What holds you back from doing WWII Airsoft?

Discussion of Airsoft use for re-enactment, WWII/WWI airsoft, Vietnam and more.

Postby Captain G.H.O.S.T » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:31 am

mp40 and thompson are the best aeg weapons to use in reenactments in my opinion. but the sten can be cool
No. 5 RAC

Captain G.H.O.S.T
Specops
Specops

Team: RAC 5

Postby Voodoo Man » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:38 am

A STEN would be unique, my grand dad got a hold of one and i fell in love with the feel of it (along with his Ariska 38 but it's a phony pony and were never going to do pacific theater kits)
Voodoo Man
Specops
Specops

Team: DRAT

Postby Kendodude » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:18 am

"One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth." - Quattro Bajeena aka Char Aznable
Kendodude

Team: N/A

Postby Flyerfye » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:42 am

One thing that would appeal to me are all the bolt-action or semi-auto rifles that most soldiers had, makes it a little more interesting than just spraying BBs everywhere. Of course, if everyone else is running around with the automatics, I'd be a bit disappointed, you know?
"You are superior in only one respect!"
"What is that?"
"You are better at dying!"
Flyerfye
Ranger
Ranger

Postby LettuceHead » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:59 am

Kendodude... that's a valid point.

However, when I think Japanese and WWII I also remember the 442nd.

http://www.njahs.org/research/442.html

Most decorated unit in US military history.
LettuceHead
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:12 am

Flyerfye wrote:One thing that would appeal to me are all the bolt-action or semi-auto rifles that most soldiers had, makes it a little more interesting than just spraying BBs everywhere. Of course, if everyone else is running around with the automatics, I'd be a bit disappointed, you know?
I intend to encourage the use of Bolt Action and Semi-Automatic's. I'm presently converting an M14 into an M1. Obviously, I can't just decree "thou shall all buy KAR98's/M1's", but like you you say - if everyone's spraying bb's everywhere, then we might as well not bother even trying to do WWII.

Set an example - come over to the dark side, put together a WWII impression, and don't get a automatic.

Also - for the record - I am interested in Pacific Theater WWII too. Obviously it takes more work to do Pacific than Europe (scarcity of Japanese uniforms, and Japanese WWII Airsoft guns), but that is kind of a turn-on to me. As it takes a bit more effort, it makes me think the people who are interested in doing it are the people who are going to make it a better event. 5% of the people around here do 95% of the work to make an event successful. Kind of shitty, eh?
Member of the AirsoftReview Mafia
Umlaut Rabbit - 28 June 2008, Unchkin Rabbit 29 May 2009
Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I

Location: Google makes me clever. Photoshop makes me beautiful.

Postby Kendodude » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:57 am

LettuceHead wrote:Kendodude... that's a valid point.

However, when I think Japanese and WWII I also remember the 442nd.

http://www.njahs.org/research/442.html

Most decorated unit in US military history.

Oh yes, I know of them. I did a small report on them in high school about asians in WWII which included Chinese/Manchuria, Korea, Vietnam, and Philippines. I think I saw a history channel feature on them as well, something of the sort. Hardcore dudes.

I only posted that video because Valentine was speaking of a Pacific Front.

It's hard to find Japanese WWII replicas. So few were made. Most are Plug fire blanks shooting guns. Tanaka makes a Type 99 and an Unknown that makes a Nanbu copy of the Luger. KTW made a few awhile back too. You're only sure way of finding these is in Japan, but even then I hear they are rare there as well.
"One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth." - Quattro Bajeena aka Char Aznable
Kendodude

Postby Voodoo Man » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:57 am

I can get OLD jap uniforms fine its just that they are fitted for small asian bodies and most are too small for even me. Converting a VSR to an Ariska would be an honor for me to do to tell you the truth, it would just cost a lot of money and be a lot of long hours.
Voodoo Man
Specops
Specops

Postby Flyerfye » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:07 am

Being half Japanese, I'm all for Pacific games, assuming we can FIND the stuff for less than a small fortune. On the other hand, Europe had most of the well known ground battles. I'll always gear for the less liked team, just to even things up, so I'll try for a German or Japanese loadout, depending on which seems more likely to happen. Until then, I can be resistance with my 1911.

