Semi Auto vs. Bolt Action

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

Semi Auto vs. Bolt Action

Postby prowl375 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:11 pm

Ok, another guy on my team thinks that theres no such thing as a semi auto sniper rifle and that nothing beats bolt action. I think he's wrong.

Also, my field considers bolt actions only to be sniper rifles. This excludes all DMRs like myself, GBB guns such as the new GBB Dragunov and the KC-02, the TM PSG-1, CYMA Dragunov, and any other sniper rifle with select fire.

I feel that this just isn't right. In life there are semi-auto sniper rifles. Barrett M82, Accuracy International AS50, Barrett M98, the Dragunov, HK417, even the WA2000. Why should there be no such thing as semi automatic sniper rifles in Airsoft? This is like prejudice against semi auto fans everywhere.
Team Tactical Annihilation.

Tactics, Annihilation, Success.
prowl375
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Re: Semi Auto vs. Bolt Action

Postby bye » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:33 pm

I'll fight both sides I guess.

Semi auto pros: You're right, there are plenty of semi-auto "sniper rifles". On AP there IS a DMR exception to FPS (475) compared to full auto 400.

Arguments: Semi auto in airsoft with an 11.1v or even 9.6v and a trained shooter can be near as fast as a full auto at a 75fps difference.
Bye.
bye
Soldier
Soldier

Postby prowl375 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:24 pm

Good point, but any decent sniper knows that shooting speed isnt worth sacrificing your aim. If you try and do any trigger finger crap, the scope is going to move and you"ll miss most shots. The point of being a sniper is being able to get long distance one shot kills.

prowl375
Soldier
Soldier

Postby bye » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Tell that to guys clearing rooms with their M110... Besides, you kinda just hurt your own argument there...

The cool thing with semis is there's no bolt to screw around with. You can keep your gun on target and your grip doesn't have to change at all. I am all for the SPR/SR25 deal, your statement made very little sense quite honestly.
Bye.
bye
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cloudyrains » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:01 pm

Both mechanics serve different roles on the battlefield. What it boils down to in airsoft is that DMRs are limited by AEG mechanics and Bolts are not. On the other hand, being able to follow up with your first shot without having to rack a bolt is a huge asset. Generally whatever fits your play style/feels best in your hands is the way to go. There is no one "right" way for every situation and scenario.
Cloudyrains
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Unicorn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:05 pm

I don't understand what this thread is about. Are you asking which is better or you just want to confirm that there are semi-auto snipers?

Also AP standard rules are 400 fps on all aegs, semi or full. There are games that allow other fps limits but those are done by the event's op.

That being said semi only dmr's are good for certain things just as bolts are. A standard aeg(minus a p*) could never be quieter than a correctly done bolt. There are just more parts to make noise. Dmr's can shoot multiple rounds without having to re-sight every time.

So if the question is which do we consider is better, than there is no real answer because everyone is different. People choose a platform they like and do whatever they want. If you like a dmr and your friend like a bolt there is no need to fight because both are great for different reasons and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Nerf Sword kill: 15
Nerf shotgun kills: 5
Unicorn
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Orwell » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:24 pm

Unicorn wrote:Dmr's can shoot multiple rounds without having to re-sight every time.

Been playing too many video games. One doesn't need to re-sight every time he pulls the bolt. This entire thread is nonsense. Cloudy had it right: The different rifles perform entirely different roles. We may as well question why everybody uses AEGs when we could just carry grenade launchers. After all, they fire a lot more rounds per trigger pull.

/rant
Orwell
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Hamster » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:58 pm

Orwell wrote:
Union Corn wrote:Dmr's can shoot multiple rounds without having to re-sight every time.

Been playing too many video games. One doesn't need to re-sight every time he pulls the bolt.

I'm confused.

Are you saying you have no need to move your face out of the way when you're required to pull back the bolt on a rifle?

I guess it depends if you're running a red dot or have your rifle scope abnormally far back on your bolt.

Hell, I'm confused by OP's main post and what he's trying to ask... Is his friend claiming there are no "Semi-automatic sniper rifles" in airsoft? There are, they just get restricted to DMR rulesets because of the nature they're bound to: GBB or AEG.

There's probably been something repeated, but I'm just being a kid and too lazy to read this stuff. tl;dr, doods. But OP is like, fifteen, and so his friend is probably around the same age. We're all ignorant idiots that learn sometime.

iguanas/giraffes
Hamster
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Orwell » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:35 pm

Mercy from Hamster? Someone's growing up. :)

On another note, yes. With proper support and a good stock, you should definitely be able to retract a bolt without taking your eyes off the scope.
Orwell
Ranger
Ranger

Postby ogrejager » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:27 pm

:banghead:

Really?

Seriously?

I don't know where to start.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby prowl375 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:18 am

Hell, I'm confused by OP's main post and what he's trying to ask... Is his friend claiming there are no "Semi-automatic sniper rifles" in airsoft

He thinks that in real life there is no such thing as a semi auto sniper rifle, and therefore, there is no such thing in airsoft.

And its pretty easy to pull a bolt without taking your eyes off the target. This same friend has an L96 (what a shock) with an m135 in it. It was easy to pull.

prowl375
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ogrejager » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:48 am

prowl375 wrote:
Hell, I'm confused by OP's main post and what he's trying to ask... Is his friend claiming there are no "Semi-automatic sniper rifles" in airsoft

He thinks that in real life there is no such thing as a semi auto sniper rifle, and therefore, there is no such thing in airsoft.

Your friend is not so smart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragunov_sniper_rifle

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers