A&K Dragunov SVD Questions.

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

A&K Dragunov SVD Questions.

Postby Geoffrey » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:56 pm

Good afternoon everyone,

I am brand new to this sport, I used to paintball, but I enjoy the aspects of Airsoft more now that I am older.
I have watched a ton of reviews, youtube testing videos, and written reviews/forums on the SVD.

I found this: http://www.amazon.com/Dragunov-SVD-Airs ... roduct_top
It is only 80 bucks and from the description and reviews, I cannot see any difference from the other stock SVDs that are on the market.
When I buy it I would clean it (I hear it comes dry and needs to be cleaned/lubricated), replace the AEG spring with an 150-170 spring (I hear it increases range/power/accuracy), and buy some high quality ammunition (28 and higher?).

My questions after the above information has be stated:

1) Is the gun I provided in the link essentially the same as the other SVDs on the market? If not, please explain the differences with links if possible.

2) Can the Spring Guide in the rifle provided in the link withstand a 150-170 Spring? If not, can it be upgraded or is the stock spring sufficient?

3) Are the iron sights on this gun sufficient enough for 50-125 ft range?

(More information)
I plan on using this rifle as a scout sniper/reconnaissance. I am not sure if I will be getting a scope yet as I only plan on using this within a 150 ft range, I don't want to be blind sighted by staring through a scope. I might consider getting a reflex or holo sight though.
4) For owners or individuals who have had experience with this gun, what are your thoughts/ opinions in regards to my intention of using it for scouting/ reconnaissance?

5) If I am to use this weapon as a primary, what would be a secondary option? (Most fields frown on using this if target is within 50 ft) Shotgun? Pistol? Small SMG?

6) Would it be a good idea to wrap in camouflage/ghillie tape? Medical tape? (I hear the barrel wiggles a little bit) Will this have any effect on the performance of the weapon?

If one has malice or doesn't like this gun please state justified reasons. Yes, I am aware that in the Airsoft community I am still a "n00b" but I have done more than sufficient research, as well as talked to many people who play regularly. If one has discouraging comments please refrain and consider that one's actions can reflect upon the entirety of this community.
Geoffrey
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: A&K Dragunov SVD Questions.

Postby LiquidSnak » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:13 pm

First, that is a decent price, but they want almost $25 for shipping... SO it brings the gun up to around $100 anywho.

So I would honestly purchase it from a retailer where you can get high quality bb's and other gear you might want included in that free shipping. Amazon.com is not noted for it's fantastic airsoft gear prices, nor selection.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=5963

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... s_id=10084

Read up on FPS limits, and keep in mind that is not an AEG, it is a spring gun... The biggest complaint I have heard about that gun is how hard it is to cock the spring back. A 150 spring should put you around 450-500. Other SVD's are usually AEG's, except the JG is not an SVD, it's an AK abomination that barely resembles an SVD.

If you want a spring gun that needs to be cocked every shot, the A&K Dragunov is a decent choice, not the best, but not the worst. If you wanted an AEG that had an extremely long barrel and looked/functioned like a dragunov, the Classic Army is a solid choice, but will put you back QUITE a bit more money.

A pistol or small SMG is the recommended sidearm, as a shotgun can be bulky, however, given a back mounted scabbard for the shotgun, it can be effective as well.

FPS is nothing if you can't control where the bb goes, and I recommend a quality tightbore barrel as an initial upgrade, and then you can tune the FPS accordingly.

This is where my knowledge in spring guns stops, so I'll pass the torch.
Biggest Postwhore, 2008
Osprey wrote:
McNair wrote:Are you guys really that f***ing daft?
I'm sorry I didn't know I had to hear to read a post

I leave for FIVE MINUTES, and there's flies having SEX ON MY KEYS D:
LiquidSnak

Postby Geoffrey » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:09 pm

Sorry if my writing was confusing, I should have clarified:
I am aware it is not an AEG, I am not interested in putting up that much money yet, thus my choice in the SVD.
However, from what I have researched, it takes AEG springs....
Geoffrey
Grunt
Grunt

Postby LiquidSnak » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:16 pm

Yes they do, I was just clarifying because a lot of people see AEG spring and assume AEG. Looks like you did your homework though.

I've seen them shoot well, and like I said, the only complaint I've heard consistently is that they are tough to cock back.
Biggest Postwhore, 2008
Osprey wrote:

LiquidSnak

Postby Geoffrey » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:38 pm

How much would the TB barrel run? Link?
Geoffrey
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Osprey » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:09 pm

Geoffrey wrote:How much would the TB barrel run? Link?
Its depend on brand and length.I could only find barrels in the $40 to $50 range. That's for a 6.01 inner diameter tightbore with a length of 650mm.
A man can be destroyed but not defeated.
- Ernest Hemingway
Osprey
Ranger
Ranger

Postby LiquidSnak » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:12 pm

Depends on how high of quality you want to go. The aluminum barrels are cheap, and madbull makes a decent one, but beware cleaning with a harsh brush, or chemicals that might pit aluminum. They run $30-$40, and the SVD takes a LONG barrel, you can get a 630mm barrel in them IIRC.

As you go higher in quality, price goes up, and you could fare well with a 590 Prometheus, or a classic army 6.04 stainless steel barrel. Stainless is worry free, and less prone to warping and chemical agents, as it can also be cleaned with stiffer brushes.
Biggest Postwhore, 2008
Osprey wrote:

LiquidSnak

Postby Osprey » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:55 pm

LiquidSnak wrote:Depends on how high of quality you want to go. The aluminum barrels are cheap, and madbull makes a decent one, but beware cleaning with a harsh brush, or chemicals that might pit aluminum. They run $30-$40, and the SVD takes a LONG barrel, you can get a 630mm barrel in them IIRC.

As you go higher in quality, price goes up, and you could fare well with a 590 Prometheus, or a classic army 6.04 stainless steel barrel. Stainless is worry free, and less prone to warping and chemical agents, as it can also be cleaned with stiffer brushes.
I totally forgot about those. :shock:
A man can be destroyed but not defeated.
- Ernest Hemingway
Osprey
Ranger
Ranger

Postby LiquidSnak » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:22 pm

They are decent barrels
Biggest Postwhore, 2008
Osprey wrote:

LiquidSnak

Postby Geoffrey » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:09 pm

http://echigoya-guns.com/guns/index.php ... uct_id=439

Is this the TB barrel? Is it better? if the SVD is 630-640 MM and this is only 590, would the extra inch and a half make a difference?
Links please?
Geoffrey
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Cloudyrains » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi, and welcome to the wonderful money pit/cock contest that we call a game.

Anyways, I would advise against buying the A&K SVD from amazon. Why? You aren't getting a guarantee of getting one of the newer models that have fixed a number of problems including mag wobble and double feeding. Find it on another site like AirsoftGI, Evike, EhobbyUSA, Airsplat, the list goes on.

Anyways, honestly the SVD might not be the best choice for the roll you are considering. Don't get me wrong, I think the SVD is a solid piece of work, but what your describing to me sounds like something that could be handled much more effectively with a DMR, or hell, a well upgraded long barrel AEG. All in all its totally up to you though so do what you want.

Anyways, with the SVD, you are going to want to pretty much gut the internals entirely and replace them with better aftermarket parts. Most people will easily spend $400+ on a bolt just to get it to a point where it can contend with upgraded AEGs.

Also, on the iron sights and scope, iron sights are not a very effective aiming method with Airsoft replicas because of how inconsistent BB's are. I almost always find myself aiming down the barrel of my AEG and just adjusting until I start hitting home. On top of that, if memory serves from my A&K SVD there was no way to adjust windage, meaning you would never be able to sight in your iron sights properly anyways. If I were you I would bite the bullet and pick up a Romanian surplus PSO-1 for around 200$. If you do like the idea of a PSO-1, make sure you get a surplus real steel one instead of an Airsoft replica as most are known for falling apart instantly or just being general crap. Remember though that all scope mounts, including all scopes (Correct me if I am wrong on this one) designed for the side rails , will sit off to the right a little in order for the iron sights to still be useable while a scope is mounted to the gun. Only downside of this is you never have a perfect 0 at all ranges. But really, in Airsoft, it doesn't matter that much unless you have a serious BB lazergun.

If I were you, I would seriously reconsider your plans and maybe have this be a long term goal while you get used to the game as a whole and learn the ins and outs of it. I know for a fact a lot of people will try dissuade you from buying a bolt, and not without merit. But all in all Airsoft is really just about dressing up and shooting plastic pellets at each other in the woods with overpriced fake guns. Don't take it too seriously, and don't over complicate it. Do what you want, and have fun doing it :)
Cloudyrains
Soldier
Soldier

Postby LiquidSnak » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:58 pm

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=6046

I've heard decent things about those, but haven't tried them.

Decent stainless steel barrel that isn't going to break the bank:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=2751

Madbull's 590 aluminum:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=4533

In airsoft, you have to significantly increase barrel length to see an improvement. 1-2 inches isn't going to show. 5-6 will show a bigger difference, and would be worth the increase in cost.
Biggest Postwhore, 2008
Osprey wrote:

LiquidSnak

Postby Geoffrey » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:18 pm

Thank you all for so much help, alas, I still have more questions.
After the point that Amazon might have an older version of the SVD was brought up, I immediately decided to but from a dealer. I really enjoy Airsplat.com, so I am deciding to buy from them.

At the moment I am deciding not to get a scope, instead I shall be getting a barrel upgrade. on Airsplat they state that the barrel length of the SVd is 23 inches: 584.2 mm

I found this 590 mm Stainless steel TB barrel:
http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AC-UPI-DF-CPB22.htm

Question: WILL THIS WORK ON THE SVD? Is it a good choice?
Geoffrey
Grunt
Grunt

Postby LiquidSnak » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:34 pm

Yes, and deep fire is a decent brand, I have used lots of their airsoft gear and parts, and they are not the greatest, but definitely worth the money.
Biggest Postwhore, 2008
Osprey wrote:

LiquidSnak

Postby Geoffrey » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:41 pm

I have tried looking for a Classic Army, but I couldn't find one long enough. When I found a Prometheus it was a dealer in Japan and shipping was more than the barrel.

Links for a barrel?
Geoffrey
Grunt
Grunt

Next

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers