Goggles vs. Shooting Glasses

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Goggles vs. Shooting Glasses

Postby KA-BAR » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:56 am

Split off from Redneck Roundup Game thread - Nocte

one rule has quashed any chances of "me" showing up and that is your ....GOGGLES GOGGLES GOGGLES rule.

because i have been wearing nothing but oakley ballistics since i have been playing, have been shot in the face at close range and i am fine. as for your goggles are for protection....ask the duke about that. if a BB wants to touch your eye, goggles wont make jack squat of a diffrence.

there is a pic of duke with a huge bruise on his eyelid and a the BB still in the goggles..... thats never ever happened to me ( so far)...so yea.
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Team: N/A

Googles

Postby Painless » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:11 am

oakley ballistics

We want people to ware the PROPER eye protection. Not the plastic glasses you get from buying a new power tool.
Painless
Retailer
Retailer

Postby KA-BAR » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:13 am

ummm scott, mine are anzi rated, and are millitary issue.

anyways, have fun at your redneck party.
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Postby Painless » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:19 am

anzi rated
you are good to go.
Painless
Retailer
Retailer

Postby Pulsipher » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:28 am

wikipedia.org wrote:For this reason many organized groups of airsoft players and fields require that eye protection fully seals the area around the eyes, and also meets or exceeds ANSI's Z87.1-2003 goggle standard for eye protection: the ability to resist 3 joules of impact energy without damage. Some players instead opt for paintball goggles, which are held to higher impact rating standards, ASTM's F1776.[4]

:learn:

If my shooting glasses, which are rated to take 3 joules of enegy are not good enouhg protection then i fear the fps on the guns shooting!

But its your show I hope you folks who still own full seal have fun
Pulsipher

Team: RR KBAB

Googles

Postby Painless » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:44 am

For this reason many organized groups of airsoft players and fields require that eye protection fully seals the area around the eyes, and also meets or exceeds ANSI's Z87.1-2003

The shooting glasses I have seen won't stop a bb from entering from the side of the glasses.
Painless
Retailer
Retailer

Postby Nocte » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:50 am

If the bb comes in from the sides, on shooting glasses (which contour the face pretty well), it's not going to hit your eyes. It'll hit the bridge of your nose or your cheek or whatever. That's a risk I'm willing to take - I hate goggles.
ImageImage
Nocte

Team: APST

Postby Braddock » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:58 am

more than likely the reason why they require full seal is because they are on a paintball insurance waiver.
which requires full seal goggles.

I have been wearing my $5 anzi rated glasses for many years now. nothing has even come close to my eyes.
I have had a tooth shot out. no eyes yet.

Hell I know people who have been playing longer than me and only wear eye glasses.
Braddock

Postby KA-BAR » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:02 am

ABT does not enforce goggles only rule.

this is based off the promoter and bad info.period.
KA-BAR

Postby terror management » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:17 am

We are not ABT we rent the field from them... I have personally seen a bb come in from the side of shooting glasses and hit a ex-teammate in the eye. I personally hate goggles and use shooting glasses myself.

What you guys are missing is the fact that every AIRSOFT insurance company I have spoken to requires full sealing goggles, including ours. Now we all know that at every event there are only about half the people who actually follow these rules ( we are a little more strict on players following the ruleset as we are fairly new to the event hosting business and we have a desire to do things correctly). Every game that I have gone to I see people with what the insurance company would call safety infractions (which if these people got injured the ins. comp would not cover the accident). This is why We will have yet another waiver to sign that states " I have been made aware of the safety rules and I choose not to use the required full sealing goggles yada yada yada I take full responsibility yada yada yada...." So if you want to wear your shooting glasses then by all means do so at your own peril and please step up and take the responsibility on yourself for your own safety gear. We state in the rules that goggles are required because it is a requirement of our insurance company. This is what it takes to do these events legally. If there is an AIRSOFT insurance company out there that allows shooting glasses please enlighten me.

We are trying to do these things legally and I am starting to feel it is not worth the effort we are going through. I would expect a little more co-operation from the airsoft community as we are not holding these events in a national park or parking lot, we are trying to do this the right way. So I am looking for some support from the responsible airsofters out there who enjoy our locations and respect that we are trying to do these events properly, legally and responsibly.

