Is this true?

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Postby Scarlet Army » Sat May 05, 2007 9:32 pm

Airsoft rifles are fired by the use of a battery and spring. Air and gas is not the powering source of the rifle.

Trust me dude... most, if not all, of the commercially available airsoft suppressors are legal. They wouldn't be commercially available if they were illegal.
Scarlet Army
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby Ginocide » Sat May 05, 2007 9:36 pm

>.>

<.<

Shhhhhhhh.....
I don't mess with people who own guns, they have contingency plans.
Ginocide
Specops
Specops

Postby yandle » Sat May 05, 2007 9:40 pm

I have multiple air rifles that are powered by a spring pushing air, just like any airsoft rifle; this is the reason why many city governments find them to be air rifles, I know my city does.
Treefrog361
1st Chairborne Forces Operational Detachment-1337 (1st Space Shuttle Door Gunner)
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
yandle

Postby Scarlet Army » Sat May 05, 2007 9:45 pm

treefrog361 wrote:I have multiple air rifles that are powered by a spring pushing air, just like any airsoft rifle; this is the reason why many city governments find them to be air rifles, I know my city does.

Well that is very different from both Texas and Nebraska, which have state laws on the subject (although it is open to the city to enforce and add on). Airsoft rifles and airguns have two separate definitions in legal code here. Which is ironic considering my particular city has the most strict gun policy in the state.

Either way, the airsoft suppressors/barrel extenders that are commercially available... are legal in the United States. If they weren't, you couldn't buy them and most airsoft places couldn't import them.
Scarlet Army
Soldier
Soldier

Postby CommieHunter » Sat May 05, 2007 11:01 pm

I think Casca (who has practiced law) said that 'Yes, airsoft silencers are legal, they are not Class 3 devices.' in a previous thread about this. It's come up a few times recently.

Yes, my SOCOM and my KA lightweight and my Delta silencer all have caps on the ends that screw off. All of them will thread directly to the end of an AK (real steel). None of them would hold up to the gas pressure of a real firearm.

Like Scarlet Army said, if you can buy it off www.airsoftgi.com with no hassle, then it isn't illegal. If it were, importers would have a big problem getting them in, and retailers would have a big problem selling them.

Don't worry about it.

P.S. If someone wanted to get me a full book bound copy of the OR Penal Code and Criminal Code of Procedure et. al. then I wouldn't mind reading through it for stuff like this. (I have had some experience reading 'legalese').
CommieHunter

Team: SOTA

Postby Scarlet Army » Sun May 06, 2007 1:52 am

Exactly, there is no amount of modification that would allow an airsoft suppressor to fire a live round. It couldn't stand the pressure and it would literally blow up.
Scarlet Army
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I » Sun May 06, 2007 9:37 am

CommieHunter wrote:P.S. If someone wanted to get me a full book bound copy of the OR Penal Code and Criminal Code of Procedure et. al. then I wouldn't mind reading through it for stuff like this. (I have had some experience reading 'legalese').
Why not just read it on the internet :-p

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/

A big ol' bad full-bound-copy of the ORS would be real big, heavy, and expensive. And real outdated within a couple years ;)
Member of the AirsoftReview Mafia
Umlaut Rabbit - 28 June 2008, Unchkin Rabbit 29 May 2009
Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I

Location: Google makes me clever. Photoshop makes me beautiful.

Postby Zack » Sun May 06, 2007 11:03 am

That's some good reading Alex. I found the one for US code, but i have the link saved at work. Legalese is pretty easy to read once you get the hang of it. But i'd leave all questionable interpitation to the professionals.
Zack
Ranger
Ranger

Previous

Return to Safety/Legality