Unpopular Opinion: High ROF CQB guns

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Unpopular Opinion: High ROF CQB guns

Postby Junto » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:39 pm

If a field, indoor or out, has a "no full auto" rule and you build an airsoft gun with a speed trigger that lets you shoot just as fast as many other guns on auto, even on semi, that gun should count as full auto. The rule is there to prevent overshooting and injury; not for you to work your way around with technology. Circumventing safety and sportsmanship by following the letter and not the spirit of the rule and thinking you're the exception to that rule is a pile of crap.
Junto

Team: DRAT

Re: Unpopular Opinion: High ROF CQB guns

Postby Norseman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:31 am

That is paintballesque.

They were using blade triggers 20 years ago. They are now building Airsoft AEGs with blade triggers!

https://youtu.be/d0k4rNXOKdU
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Team: SDD

Postby Dennis - Crossbow » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:38 pm

One question I sometimes ask during a safety briefing, being the Smart-A$$ I am is " How many time do I need to be hit before I need to call it" :)

It is a joke, "ONE" is the CORRECT answer, but it does cause a pause and some thought.

New tech allows AEG to fire at a much higher rate and more consistently. This is where good refs / admin are super important.

To the players with high end AEGs / speed triggers - With great power comes great responsibility ... Peter Parker principle. Mine is: Just because you can, should you?

It come down to education and proper enforcement, not always easy to accomplish 8)

Great topic Junto, I hope we see some other comments :rockon:
Thank you,
Dennis "Crossbow"

Remember to like us on Facebook and follow us on YouTube, Twitter and Instragram
Dennis - Crossbow
Administrator
Administrator

Team: N/A

Postby FishSlapRepublic » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:54 am

I hate semi only as it punishes the budget player as some stock gun semi function is next to unusable. Instead of semi only fields should use ROF limits. Most chrono's can measure it and there are even accurate phone apps that can, it's easier to police than fps as you can hear the difference, most guns can easily be adjusted for a lower rof and those that can't get below the rof limit can just us semi.
One mag one kill.
FishSlapRepublic
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Rentax » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:00 am

FishSlapRepublic wrote:I hate semi only as it punishes the budget player as some stock gun semi function is next to unusable. Instead of semi only fields should use ROF limits. Most chrono's can measure it and there are even accurate phone apps that can, it's easier to police than fps as you can hear the difference, most guns can easily be adjusted for a lower rof and those that can't get below the rof limit can just us semi.

I disagree with a lot of this... First off most airsoft guns are not pre-cocking so semi auto is the CLOSEST thing to a even play field as you're going to get, since most guns that come stock will have at least similar trigger responses. If your gun's semi auto is too slow it's probably a battery problem, not a trigger response problem. Since lipo batteries are pretty cheap these days that's still in line with what a budget player can afford. HIGH end guns or high end mosfets with pre-cocking, adjustable ROF's, on the other hand, things that a budget players isn't going to be able to afford, these features dictates both trigger response as well higher end / adjustable ROFs, along with other upgrades like quality barrels and hopups which allow for a more accurate shot, All these thing can add to the advantage of a higher end gun. But if you take away full auto it begins to limit the extent to which the higher end guns can out perform a budget gun.

Yes airsoft can have a "pay to win" feel to it with the idea being the more you pay the better your gun can perform, but in my experience there is a direct correlation between a player that relies on their upgraded gun to get the job done, and how good that player actually is in the field. In other words if a player needs a high ROF, supreme trigger response, or other heavy upgrades in order to get the kills he desires, then he is probably not very good at the actual game of airsoft. For instance my buddy and I went to Thnderdome this evening, Thunderdome is semi auto only and also has a posted ROF limit. My gun chrono'd at 204fps w/.2's his at 110 fps w/ .25's and we were both using 7.2 lipo so the cycle rate left a lot to be desired, but it didn't stop us from getting a lot of kills and people were asking to be on our side after a couple rounds.

The gun is a tool, your job is to use that tool to the best of your ability, which often times means you must adapt.
We do what we want
Rentax

Team: SpecDet1

Return to Safety/Legality