BTW, I'd appreciate it if you didn't use the term "Jap", it's kinda (really) racist. You probably didn't know, (most people don't), just a heads up.
"You are superior in only one respect!"
"What is that?"
"You are better at dying!"
Flyerfye
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Haloeclipse » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:36 am

I would love to see a local workshop, (at S4 perhaps?) on how to turn m14s into m1 garands, or bolt platforms into springfields or other weapons. I dont have the equipment or craftsman skills to do it alone. It also might help on cutting down all the thompsons,mp40s etc that will be out there as well as seein some of the guys you could be playing with.

Perhaps a sticky on the reenactment forum of period replica makes/models to help people know what replicas are out there, or even a how to get started sticky detailing a barebones american or german kit. This could help get people interested by seeing the cost as well as availability of period gear and replicas.
Never ever insult Halo he is a god among men ~achillesnick~
Haloeclipse

Postby Voodoo Man » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:38 am

i don't consider it racist and was not using it with an undermining demeanor. Im part black and live with it when someone drops 'the N word', but i understand your position and will load that into my box of things to remember.
Wasn't there a battlesim guy that made a sten and a few other custom guns for airsoft?
Voodoo Man
Specops
Specops

Postby Seagreen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:42 am

There is a conversion for a TM M14 to a Garand. (it's pretty simple from what I've seen)
"5 color Woodland....it's the new thing."
Seagreen

Team: AIRSOC

Postby _RAGNAR_ » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:46 pm

Guys, I’ll do a post on impression cost when I have a little more time. It is NOT as expensive as you guys are making it out to be. A very good Fallschirmjager impression can be put together for $1000 and that is with a real K98. In blank fire reenactment we do not expect a guy to have it all to turn out. If you join a unit they will have all kinds of gear and guns as loaners if you have some kit and are willing to add some kit every event.

BTW you can use a real K98 with primed cases and 8mm bb’s, there is a youtube video somewhere of it being done and having normal airsoft velocity with just a primer, so then you have a gun that works for airsoft and blank fire events.
_RAGNAR_
Grunt
Grunt

Postby _RAGNAR_ » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:47 pm

In the PNW we have a couple reenactment organizations and one group that does historical airsoft. Many units form many countries are represented. If you are interested in history this is an incredible way to live it as closely as possible without actually being there. Living the daily lives, tactics, and use of equipment that men had in 1944 is very educational and brings alive all the movies you’ve seen and books you’ve read (in fact you’ll want to go back and revisit most of them just to see them for the new perspective of having experience with what they are talking about.

The tactical studies are also very fun and educational. Of course we use real WWII tactics not modern, but even for those more interested in modern tactics there is a lot to learn. This is where modern tactics came from, just a generation away in fact. We use MGs for suppression, rifle grenades for defilade, and assault weapons and hand grenades in the assault. So many of the principles remain the same, it just takes more people to accomplish the same results with WWII weapons.

We have American, British and German paratroopers, American and German infantry, and Russian infantry all represented with solid units. I can put you in contact with whichever unit you are most interested in. My unit represents German Fallschirmjagers and most of us have an alternate impression for U.S. Paratroopers.
\

This is our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 1877589854

And this is our unit yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Fallschirm-Pionere/

You can also email me through AR15.com

_RAGNAR_
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:49 pm

Haloeclipse wrote:I would love to see a local workshop, (at S4 perhaps?) on how to turn m14s into m1 garands, or bolt platforms into springfields or other we/apons. I dont have the equipment or craftsman skills to do it alone.
As soon as I finish making this M14/M1 conversion, I'd totally be willing to set up a class/workshop date to help others convert one.

Just kind of want to have it figured out before I hold a class, you know?

Also, AZR Machine has a conversion kit. Some people say its amazing, some people say its crap.
Member of the AirsoftReview Mafia
Umlaut Rabbit - 28 June 2008, Unchkin Rabbit 29 May 2009
Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I

Location: Google makes me clever. Photoshop makes me beautiful.

PreviousNext

Return to Re-enactment/Historic Airsoft