Bar 10 beast

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

Bar 10 beast

Postby Marpat » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:28 pm

OK so i am getting a JG bar 10 in a few days. i know alone a Bar 10 is a pretty worthless gun but they also make great and inexpensive bases. this is why i have decided to make my upgraded sniper rifle from this gun. (I already have an upgraded m16 so i don't need anyone telling me not to get a sniper) i have made a list of parts i want to get for my bar 10 and i just wanted some suggestions on what i might want to change and why. i don't want to go much over $500 for all the parts but in some cases i might make exceptions.

$25 - Laylax PSS10 170 spring
$135 -Laylax PSS10 Zero Trigger (includes Orange High Pressure Piston)
$27 -Laylax PSS10 Spring Guide
$90 -Laylax Teflon Cylinder
$26 -Laylax PSS10 Air Seal Damper Cylinder Head
$80 -EdGi barrel
$26-Firefly Hard Bucking
$15 -PolarStar barrel spacers
$28 -SRC bipod

Thanks!
-Jus skiddin-
Marpat
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Bar 10 beast

Postby Jester316 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:39 pm

Get rid of the bipod and barrel spacers.

Bipods are heavy and cumbersome and get in the way more then they help.

The barrel spacers you can make on your own using electrical tape wrapped around the barrel, or I used sheets of packing foam cut in circles along the length of my barrel.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Cloudyrains » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:12 pm

Jester316 wrote:Get rid of the bipod and barrel spacers.

Bipods are heavy and cumbersome and get in the way more then they help.

The barrel spacers you can make on your own using electrical tape wrapped around the barrel, or I used sheets of packing foam cut in circles along the length of my barrel.

The nice thing about those barrel spacers is that they are not heat/cold sensitive and hold their shape year round. Although yes you could just easily wrap your barrel in electrical tape, use foam, or even spray some foam caulk in it provided you aren't planning on taking the barrel out anytime soon and don't screw up.
Cloudyrains
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jester316 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:32 pm

Read my post on barrel spacers just over halfway down in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=31216&p=577540&hilit=barrel+spacers#p577540

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby Fallen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:30 am

You mean to your upgraded m16 as in the one u put a barrel in and that's it?
Fallen
Recruit
Recruit

Team: Infidel

Postby bushman » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:37 pm

you can also use hot wax as barrel spacers. you just full the outer barrel with the wax. just make sure to have something preventing it from getting to the hopup :) but it is an entire barrel spacer. as for bar 10s :( i hate them with a passion!!!!! i would say get a 90 degree zero trigger pack!!! the trigger boxes are easy to shim on the normal one but they stink!!! i have put too much time and money into mine and it still hates me. just food for thought. but i like the upgrades you are getting. they should do nice. and it all depends with the bipod , i have a 6-9 inch haris style on my l96. and i love it :) so it all depends on how you like to play and weather you want the extra weight. also for the front sling swivel, hate that too it became striped on me :( so if that happens ground down the internal casing and throw a nut on the end of it :) hope this helps.
bushman
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jester316 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:56 pm

Hot wax is nice, until you play on a hot day and it gets soft/melts in your outer barrel.

Bipods are nice on flat level surfaces... But we don't play on flat level surfaces. It's easier to just brace on a log of against a tree.

Slings on a bolt action just get in the way. They'll hang up on more things then you really care about.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby B.O.P. Hawk » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:09 pm

I would say forget the bucking, spacers, and bipod. Latter two for what Jester said, and the first for this reason:
For pretty close to the same price as those parts subtracted, you can get the PDI Hop up unit with an AEG bucking and barrel. It's easier to work with, and there are a ton more options in the AEG lineup. I have had problems with EdGi barrels in the past, but have never had to deal with a single misfire, etc. out of my Madbull barrel.

You'll just want to get the PDI hop up unit later if you stay serious about bolts, so why not tackle it now and have your performance be that much better? It is definably worth the little extra coin, especially considering the zero-trig...

The Bar-10 model comes with a cylinder head too, so nix that as well.

EDIT
Also, I didn't see a Scope on your list. I would invest in a nice, clear scope with a fairly flexible eye relief. You really don't want to skimp out on this, so plan to spend about $60 on one.

"The Last Thing You Never See"
Birds of Prey: squad assault sniper
B.O.P. Hawk
Soldier
Soldier

Team: BoP

Postby Jester316 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:42 pm

I would stay with the VSR-10 hop up unit. The firefly vsr10 buckings are great. I've used one from day one with my bolt. Barrels are out there, you just have to dig. I was lucky enough to get one hand made by one of the greatest airsoft snipers to be on this forum.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby bushman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:00 pm

ya. true that the normal hopup is the best way to start out! you could go for the pdi. but then it makes you want to spend more and more, to make it more accurate. but the firefly buckings are the bomb!!!! and making them can be fun too if ya know how to do it ;) and jester absolutely that would be a problem. never thought of that :O i will have to look into some new spacers :)
bushman
Grunt
Grunt

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers