Airsoft silencers

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

Airsoft silencers

Postby Screach » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:56 am

do airsoft silencers, actually silence the weapon at all?
"For Gad and country"
Screach
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Airsoft silencers

Postby Soldier G65434-2 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:03 am

I've seen a couple that effect how the gun sound very slightly, but no, not really.
Soldier G65434-2
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:04 am

Some of them do. If you have an inner barrel extension, it won't silence it. But most of them will eliminate that loud "snapping" sound of the air exiting your barrel if they have silencing foam. You won't notice it as much from behind the gun because of your motor and gearbox, but it makes a big difference to people out in front of you.

But I'm not sure if Airsoft silencers all ship with actual silencing foam because of recent ATF crackdowns. Somebody else probably knows more about that and could chime in here.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Payback » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:05 am

Very little if any at all. They are for looks, and for extending the barrel for longer inner barrels. I have one that is foam filled, and while the gun is quiet, i think it's more to do with the parts i put in rather than the silencer.

Most of your noise comes from the gearbox anyways. Tune your GB, shim it, set the proper motor height and that will quiet it down more.

On the other hand the noise amplifiers do work with a noticeable difference at the receiving end of the gun downrange.
AKA: rbm33

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty
Payback
Ranger
Ranger

Team: A.S.T.D.

Postby Unicorn » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:09 am

Silencers do not exist. Suppressors do tho.
They are basically used to cover up extra barrel lengths or look cool.
Foam filled suppressors work sort of but are technically illegal.
Also bolt actions are quieter than aegs normally.
Nerf Sword kill: 15
Nerf shotgun kills: 5
Unicorn
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:17 am

Well shit, they must have stopped making good ones. Several years ago I had one for my Tokyo Marui P90 and it made a huge difference. Worked well for my M4 too, it would almost completely eliminate the snapping sound, most people had no idea where the BBs were coming from. Lots of people had them and they worked well, but again, that was before all the US licensing and seizure of imported illegal gear - and most folks imported AEGs and parts from Japan. 99% of your "licensed" products sold in the US probably don't have any type of silencing foam.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Unicorn » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:27 am

The quietest bolt action I have ever heard belonged to an old tm vsr-10 with the stock suppressor. It shot around 500 but you could stand next to it and barely hear it.
Nerf Sword kill: 15
Nerf shotgun kills: 5
Unicorn
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Jester316 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:15 am

I have a foam filled suppressor and it works very well. Ask anyone who saw my old CA SCAR, or my AK from this past weekend.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby nb » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Indeed, the foam-filled suppressor I have for my G&G UMP dampens the noise quite a bit.

I've been told on multiple occasions, "That it's the quietest AEG I've ever heard."
nb
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Evil Zergling137 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:49 pm

So, you get noise because their is pressure remaining behind the BB as it exits the barrel.

If you want to reduce this noise you can do things like decrease your cylinder volume. If the BB exits the barrel with close to the same pressure behind as in front of it your gun will be left with only gearbox noise.

You can also get a silencer to allow that extra pressure to dissipate before it completely exits the setup. They work very well assuming what you get actually allows the pressure to dissipate and is not just a metal tube for looks.

So the answer to your question is Yes. They do work, they do exist and they work well.
Evil Zergling137
Soldier
Soldier

Postby jdogbigmoney » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:55 pm

I have a foam filled one on my vsr-10 and it is super quiet. :D
jdogbigmoney
Soldier
Soldier

Team: [ODK]

Postby DJ » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:07 am

http://www.atf.gov/publications/downloa ... 5300-4.pdf

All you need to know about firearms related stuff. CAUTION, THIS IS HUGE AND BYZANTINE , IT WILL MAKE YOUR EYES BLEED!
Tread carefully in the area of suppressors, an actual functioning suppressor can run you afoul of the NFA rules on such things. Way too much leeway for interpretation is left up to the individual ATF agent. IE the knuckle head who seized the air soft guns from ASONW @ tacoma.
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
and discerning if he holds his tongue.
DJ
Specops
Specops

Postby Sonic » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:04 am

I used a p90 with a silencer that was deathly quiet. Also, a guy I play with in maple valley WA has a sniper that is super quiet And shoots like a Beast.
at first I thought shooting people with BB guns was violent, cruel, and demeening to the loser.
I later found out that it is all of that and much more.
Sonic
Grunt
Grunt

Team: Rogue

Postby Heretic » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:00 am

The G&G UMP's were quiet as all hell. When you added that long suppressor that was completely packed with foam you could not hear the snap or BB 5 feet from the muzzle.

I should have never sold that gun....

:(
Heretic
Specops
Specops

Postby nb » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:55 pm

nb wrote:Indeed, the foam-filled suppressor I have for my G&G UMP dampens the noise quite a bit.

I've been told on multiple occasions, "That it's the quietest AEG I've ever heard."

Vertigo wrote:The G&G UMP's were quiet as all hell. When you added that long suppressor that was completely packed with foam you could not hear the snap or BB 5 feet from the muzzle.

I should have never sold that gun....

:(

Don't worry, it's still in good hands. ;)
nb
Ranger
Ranger

Next

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers