Any VN teams BESIDES US and VC

Discussion of Airsoft use for re-enactment, WWII/WWI airsoft, Vietnam and more.

Postby mister_kangaroo » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:03 am

as i know, korean wont keep POWs...kill after torture...
mister_kangaroo
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Postby Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:09 am

Sleepy wrote:How many thompson mags do you think would fit in a ChiCom pouch, and which capacity would it be?
I'd be willing to bet that you could jam two into each cell on a ChiCom chest rig, for a total of 6.

I have not found any photographs of the 'correct' gear for a Vietnam Era Thompson gunner yet, however, I wouldnt see a problem with putting on a 5-cell WWII Thompson magazine pouch on your M56 gear (in which case, you could probably put two 5 cell pouches on your gear, and carry 10 mags, plus one in your weapon)
Member of the AirsoftReview Mafia
Umlaut Rabbit - 28 June 2008, Unchkin Rabbit 29 May 2009
Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I

Location: Google makes me clever. Photoshop makes me beautiful.

Postby Sleepy » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 pm

Well, now I'm debating. After staring at that last photo for twenty minutes, I'm torn. I figured on carrying a CA XM177E2, and mags for that.

The debate is between carrying either an AKS-47, and three spare mags in the ChiCom, or carrying a Thompson, and those 6 spare mags. The AKS would make more sense, but the Thompson is still family. Thoughts?
The King Of al-Talk. Hey, at least I'm not a troll.

My dog wouldn't know what to do with a duck if she caught it, but she's cute. And hates Mexicans. +1!
Sleepy

Postby Variable » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:27 pm

If I were the one looking to create an impression for VN super elite badassery....
Gun:
M16a1, Xm177e2, Car-15(coming soon from CA) and maybe an m79
Gear:
ODs, boots, boonie, M56 web gear and Chicom rig, with tons of mags.

But thats me.
Variable

Team: APST

Postby danneskjold » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:50 pm

Dont do an M16A1 - there is actually a difference between those and the M16VN (forward assist and birdcage flash hider on A1 I believe).
The Thompson and AK were both pretty rare - you are better off sticking with either an M16 VN or XM177.

For my LRRP loadout I use a BAR belt that I picked up for super cheap - it can hold 3 twenty rounders in each pocket IIRC - total carrying capacity of 18 just on a belt.

A 3 celled Chicom can carry 2 M16 magazines in each pocket...so 6 mags. It can probably take 2 Thompson mags in each one too...I know it can take 2 MP40 mags but its a bit short.
danneskjold
Specops
Specops

Postby Sleepy » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:51 pm

Well, the AK is there out of whimsy. Call it captured.

Currently, my loadout is basically a mix of M56 and M67, with OD fatigues, and carrying, atleast, an M1911 and an XM177E2. But, mainly, I'd like an excuse to carry an AK. The Thompson is not otherwise practical (prone to receiver damage, no RealCap mags available), but my very soul calls out to it. But I know I'd also be happy with an AKS on my back with some mags in the ChiCom.

I'm already planning to carry a shitton of mags for the M177. I'm buying 3 boxes of 20rnd Star Mags for this loadout.

My dog wouldn't know what to do with a duck if she caught it, but she's cute. And hates Mexicans. +1!
Sleepy

Postby danneskjold » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:52 pm

Wait...2 primaries? Why?
danneskjold
Specops
Specops

Postby Sleepy » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:54 pm

More like a back-up gun. What I call a "I don't want to die in this shithole" gun.

Sleepy

Postby Variable » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:57 pm

Because 2 guns is more than 1 gun.

Give a man a gun and he's superman, give a man 2 guns and he's god.
Variable

Team: APST

Postby danneskjold » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:21 pm

He actually has 3 though ;)
danneskjold
Specops
Specops

Postby Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:58 am

binarypunisher wrote:Dont do an M16A1 - there is actually a difference between those and the M16VN (forward assist and birdcage flash hider on A1 I believe).
March 1965, the M16A1 was introduced at Fort Gordon ;)

The Original M16 lacked a forward assist, and had the three prong, "tulip" shaped flash hider (This is what I carry, because I'm cool like that). You can find photographs of interim rifles, with a forward assist, and 3 prong flash hiders, alongside rifles with a forward assist, and a closed in bird-cage type flash hider.

If you need photographic references, I'd be happy to look them up.

Now - like Binary Punisher said - AK's and Thompsons are pretty darn rare, by comparison to CAR15's and M16's (and CAR15's are bloody rare, by comparison to M16's). Personally, while I'd rather be a Leg-Infantry type for Airsoft Vietnam, we don't have the manpower, so I justify my loadout, and whoever I'm with's as "Battalion Recon". We might play a little fast and loose with some of the regulations ;)
Member of the AirsoftReview Mafia
Umlaut Rabbit - 28 June 2008, Unchkin Rabbit 29 May 2009
Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I

Location: Google makes me clever. Photoshop makes me beautiful.