I mean to say that we put out a tremendous effort and an amazing amount of money we don't really have(each partner of Titan1 Tactical is still at least 600 bucks in the hole) to bring you missile bases and other cool locations (we have a couple other almost unbelievable locations up our sleeve) and if we are going to get constant flak about our safety rules or our honor I personally will shut down and walk away from the business. I especially can not believe that we are now getting flak from Garrett (who is usually the first one to sound off about safety and honor) about our safety concerns!!!

Morgan I am having a hard time following your agenda.. we speak on the field and it is all about come over to my house and I invite you to my house and so on then two days later your picking a pissing match with my partner over safety concerns no less.... we have a mutual respect for each other and in the future I would appreciate the respect of a pm if you are concerned about anything we are or are not doing. we owe each other that much I think.
"If winning doesn't matter how come they call them competitions and keep scores?"
terror management
Specops
Specops

Postby KA-BAR » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:52 am

i really dont like the condesending tone your partner holds for me steve....if you feel caught up in that i am sorry, i have not sigled out you, your team for any infractions whatsoever. all i stated is i will not go to scotts redneck party since he requires full seal goggles. i have never ever gone to a event wearing anything but the oakley ballistics that ARE ANZI rated, they are millitary issue, and very safe, and have kept my eyes intact for my entire career of airsofting thus far.

so for him to in his clever lil post on the game to refreence me and incest ( i am from Los Angeles Califonia, not some back water hillbilly shazaam farm), and then to refeer to my shooting glasses as anything but infierior and something that should come along with ...power tools??

well for scotts info, they were handed to me by millitary personel as in one "jollyroger" also known as SSGT Rick Lakeley, Ft. Lewis. so i consider this eye pro far mor efficient at keeping my eyes intact over anyones full seal goggles, anyday any time. i have witnessed first hand full seal goggles FAIL.

so scott, your "partner" seems to be full of spite towards me. i dont attend wildboar events anymore after the last one you ran with the raffle and everything, and thats nothing on you or chickenhawk. its on scott.

i offered up to come help and admin for you guys at the WARGAMES, so that you had multiple community support and players that were willing to come to help and not play, you opted out of that one, and decided that wasnt nesscary, and thats kewl, because in hindsight i would not want to be in the presence of some of your game attendee's.

this is , and has absolutley no bearing on our friendship steve, and if you want to jump to the defence of your " partner" at every chance that is fine.

there is no agenda when it comes to me. i am very OPEN and TRANSPARENT about my gameplay and saftey issues. i vocalize them constantly. a agenda refeers to some clandestine, secretive, conspiritorial effort to dismantle what you are trying to build. now, think about that and say to your self......" what is morgan's agenda here?"

now come over, sit down and relax.

or

see me on the field and hurl plastic death at me, just come at me with more then chickenhawk... i had the drop on his a$$ :snap:

morgan
KA-BAR

Postby incubus » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:55 am

I dunno what all this crap is about, I think it's retarded that mods take a de-railed thread, then hack it apart to make a new one. If you're going to make a new thread, start from scratch, don't use these hacked apart threads. People who come into the second thread are confused.

"this crap" is about a (questionably) valuable topic getting discussed in a thread that has little to do with the game the thread was supposed to be about. If someone derails a thread with content of value, it gets split off. If it get derailed into buttsex and farts, it gets deleted. It happens every day, I'm not sure why you're picking this one to get confused about it. Maybe the mods aren't the retarded ones. ;) -Nocte

Now, somewhat more on topic, I think it's a really good idea to give people a choice of goggles or glasses as long as they are aware of the possible consequences.
Ohm Mani Padme Hum
incubus
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Matt » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:37 pm

Insurance companies don't care about ANZI. 99% of their claims are for broken teeth, that has nothing to with ANZI. Pretty much anybody running an insured game who isn't requiring FULL face masks is in violation of their insurance policy requirements. That is, unless they just have some basic liability slip/fall type of insurance. (They would most likely deny your claim too if they knew you were playing Airsoft).

