What holds you back from doing WWII Airsoft?

Discussion of Airsoft use for re-enactment, WWII/WWI airsoft, Vietnam and more.

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:30 pm

Sounds fun to me, but aside from the gun I have no idea how much the kit costs or what I need. That's really the only reason I haven't done it.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Peaches » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:30 pm

Again the money issue, it is expensive and hard to find authentic clothing, gear and equipment. Also with that being said, my equipment takes up a 18gallon tote along with a drawer in a plastic bin, and I am quickly running out of space.

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."-B. Lee
Peaches
Specops
Specops

Team: N/A

Postby Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:54 pm

I know some people are going to hate on it because its not perfect - but Spearhead Militaria has some reasonable stuff for airsoft. It won't pass muster at a blank-fire re-enacting event, but as far as I'm concerned, its fine for WWII Airsoft.

As an example - Spearhead's American Airborne M42 uniform is 105 bucks (plus shipping). Lets assume you're using a Tommygun (its the easiest american gun to just go and buy), a tommy gun pouch is like 35 bucks from what price glory, a pistol belt isn't more than 10 bucks most places, and a canteen cover's 15 bucks. Parachutists boots, and a M1 steel pot, and you're outfitted. Its hella basic, and I'd hope that you'd seek to improve your impression, but that's only about $400-450.

German impressions are similarly priced for what I'd consider a bare bones airsoft-worthy impression. Of course, it can get far more expensive real easily. I guess I just don't think of it as being really 'that' big of an expense when compared to the 150 dollar vests, 100 dollar optics, multicam everything that kids are buying today.
Member of the AirsoftReview Mafia
Umlaut Rabbit - 28 June 2008, Unchkin Rabbit 29 May 2009
Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I

Location: Google makes me clever. Photoshop makes me beautiful.

Postby Ollie Twist » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:26 am

I want to do a British kit WWII era a lot, after I get my cqc stuff together I plan on it.

So can someone give me a hand here?

In battlesimsjump to destiny medic and wounds video at about 1:34 there's a british guy.

That's exactly what to do an impression of, to bring out my roots. But I have no idea what any of that stuff is besides a black beret.

I would be very happy if someone helped me out
"It's Ollie, man."
"NO FUCKIN WAY?!"

I'M DA BES
Ollie Twist
Specops
Specops

Postby Solid » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:30 am

I'd love to be a Fallchimjager or Stormtrooper, but I dont want to dish out $150 dollars for the camo and then find a FG42 custom replica or buy a $200+ MP40 or K98, so like everyone else says it all comes down to money.
Solid

Team: DRAT

Postby Kendodude » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:33 am

those prices at spearhead don't seem too bad. :)

I'm looking at June right now. To have a kit completed.
"One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth." - Quattro Bajeena aka Char Aznable
Kendodude

Postby Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:37 am

Ollie - go look around at What Price Glory. As you're young, and I'm assuming you're going to get bigger, I wouldn't buy their Wool battledress if i was you, I'd look at their Denims (50 bucks trousers, 50 bucks jacket). Basic Webbing, Anklets. A helmet would be a nice touch. then all you'd need is a gun. Thats the very very most basic - there far more to make it an acceptable impression.
Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I

Postby Ollie Twist » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:50 am

Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I wrote:Ollie - go look around at What Price Glory. As you're young, and I'm assuming you're going to get bigger, I wouldn't buy their Wool battledress if i was you, I'd look at their Denims (50 bucks trousers, 50 bucks jacket). Basic Webbing, Anklets. A helmet would be a nice touch. then all you'd need is a gun. Thats the very very most basic - there far more to make it an acceptable impression.

Thanks alex.

I think when I have the money I'm getting a smock first. I'm gonna look for one at andy and bax this weekend. As for the gear, that was exactly what I wanted.

So here is my to save up for list:

-P57 web gear and anklets
-smock in a British pattern
-Denims
-Beret

What kind of boots would be best?

And gun wise, what works and what does not (excluding non era weaponry)? I love M2 carbines.
"It's Ollie, man."
"NO FUCKIN WAY?!"

I'M DA BES
Ollie Twist
Specops
Specops

Postby Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:58 am

For British, I've only ever seen 1 photo of a brit with an M1 Carbine. As available weapons, i'd really look at a M1 Thompson. Its not really 'correct' (the brits bought M1928's), but its probably the most practical.

Depending on how motivated you are, you might consider converting a bolt action into a Lee-Enfield.
Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I

Postby STU » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:09 am

I'd do it but people outside of airsoft already look at me kinda weird when I describe what I do for fun on the weekends. If I told em I went and pretended to be a Nazi on the weekends the conversations would get a touch more akward I think ;)

But in all seriousness I would rock an SS loadout in a heartbeat, if I could afford it :cry:
STU
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:38 am

DeathAce wrote:I'd do it but people outside of airsoft already look at me kinda weird when I describe what I do for fun on the weekends. If I told em I went and pretended to be a Nazi on the weekends the conversations would get a touch more akward I think ;)

But in all seriousness I would rock an SS loadout in a heartbeat, if I could afford it :cry:
I think you could afford it!

Seventy for a jacket, Trousers are 40, hat is 15, a belt and magazine pouches are going go set you back another 50. Then find a set of east german jack boots, or get anklet-gaitors, and a d-boi kar98. Thats probably the cheapest german, its not that much more to go mp40 and magazines.

Of course its possible to improve on those bare bones basics, and I'd hope that anyone who did this would. I'm just saying - its not that expensive to do.
Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I

Postby wake.joe » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:46 am

As WWII games are hosted more often, people will gear up.

"Loadouts" will be next to gearless at first, just like ALL airsofting, but as the interest grows, people will buy more gear.

Just have to be patient with someone only having an airborne jacket and jeans at first. :)

Maybe start with WWII themed skirmishes at Scappoose or something. Get the gear-buying started off slow and steady.
wake.joe
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Junto » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:53 am

I agree with Joe. Some of the gear is a little rough to find. I want Jack Boots but I can barely find them, much less in size 12.
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:06 am

So don't use jack boots. There were other boots in use (the ankle boots come to mind, with the anklets).

How low does one set the standard? How long does the standard stay that low? Olive Drab BDU's with a M14 isn't WWII. Six months down the road, new player comes in and wants to do WWII, new player has OD's and an M14 - do we tell that kid to go home and come back when he's squared away, or do we let him and his buddies in?

I've been following the approach of "get squared away, then come out", because i think its the best incentive to encourage people who are interested. If you want to do it, you'll find a way (just like everyone who wants the new sexy special forces equipment finds a way).
Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I

Postby Variable » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:19 am

1. Money.
2. People to play with.
3. Re-enactment isn't exactly my cup of tea.
Variable

Team: APST

PreviousNext

Return to Re-enactment/Historic Airsoft