Evike with a Tommy? (Thompson...you all care WAY too much)

Discussion of Airsoft use for re-enactment, WWII/WWI airsoft, Vietnam and more.

Postby PanzerFaust » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:05 pm

AGM MP40 $130 on airsplat.com
PanzerFaust

Team: N/A

Postby McNair » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:56 pm

.45 Cal wrote:
KillerSlevin wrote:Thompson. Tommy's and Thompson's are different, besides its evike they lie

He's ablsolutely 100% correct.
It's a Thompson.
Tommy guns are the M1921, M1928, and M1928A1 models. Because they can take the round 50 round drum clips. Those are the models that we sold to the British for WWII, the british (along with early american gansters and police men) started calling them "Tommy Guns".
The M1 and M1A1 models were made to replace said, "Tommy Guns" as they were to expensive to continue mass production, the Savage Arms company remade them with a simpler design thus changing almost everything about the gun with the exeption of the caliber. So the Tommy and Thompson guns (those being slang names) are, in fact, different.
I hate it when people hold up an M1A1 Thompson and are like "I feel like a 20's gangster" well that's funny, because a 20's gangster probably NEVER EVEN HELD ONE OF THOSE!!!
so, go take a history lesson before you open your mouth.
sorry if that was a wee bit harsh.

Thanks for the history lesson, tool.
Try to lighten up kid. You're still young, so don't get the better than thou attitude.
You're right, "gangsters" never touched a m1a1 thompson. However, if you really took a history lesson, "Tommy-gun " was a nick-name that took on a generic meaning to describe any sub-machine gun.
It was the PRESS who actually coined the term "Tommy Gun", as "submachine gun wasn't eye catching enough." Auto Ordnance actually registered "tommy gun" w/ a trademark. The said use by "gangsters" is widely exaggerated.

In many books, vets will refer to a Thompson(M1A1)as a tommy gun.

So, kid. Take the stick out of your a$$ and shut the shazaam up.
McNair

Postby Naked Snake » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:02 pm

Alright, after a little double checking and some homework,
here we go,
Tommy-Gun was never a generic name for submachine guns. I dont think that nazi's held up their MP40's and called them "Tommy Guns" haha.
however, you were right, (:roll: sorry) the press did coin the term "Tommy Gun", because the Thompson missed WWI and thus was put on the market, "Submachine Gun" didnt sound appealing to anyone.
and not all of them were registered as "Tommy Guns" by the Auto Ordnance, only some.
and of course the use of Tommy Guns by gangsters is exaggerated.
but that does not change the fact that they were used (a lot) by them.
and i would imagine they didnt sit there calling them "submachine guns" thus furthering the title.
"What are they going to do? SHOOT US?!"
Naked Snake
Soldier
Soldier

Postby oregonduck » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:24 pm

Quibbling over who named what when seems like a bit of a time wasting enterprise. The fact is, every WWII vet I've ever interviewed called the M1A1 Thompson a Tommy Gun.

Also, the drum magazine remained in service until the end of WWII. It was used throughout the Pacific War, and even some of the Thompsons that had foregrips were still being used late in the war.

So, okay, they may have been different versions, but they were still Tommy Guns to the GI's and Marines who used them, and they obviously served side-by-side.

John
oregonduck
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Munky » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:50 pm

i feel like such a douchebag for saying anything :(. i still want an TM M1A1 for re-enactment games though
ASGI G4 series, its goooooood
Munky
Specops
Specops

Postby Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:55 pm

.45 Cal wrote:Tommy-Gun was never a generic name for submachine guns
Perhaps its just me, but growing up, EVERY submachine gun was a Tommygun. That makes it pretty generic in my eyes.
Member of the AirsoftReview Mafia
Umlaut Rabbit - 28 June 2008, Unchkin Rabbit 29 May 2009
Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I

Location: Google makes me clever. Photoshop makes me beautiful.