They're also concerned about your ears and nose. If you get a BB lodgedin there and you have to go to a doctor to fish it out, that costs money. Insurance companies would have to honor those claims too.

The ASTM only recognizes full face masks as acceptable safety headgear and eyewear for use in Airsoft games.

Army issue doesn't matter. They don't care what the army does. Guess what? People in the Army get paid to do a dangerous job. Airsofters on the other hand, are paying for a service and that puts the service provider at risk if the insurance company throws out the claim.

They can also be VERY AWARE of the consequences and sign a waiver in front of you and witnesses, but still stand a chance of winning in court if they sue the event coordinator. Dentistry to fix broken teeth can get expensive, not to mention the other bullshit they can claim such as pain and suffering, loss of wages, or others.

I think it's pretty hilarious that this entire post is about Goggles vs. Shooting glasses but neither are acceptable forms of protective gear according to insurance companies. Maybe that has changed, but I haven't seen any movement from the ASTM so I doubt it.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby KA-BAR » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:01 pm

well said matt.
KA-BAR

Postby terror management » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:04 pm

Garrett wrote:i really dont like the condesending tone your partner holds for me steve.... I am sure it wasn't meant to be condesending we both apologize for that
so for him to in his clever lil post on the game to refreence me and incest ( i am from Los Angeles Califonia, not some back water hillbilly f**k farm), this was me giving you shit and Scott had nothing to do with it.. my bad I thought it was funny and that you would have a sense of humor about it... I personally apologize for that and then to refeer to my shooting glasses as anything but infierior and something that should come along with ...power tools?? this was your mistake he was just using the power tool goggle as a reference of what we did not want to see on the field... not an attack on your equipment
well for scotts info, they were handed to me by millitary personel as in one "jollyroger" also known as SSGT Rick Lakeley, Ft. Lewis. so i consider this eye pro far mor efficient at keeping my eyes intact over anyones full seal goggles, anyday any time. i have witnessed first hand full seal goggles FAIL.

so scott, your "partner" seems to be full of spite towards me. He has nothing but respect for you and your team, you know how things get mis-interpreted on the web forums i dont attend wildboar events anymore after the last one you ran with the raffle and everything, and thats nothing on you or chickenhawk. its on scott. If it's on Scott then it is on me and Chickenhawk.. thats what loyalty means, good or bad I'm loyal
i offered up to come help and admin for you guys at the WARGAMES, so that you had multiple community support and players that were willing to come to help and not play, you opted out of that one only because you made me responsible for your travel arrangements and I had no time to do that, or any way to fit your schedule into ours, and decided that wasnt nesscary, and thats kewl, because in hindsight i would not want to be in the presence of some of your game attendee's.

this is , and has absolutley no bearing on our friendship steve, and if you want to jump to the defence of your " partner" at every chance that is fine. I will...friend or foe

there is no agenda when it comes to me. i am very OPEN and TRANSPARENT about my gameplay and saftey issues. i vocalize them constantly. a agenda refeers to some clandestine, secretive, conspiritorial effort to dismantle what you are trying to build. now, think about that and say to your self......" what is morgan's agenda here?" I would ultimatly agree with this statement if wasn't that it is like dealing with two different people... the one I totally dig shooting with/at and talking to in person and then the "Voice of AP" that you personify here.
now come over, sit down and relax. I would love to and it is obvisouly over due. we get along so well on the field and have so many of the same insights and thoughts about airsoft in general. That is why I find it distressing to constantly have to hear you beat us, and others, up... I'll call you tonight and maybe we can sit down together watch war movies and swap spittle till the wee hours of the morning you sexy mother fu#$er

or

see me on the field and hurl plastic death at me, just come at me with more then chickenhawk... i had the drop on his a$$ :snap: that is easy to do when your aren't moving for a hour!!!! it is way harder to attack then defend my friend :snap: :snap: respect and peace be unto you comrade

morgan
Airsofter by nature
Team Terror by the grace of God.
!!!!!Rev. Fred Phelps takes it in the a$$!!!!! Thats freedom of speech too
"If winning doesn't matter how come they call them competitions and keep scores?"
terror management
Specops
Specops

Next

Return to Safety/Legality