Title 18, Chapter 44, Section 921 (a)(24): Suppressor

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Title 18, Chapter 44, Section 921 (a)(24): Suppressor

Postby omitica » Sun May 17, 2009 12:01 pm

Cyph34 and Thompson > Omitica

As defined Title 18 United States Code (U.S.C.), chapter 44,
section 921(a) (24), the term "firearm silencer" and "firearm
muffler" means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing
the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of
parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling
or fabricating a firearm silencer or muffler, and any part intended
only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Summarized: Firearm silencer is any device for diminishing the report of a portable firearm; any combination of parts intended for use, or fabrication of a firearm silencer with sole purpose of diminishing the firearm report.

Checkmate's and Omitica's conversation should not be taken out of context. To clarify for Cyph34r and Thompson (members of AirsoftPacific), the intentions of Checkmate and Omitica will be made clear.

Checkmate: What kind of suppressor is that?
--Obviously referring to the mock suppressor attached to the barrel of an airsoft gun. Seeing as this is an airsoft forum, it is possible to presume that any conversation held within the confines of this forum pertain to airsoft guns (NOT FIREARMS).--

Omitica: It's a homemade project.
--Meaning it is manufactured by me and solely for me. It is not my intention to go into business.--

Title 18, Chapter 44, Section 921 (10); describes manufacturer:
The term "manufacturer" means any person engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms or ammunition for purposes of sale or distribution; and the term "licensed manufacturer" means any such person licensed under the provisions of this chapter.

Omitica is not engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms ... for the purposes of sale or distribution.

Title 18, Chapter 44, Section 921 also defines the terms firearm. Because Thompson mentions the federal legality, I will attempt to keep the scope the same.

An airsoft gun is not a firearm.
An airsoft suppressor is not a firearm.
A firearm is a firearm.
A firearm suppressor is a firearm.

An airsoft suppressor, for an airsoft gun, is not equal to a firearm suppressor for a firearm.

I am not promoting the manufacture, distribution or sale of firearm suppressors.

To introduce a trivial point, a "sound supression device" is not defined under ATF documentation. Thompson, get your facts straight.
Omitica is defined as angry and spiteful. Also, to spew spit.
omitica
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby Cyph34r » Sun May 17, 2009 12:17 pm

I understand that there is a difference between a home made addon piece to an airsoft gun an a real firearm suppressor manufactured without any proper licenses, what I was trying to convey (and I see that I did a fairly bad job of conveying the idea, apoligies) was that with things like that, the safest thing to do is to always make sure its clear that its not a functional firearm suppressor, to prevent any misunderstandings with law enforcement. As I stated in the post this is a response to, I have family members in law enforcement who have made arrests based on youtube videos very much like the one i was responding to, as far as I know the people they arrested were let go, but its better to never get in that position in the first place.
"Watch Black Hawk Down. Copy EVERYTHING the Somalis do.
It works great for Fragistan." -Welshy McSheeplove
Cyph34r
Soldier
Soldier

Team: {FAG}

Postby omitica » Sun May 17, 2009 12:28 pm

Thank you for clarifying. =)
Omitica is defined as angry and spiteful. Also, to spew spit.
omitica
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Pulsipher » Sun May 17, 2009 12:38 pm

just remeber if it somehow suppresses even 1db it is a retarded violation of BATF bullshit and and the shit bricks, mr look at me im on youtube
Pulsipher

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Checkmate » Sun May 17, 2009 1:53 pm

To clarify, I was, in fact, referring to airsoft suppressors in my post in the other thread. Just sayin' :)
FLOP ROCK GO! *tink tink BANG*

Checkmate
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Safety/Legality