Lipo battery charging risk of fire

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Postby Chachi » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:44 pm

If it is an 11.1v lipo (also known as 3s), that would be a 3 cell lipo, not just one as you mentioned above. Lipo cells have a nominal voltage of 3.7 volts. So 3 x 3.7 = 11.1 volts, which is what you mentioned you have. So yes, they need to be balanced. The 3 cells internally, in the single pack, need to be balanced with each other.

I don't mean this to sound harsh at all, so please don't take it that way, but when someone has little experience with lipo batteries is when these kind of bad things happen. That is not meant to be critical, but more of a fact. As I have mentioned, I have been into rc for years, and for the most part, inexperienced users are the ones that run into issues. That isn't to say that occasionally there is a bad cell, bad charger, etc, but for the most part, inexperience is the issue. As I said, your 11.1v lipo isn't a "one cell lipo". If it is by chance, then it is new technology.

I'm sure this can be backed up by other experienced lipo guys on this board like Nec and slipstream too.
"The true object of all human life, is play" -GK Chesterton
"Happiness only real when shared" -Christopher Johnson McCandless
Chachi
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Chachi » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:01 pm

If this is the package that you have, the charger is the issue.
http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AC-BT-11L1800-S.htm
Even the review mentions that the charger is the issue. In my opinion, going "on the cheap" with a battery and charger is not where you really want to be saving money. I'm sorry bud, but investing in a good quality charger is what you need to do. In the end, it will make all the difference in the world for you. Lipos are amazing tech, but without the right tools to maintain them, the payoff won't be there.

I don't mean to sound like I am telling you what to do, or say that I am an expert. I may not know airsoft that well yet, but I know lipos.
Chachi
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Transition » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:52 pm

wasnt my battery, it was creatures hes the one who got toasted not me, yeah I dont know crap about lipos gotta ask him
Transition
Ranger
Ranger

Postby slipstream » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:14 pm

Creature wrote:I was charging at 11.1v which is the same as the batt.

As has been previously mentioned on this thread, you want to be charging at 1C which in your case equals 1.8 amps. If you were charging at a higher rate, there is a good chance you nuked your battery with a charger like that. Also, combine that with not having a balancing charger of some sort, is a recipe for disaster.

This is why I always warn people about generic "smart chargers", you MUST have a proper CC/CV (constant current constant voltage) charger.

I always advocate getting at least something like this with a charge through balancer such as this since the charger does not have a built in balancer (this one is the best charge through type I have used).

Or if you are responsible and like making sure your batteries are getting pampered get something like this or this.
slipstream
Specops
Specops

Postby LiquidSnak » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:16 pm

Those chargers usually charge at 900mA.
Biggest Postwhore, 2008
Osprey wrote:
McNair wrote:Are you guys really that f***ing daft?
I'm sorry I didn't know I had to hear to read a post

I leave for FIVE MINUTES, and there's flies having SEX ON MY KEYS D:
LiquidSnak

Postby Creature » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:05 pm

Chachi: no offense taken, the info on this the better. Like I said, I figured out it being the charger not the actual battery that was the culprit. I've been building R/C trucks for a long time and felt pretty comfortable with batteries and charging, etc. however this has been a great lesson and yeah I am not usually one to go on the cheap and Airsplat being the most recommended source from veteran airsofters who use lipos I wrongly placed trust in they wouldn't be selling an clearly unsafe batt/charger combo. It's one of those live n learn situations. Thanks for all the advice, my main intent of this thread was to glean info on this issue and to prevent anyone from the same f#%k up.
Creature

Creature
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Steve » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:22 pm

After reading thisthread, I ordered one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lithium-Polymer-Charge-Pack-18x23cm-Sack-LIPO-GUARD_W0QQitemZ170393605230QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item27ac40146e

Less than $5, including shipping. I had been charging on a tile counter in my bathroom, but after seeing the pictures, it'll be inside a LiPo Sack, and in a .50 cal can half full of sand out on the concrete deck for me.

Thanks for the pictures. Glad you're (mostly) okay. Sucks that you will probably lose a good chunk of your deposit!
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby Chachi » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:18 pm

Creature, I'm glad you didn't take offense to what I said. I am just trying to help you out, and I felt bad that you were burned (literally and figuratively) by the lipo and charger you bought, and hoped my knowledge from the rc side of lipo batteries helped. You have a good attitude to look at it as a lesson and move forward from here. As I said, I am glad it wasn't worse than it was. From here, go with a good quality charger that balance charges. It is an investment yes, but well worth it in the long run. If you need any help, or want to run RCs sometime, let me know.

Steve- Wise choice there sir. A lipo sack is the way to go. Here is a good video of how one works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSgjj6NT5U8
Pretty impresive really. Think of a fire suit on a NASCAR driver, but for a lipo battery.
Chachi
Ranger
Ranger

Previous

Return to Safety/Legality