Wire Mesh Goggles

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Wire Mesh Goggles

Postby oregonduck » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:55 am

Gentlemen,

I noticed after the last SZ open day that the wire mesh goggles I was wearing took several direct hits. The mesh was dimpled in two places. I am curious to see if mesh goggles have failed in either outdoor or indoor games. Has anyone heard of this happening? Have BB's been known to penetrate the wires and impact? Does anyone know of an incident in which BB's actually shattered on the mesh and threw fragments into the wearer's eyes?

Thanks,

John
oregonduck
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Knuckles » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:08 am

John,

I have never seen a breach on the "approved" mesh. You can buy the airsoft mask (Like yours) and it has that hard-core mesh in it.

There is also the mesh that you can pick up at home depot.

One mesh stops (that I KNOW of) 550FPS BBs fired from point blank range leaving a neat dimple in the mesh, but not a broken wire. The other will let a BB pass through fired from a springer pistol at 5 feet-AND you may get some bonus shrapnel pieces of wire in your eye!

I am having Riddick mount mesh in my Wileys. I trust the mesh that he uses (and he does great work). Not having to worry about fogging is one of the reasons that airsoft appealed to me. That and not having to wipe paint from my goggles...
Please buy your gear from Rick Fisher; perhaps he can buy a Life.
Knuckles

Postby Riddick » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:23 am

While I really would not suggest using wire mesh goggles in a indoor setting. I would though use it in a outdoor setting. I have been fielding wire mesh for 2 1/2 years with only once getting shot in the glasses from a distance and I didn't have a scratch. You can have the possiblity of a bb shattering against the mesh but I believe that the shot would have to be very close and I am sure the mesh would absorb much of the force and make a dent and bounce off. So really the strength of the mesh is the issue.. However in all circumstances possible it's much safer to use the approved ansi rated plastic glasses.

to buy some mesh online.. look up (modders mesh) in google...
Like us on Facebook: TBA
Check out our events: I'm coming back 2024
Riddick

Postby CommieHunter » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:34 am

On the biodegradable bb package it says not to use with mesh because they shatter easier. I'm not sure how many people use those at big games, though.
CommieHunter

Team: SOTA

Postby oregonduck » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:52 am

Adam,

Thank you for that bit of info. We weren't aware that the biodegradable BB's pose an issue like that.

Knuckles: Next time we get together, I'd love to see your set-up for eye protection.

Riddick: What's your concern with mesh indoors? BB shatter?

---------------

This morning, I conducted a test with one of our Sensei-style masks. From 15 feet, I unloaded 20 .20's into it as it was strapped to the back of a chair. I was using a G&G GR25 upgraded to fire at 450 FPS. The 20 shots dented the mask, but none penetrated or shattered. I was using AIM BB's--cheaper precision ground. None of them split or shattered.

Next, I fired about a dozen shots from about 6 feet. They left bigger dimples in the mesh, but none penetrated and none of the BB's shattered either. I was hit several times by ricochets, though!

After that, I took a CA M15A4 CQB SEAL rated at 330 FPS and unloaded an entire mid cap from less than a yard away. Again, the BB's dimpled the mask, but it held strong. No BB's shattered either.

On AirsoftGI, there is a full wire mesh goggle & facemask set for $22.95. One of the reviews stated that when the reviewer tested it, the mesh gave way when fired at by even medium powered guns. This made me very worried, but my own tests confirm that the smaller, tighter mesh on the Sensei-style masks certainly holds up in very rigorous conditions.

Hope this helps, and thanks everyone for posting comments. They helped a lot.
oregonduck
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Catch22 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:03 pm

I've worn wire mesh goggles for a couple years. While playing outdoors I've been shot several times right on the mesh. The only thing that happened was the bb bounced off.

I won't wear them in CQB. Tracer BB's shatter like mad.
Catch22

Team: SpecDet1

Postby oregonduck » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:09 pm

Catch 22,

Tracer BB's shatter? Thanks for the insight. I'll test that as well.

John
oregonduck
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Catch22 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:13 pm

Yeah, Josh, Pat and I learned that at CQC5. (Three guns with tracer units in a small room, makes quite a light show)
Catch22

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Skywalker » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:53 pm

Oregonduck, thank you very much for that info on the test. I was semi-recently looking for wire mesh goggles/mask and came across the one on AirsoftGI. I read the very same review and it scared me away. However, now that i've had some serious confirmation that the sensei style masks actually do work well, i'm feeling much better about mesh.

As someone who struggles with fog, I thank you again.
Año de nieves, año de bienes.
Skywalker
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Pulsipher » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:43 pm

Ahhh I hate fog too!
Pulsipher

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Braddock » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:44 pm

If you just buy the ansi rated safety googles from walmart or homodepot or wherever they work fine.
If you keep moving your shit will not fog.
I rarley have issue with fogging, as long as I keep moving.
Braddock

Postby Riddick » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:52 pm

I was concerned with the mesh tearing if there was no fps limits..
Like us on Facebook: TBA
Check out our events: I'm coming back 2024
Riddick

Postby Zack » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:23 pm

I also wear cheap $2 pair of plastic goggles from work. Never had a problem with fogging. Just keep moving. A lot.
Zack
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Sleepy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:21 am

Which is well and good to say, but sometime we really don't have a choice in the matter.

(( I need to go to more games...Grid 18 was over a year ago! ))

At Grid 18, the Squad I was with was one of the first to get into the village during the second scenario. Which meant transitioning from a fast-moving assaulting force, to suddenly I'm in a tower shooting out, and I can't see shit.

So, given that Wire Mesh goggles still make me nervous, whats the best Anti-fog we've seen? I'm planning on running some prescription cut WileyX SG-1 V-Cuts.

Also, have we noticed if particular lense tints make fogging a more prominent issue? Is a yellow lense harder to see out of compared to, say, a clear one, if both are equally fogged?
The King Of al-Talk. Hey, at least I'm not a troll.

My dog wouldn't know what to do with a duck if she caught it, but she's cute. And hates Mexicans. +1!
Sleepy

Postby Imp » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:39 am

about mesh wire indoors i have had no problems with them. All i ever get are small little dents in my mesh which is no big deal. But if you have cheap mesh i would reccomend getting some high quality one beacuase. We had a sniper go right through the cheap stuff( ps no one was wearing the goggles at the time we were just testing them).
Imp
Soldier
Soldier

Next

Return to Safety/Legality