Postby B to the RAD » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:49 pm

get a solid M56 kit. buttpack, canteen and cover, 4 M56 20rnd pouches, Etool and cover (optional but nice to have). then add a chicom. Chicom will hold 18 20rounders (if thats all you put in it). so thats 36 mags right there, you even got some spare room.
recondo graduate.
B to the RAD
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Claymore » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:00 pm

how about an Swedish K, now that would be LRRP badassary
Abu Dhabi Aviation
OAA - Founding Member
Raised - 1-18-6006 Anno Lucis
Claymore
Soldier
Soldier

Team: RAC 5

Postby Sleepy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:57 pm

People. Stop giving me so many good ideas. Seriously.

I'm still thinking I'd like to throw an AKS on my back. I know, carrying two primaries might seem a bit much, and the VC had a disturbingly easy time recovering weapons, but I think, on a historical note, that if I had been in a position to recover an AK, I would have done so.

In case you all were not absolutely sure, I'm rapidly approaching the point of mil-sim realism ad nauseum. I've gotten shit for that, but I tend to think, with a little poetic license, about what I would be thinking if the guns were real.

My thought process goes like this: If the XM177E2 I plan on carrying, a failure prone weapon (at that time), were to fail on me, historically, the AK-47 is a rather durable weapon. There's a popular story of an AK-47 that was pulled from the grave of a VC, and still fired. I could probably trust it.

Furthermore, if I run out of ammo, I'd be able to grab more from some of the guys I might have just killed.

Third, since my role seems to based on era Army Special Forces units, and SF units are noted for their close cooperation with indigenous forces (Montagnards, anyone? Robin Sage mean anything to anyone?), it would have been a good training tool, since the folks around me were likely to have AKs.

So, while American soldiers might not have been carrying AKs on a fairly regular basis, I still think, in my mind, that if I had the chance to recover one, I would have. Call it a sort of story. Picked up a full ChiCom and an AKS off a VC.

While the K is an amusing idea, and apparently demonstrated some effectiveness, I'm just not that big a fan of the K. Its a personal thing. Same reason I don't like the AK-74. Its just a weird personal quirk.

Taking the time to really consider a Thompson set-up, I'm just not sure. As I said, it's a family thing. But given what we know about the TM M1A1 (something about snapping barrels off?), and the fact that I can't seem to find any permanent remedy for this problem (Metal body kits), plus the fact that, IRL, Thompsons were pretty rare in Vietnam, I think I'd be more likely to carry an AK, or preferably an AKS.

My planned loadout is either a STABO, or M56 shoulder harness, with a mix of older M56 and M67 equipment. Mostly with the M67 filling it the bits I need.

Heres a partial list, based off what Moore Militaria is selling.

M56 Pistol Belt, Medium, Vertical Weave, Davis Fastener
M1916 Hip Holster
M56 First Aid/Compass Pouch
(on a side note, did you know this is the perfect size for a pack of cigarettes and a Zippo?)
M61 Individual Field Pack
M56 Pocket, Ammunition, Pistol, .45 ACP
M67 Canteen Covers x2
M67 20rnd M16 Magazine Pouch x4
M67 TriFold E-Tool & Cover
Bandoleer, M16
ChiCom AK-47 Chest Pouch
Custom Knife Sheath, Leather, w/ Pocket Knife Pouch

If I can't find a STABO rig, which would place my loadout firmly in the 70s, I'll wind up either using an M56 harness, or even making my own harness, depending on what works for me.

I'm still researching setting up an M1911A1 to fit my hand. Damn slide release is too far forward for me to easily engage. Hitting that lever involves a handshift I'm not okay with. A C96 fits my hand like a dream, but I'm having a hard time finding the perfect set-up. A Tanaka SAA .45 would be truly badass, but I'm probably just playing too much MGS3.

The spare bandoleer (14 20rnd mags if I'm not mistaken) will go in the asspack for when I don't expect to be needing it very soon.

The custom knife sheath there is a bit I plan to make my self. Its amazing what you learn in the Boy Scouts. I plan to size it for a Cold Steel PeaceKeeper II Rubber Training Knife, attached a la Naked Snake, as my little tribute to the great Hideo Kojima. It may not be exactly period, but there were apparently a few custom knives floating around in that time period. If someone can suggest a training knife that's more period, please let me know.

So, any thoughts on that?

Sleepy

Postby B to the RAD » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:00 am

I am sad.
recondo graduate.
B to the RAD
Ranger
Ranger

PreviousNext

Return to Re-enactment/Historic Airsoft