on my SAW that I can pick it up it will still work fine. Also maybe this is just the Milsim in me but I like a gun that feels real and has the same metal, or as close as I can get, as the real steel version.

There are other minor issues that have to deal with quality control and overall quality, but I feel that those are the main problems I have. I feel that the CA is the best chose for the M249, also with the price drop you can find them for around 600 bucks or even less at other places. I know that 600 is a lot of money but not to long ago they were twice the much. I feel that people should know that M249 is not a cheap weapon, with the cost of BB’s, upgrades you will blow through the price difference between the A&K/Echo1 in no time, why not spend a little more up front and get a better quality, more reliable platform.

"Jesus wept and it's no wonder why"
Ash
Ranger
Ranger

Team: SOTA

Postby Bad Karma » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:08 pm

Edit: Ash beat me to it.

While splitting well-made gearboxes is a somewhat rare problem, I think a case can be made for the PGC gearbox of the CA SAW over the G&P's standard Version II gearbox, in measure of long-term reliability for sustained, high speed fire. That's the whole idea the PGC was designed upon. It was meant for that kind of abuse. Just as you wouldn't (or shouldn't) do 100rd bursts out of an M4, you shouldn't out of the G&P either.

The G&P has excellent externals, but when upgraded properly, the CA will win out in performance and reliability.
Biggest Postwhore 2009
Author of the Best Post of 2009
XO of the Best Team of 2009
Bad Karma

Team: SOTA

Postby Pulsipher » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:20 pm

I just popped into the classicairsoft.net thread with datona and OMG i want a gbb kit for my 249
Pulsipher

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Mtgriz » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:15 pm

I think the CA is going to be your best bet. The quality of the CA over the A&K has been documented on numerous forums and by numerous LMG gurus. The A&K is by no means a poor choice, but over the long run, people have found the CA to withstand the rigours of upgrades and regular use better. I would also submit that if you have the cash to have a hummer available for display and airsoft use, the difference in cash between a CA and A&K shouldn't be a big deal to you.

I'd also take the CA over the G&P, for the gearbox reason primarily. The externals on the G&P are phenominal, no arguing that, but the PGC gearbox is definitely a better choice for durability.

I own a CA SAW and have held and operated a G&P model. Both are fantastiic choices, and you'll be happy with either. But in the long run, a CA M249 will stand up to the abuse better.
Mtgriz
Grunt
Grunt

Postby UBCS Wraith » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:13 pm

Around here, just about everyone who has a SAW uses a CA one. REALLY long bursts wont hurt the gun, it's made for it. Dont know if there's any truth to it, but when my buddy let me use it to keep people out of the hallway at my old CQB field, he told me to never take anything shorter than a 5 second burst. He said "it'll **** up the gearbox." Dont know if there's any truth to that, but the the CA M249 para was built like a heavy tank. I'd opt for a sound activated box mag though ;) . Holding the bottom of the box while shooting sucks. They're also extremely solid internally. I dont know about the A&K/Echo or G&Ps though, so I can't say if either is more or less solid internally or externally.
UBCS Wraith
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Postby Black Fox » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:22 pm

Gents

Thanks for the excellent replies. You’ve answer many of my questions, especially Ash & Mtgriz. (Ash, I think you would look better in purple):-) I still have a few more and some comments to add but I don’t have much time to post at the moment. It seems the CA tends to be the favorite but I’m sporting wood over the G&P M249 SF http://www.gp-web.com/en/productspop.php?pid=1988

One question though is how does the drum mags compare for the CA and G&P? I hear the G&P is more reliable than the CA. Also, how are the power hook-ups for the PARA version?

Victory, when I get back from my trip I’ll post pics of my HMMWV along with a .50 cal (Both real and airsoft) and my Trigger Happy M-240. (Three words on the M240, Nice, Very Nice!) :D
Black Fox
Grunt
Grunt

Next

Return to Community General Discussion