Re: Okay, now it is time to get over this debate

Postby xps5000 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:01 pm

Sirus The Virus wrote:I am having a hard time finding a great (keyword, meaning not good but better) WW II Airsoft gun and that one doesn't look too sturdy. I got a 150$ UTG Warhawk AK 47 and it's alright but if i don't pull the trigger strait back then it won't fire. So I'm looking at a range pretty close to 200 or above. If anyone could help that would be great.

$150 for that P.O.S??? only utg id ever buy is the paratrooper. i dont know if my friend got like an anti-lemon(way better than all the others of the same model) but his rules. its no marui but its damn accurate. and yeah the agm mp40 is your only cheap WWII solution. at least electric. im not a huge WWII airsoft fan just because its so hard to find most of the stuff and there is nobody around where i play who would even consider that.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
xps5000
Soldier
Soldier

Postby CommieHunter » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:35 pm

4 months old. Woo hoo.

And you're touting a UTG? Great.

But hey, while you're on the subject, The AGMs have been joined by an M1A1 from the same manufacturer, available at www.airsoftoutletnw.com, and possibly other local retailers as well.
CommieHunter

Team: SOTA

Postby oregonduck » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:35 pm

Gentlemen,

The clone Thompson on Evike is also available at Airsoft Outlet NW. I played around with their display model not too long ago and was impressed with it, though it seems smaller than the TM Thompson. I think they have theirs for sale for $179.00 on line.

Regarding the use of the nick-name "Tommy Gun"-- every WWII vet I interviewed in the 90's and 00's referred to the Thompson as a Tommy Gun. This included Navy, Army Air Forces vets as well as marines and infantrymen. The term Tommy Gun and Thompson were interchangeable--at least in their vernacular. There were some vets I interviewed who referred to other sub-machine guns as "Tommy Guns" as well, but for the most part it seemed like it was a nickname associated mostly with the Thompson. This is not based on a few interviews. From 1991-2004, I interviewed at least 1,500 combat veterans for different documentary, book, multi-media software & museum projects.

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but the earlier variants of the Thompson that could take the drum magazines remained in service in at least the Pacific with the marines. I've got photos of marines using them on New Britain, Guadalcanal, in the Marianas and on Okinawa in '45.

John
oregonduck
Ranger
Ranger

Postby danneskjold » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:31 pm

The Cyma Thompson is fine, I have heard nothing but positive reviews about it.
danneskjold
Specops
Specops

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:43 pm

Tombstone wrote:Its CYMA, no thanks

No it's a Cybergun product.

Speak of the devil... CYMA might be going in a new direction with their company. ;)

http://cyma.com/
Bigfoot

Re: Okay, now it is time to get over this debate

Postby connorm09 » Wed May 21, 2008 6:47 pm

Sirus The Virus wrote:I am having a hard time finding a great (keyword, meaning not good but better) WW II Airsoft gun and that one doesn't look too sturdy. I got a 150$ UTG Warhawk AK 47 and it's alright but if i don't pull the trigger strait back then it won't fire. So I'm looking at a range pretty close to 200 or above. If anyone could help that would be great.

I've got a great Thompson SMG made by cybergun. Ya, most people say that they're not that great, but you'd be surprised. Got it for about $235-ish, and I looked at dozens of reviews online, and apparently its the exact same as the TM model that costs $300. The battery it comes with provides a pretty slow rate of fire, but I bought a higher voltage battery w/ more milli-amps and it shoots with a much better rate of fire. I also got the UTG Warhawk AK 47 and I've got the same problem with the trigger. So yeah, definitely look into the Thompson. Full metal, feels and looks great.
connorm09
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Carpet » Wed May 21, 2008 7:27 pm

They have this gun at Big 5, that says enough. Then again some of Killbuckets projects are born with Big 5 guns, but he is just Killbucket.
Carpet
Specops
Specops

Postby Naked Snake » Thu May 22, 2008 10:04 am

SniperViper wrote:They have this gun at Big 5, that says enough.

+1
"What are they going to do? SHOOT US?!"
Naked Snake
Soldier
Soldier

Postby danneskjold » Thu May 22, 2008 12:18 pm

Have you guys ever held it? Fired it?

If not then STFU.
danneskjold
Specops
Specops