Am I going to have to buy a new fire selector?

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Am I going to have to buy a new fire selector?

Postby DylanF » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:32 am

I'm planning on making my kwa a dmr, its been shooting around 410fps but the chrono guys just tell me to be careful, which i always do. I don't want a new spring or anything, just a new piston head and a 650mm barrel, but my fps is likely to go up to about 420 (right?) so am i going to have buy a new fire selector, so I can only shoot semi auto?
DylanF
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby Mufasa » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:40 am

Only a few game organizers allow 450fps Semi Auto. So unless this is a spare gun I would suggest keeping it under 400fps so your able to play at more games. Also what are you planning on doing to get a 650mm in there? Aren't M16 inner barrels around 510mm?
"Bullets sound the same in every language."
Mufasa
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Blizzard » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:46 am

Probably because the idea sounds cool. A barrel that long will just get in the way. Just get a 509mm 6.01 and call it good. I run a 550 6.03 at 400 fps and can hit a paper plate accurately at 70/75 yards (80 with a bit of lobbing). Granted, my DMR is about as custom as it gets, but the idea is that you don't need an insanely long barrel or insanely high FPS to pull off those long shots. Just a good bucking, barrel, and perfect compression... and tons of hours putting it together "just right."

To answer your original question: If you do find a field that allows semi-only DMRs, the easiest way to go semi-only is to mod the selector plate. I can post a picture of what I'm talking about later.

Edit: Or you could have Googled it and come up with this: http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f1 ... mod-12859/
For every action (Bang) there is an equal and opposite reaction (HIT!)
Previously AsianMarksman
Blizzard
Soldier
Soldier

Postby DylanF » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:01 pm

I'm not trying to get high fps, Its just a little inevitable when you're putting parts with better compression in your' gearbox. Since I'll be in the gearbox anyways should i just swap out the spring for maybe an m100?

Mufasa wrote:Only a few game organizers allow 450fps Semi Auto. So unless this is a spare gun I would suggest keeping it under 400fps so your able to play at more games. Also what are you planning on doing to get a 650mm in there? Aren't M16 inner barrels around 510mm?

Thank your for the info I did not realize only a few games allowed dmr's. You can put any size barrel you want in your' gun, if its longer than the outer barrel all you have to do is put a barrel extension on the end (a.k.a a 'silencer'). At least thats what i thought i could do.
DylanF
Grunt
Grunt

Postby vatican.ninja » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:39 pm

If you're going to be playing places where there aren't specific rules for semi-only guns a less powerful spring is cheap and will cause less wear on your internals. For most cases you won't need the little bit of extra power that it would cost you. As for the barrel, I don't think the possible payoff of a few extra feet of range is worth the extra length and the cost of maneuverability. You shouldn't have a problem with the regular M16-length inner barrel. But if you do want the extra length on you inner, a barrel extension ("silencer") will do the trick.
vatican.ninja
Grunt
Grunt

Return to Safety/Legality