Mandatory Face Protection for under 18? (NO!)

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Postby KA-BAR » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:00 pm

yea. every day is a happy day.

text does a very poor job at emotion translation. this isnt skype ya know.

i could be smiling the whole time i am writting this shit.
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Team: N/A

Postby Merchant » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:01 pm

Serious question here though, if a age limit of 18 or older is set, what will happen to all the 17 and lower age players? I know there are a lot of younger players on here that aren't 18 that do have replicas. I don't think banning them from AP will make them stop playing, so what will they be doing with their replicas if they can't play AP games? Just because you kick them out of the community doesn't mean they magically don't have their rifles anymore. Granted you do create a certain amount of separation between the AP community and those that engage in criminal activity with airsoft guns, but unless people are VERY aware that there is an organized community they will not separate the people who use airsoft replicas in illegal manors from those that use them safely at organized public events.
Merchant
Soldier
Soldier

Postby sounguru » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:05 pm

Merchant wrote:Serious question here though, if a age limit of 18 or older is set, what will happen to all the 17 and lower age players? I know there are a lot of younger players on here that aren't 18 that do have replicas. I don't think banning them from AP will make them stop playing, so what will they be doing with their replicas if they can't play AP games? Just because you kick them out of the community doesn't mean they magically don't have their rifles anymore. Granted you do create a certain amount of separation between the AP community and those that engage in criminal activity with airsoft guns, but unless people are VERY aware that there is an organized community they will not separate the people who use airsoft replicas in illegal manors from those that use them safely at organized public events.

Well let's see they go out and play in the school yards and public parks and get in trouble and then airsoft guns get banned across the board so now even us old farts can't have our toys anymore....
sounguru
Soldier
Soldier

Postby KA-BAR » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:12 pm

then when it comes to that, ill sell my shit, and switch over to real steel NRA sports...

cause lets face it, the ring of steel never lies and does'nt call its hits....groups on paper are a reality, not fake.

i dont care enuff about the future of BB gun wars, or the future of unsupervised, irresponsible adolecents.

but i am sure there will be a promoter out there that is willing to risk his neck for a few kids and thier desire to play with toy guns. but the majority of games that are worth going to will be 18+ and that is all i care about.

i dont attend backyard wars.
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Postby shakespeare » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:38 pm

It seems very illogical to make airsoft only for 18+ year olds. I know plenty of kids who play airsoft both in a responsible manner (on teams, at organized games) and in an irresponsible manner (running around in their neighborhood without goggles).
My team is the former--we play as a team, at organized games or on property where airsoft is allowed. We also consist almost entirely of people who are under the age of 18--only our team leader (a father of one of the other players) could play, as well as one or two members who are 18 or 19. The majority of the team is between 16 and 17, so most of us couldn't play. However, we are a responsible team who plays responsibly and respectfully.
I think that if the community bans teenagers, it will be quite a bit smaller. I think that some of the kids who make irresponsible choices and play out on the street or in parks only do so because they do not know there is a place to play at actual organized games.
If I meet someone at my school who is interested in airsoft, and they aren't a punk who I know to be a troublemaker, I see if they want to come out and play with our team and see if they like playing with an organized team--normally they enjoy it and join our team and keep coming out. We discuss safety and rules with them, and they stay off the streets and don't cause trouble. They become responsible members of our team, and it is good for all involved.

I understand if fields would want to require those under 18 to wear full face protection, or at least mouth protection. But banning teenagers entirely would be bad for business, especially when there is no adequate reason for the banning--if it is just responsible teenagers, there is no problem.
shakespeare
Specops
Specops

Postby Strikerz » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:41 pm

Well you both have points. Starting a team to teach youths about airsoft is great, but not everyone knows about that. So what about that one kid who thinks airsoft is cool and goes out to have fun? And KA-BAR as you said, emotions are hard to convey over simple text so please note that i am only writing for a simple disscusion. So my question to you is, what is your motive to only want 18+ people at games that are "worth going to"
Strikerz
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Falcon7 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:54 pm

If airsoft gets banned I'm switching over to laser tag.
You read that right.
Interested in joining Bop? Want to get rid of a broken gun? PM me.
Falcon7
Soldier
Soldier

Team: BoP

Postby Zeta Crossfire » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:22 pm

Catch22 wrote:Age limit: 16 (Underage players will be allowed to play, if an established member or team in this community takes responsibilty for them)

This I like. Not banning them outright, but having another member of the community take responsibility for them.
Zeta Crossfire
Specops
Specops

Team: {FAG}

Postby shakespeare » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:37 pm

Zeta Crossfire wrote:
Catch22 wrote:Age limit: 16 (Underage players will be allowed to play, if an established member or team in this community takes responsibilty for them)

This I like. Not banning them outright, but having another member of the community take responsibility for them.

I would also find this amicable.
shakespeare
Specops
Specops

of course

Postby Switchback » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:47 pm

I've seen way too many busted teeth or faces that are messes. I think it should be required because too many people my age don't know what can happen to the teeth their parents put money into, the eyes they kind of need, or the skin that comes back in little scars. I used to not wear face protection, but after being hosed too many times, I at least use some sort of facewrap to dull the pain.
Switchback

Postby Steve » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:59 pm

I don't particularly like kids. I'm 33. Associating with a bunch of minors is a little creepy, when you think about it.

I don't particularly like the attitudes I see in most teenagers. I've already proven to myself just about everything that I need to prove. I want to go have a good time. I want to hang out with other grownups. Maybe even sit around the fire and enjoy some tasty adult beverages, and generally do so without worrying about shenanegans.

Dealing with a bunch of testosterone-poisoned wannabes who want to get all grabastic and talk about how much of a badass they are is just not my scene. Granted, there are a couple of youths who are actually worth talking to. But the majority of you punk kids can get stuffed.

Airsoft players in general, and teenagers in particular, spend fuck-all on the "sport". I'd much rather keep it to grownups who understand that nice things cost money.

So, is requiring full sealed helmets for unaccompanied minors punitive? Yep. Still think it's a good idea. It limits them to either having mommy or daddy with them, or them wandering around with a fishbowl on their head. And I don't care who you are, that shit's funny right there.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby phiz » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:57 am

Steve wrote: It limits them to either having mommy or daddy with them, or them wandering around with a fishbowl on their head. And I don't care who you are, that shit's funny right there.

LOL
phiz
Soldier
Soldier

Postby KA-BAR » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:51 am

do not take vouching/responsibility for a minor at a game lightly.

you are now trying to attain temporary guardianship over the minor at the game for this you MUST have parental consent. thats #1

#2 if the kid winds up being a douchebag, hacking or getting hurt, guess whos lap it falls right into.

yours.

i motion that not only does the kid have to pay for his actions, but so should the person who sponsors them.

see how that works?
KA-BAR

Postby Matt » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:58 am

Airsoft Pacific is not advocating a ban on players under 18. If event promoters individually want to do this on their own, that's up to them. Personally, I won't. Although I may have some 18+ games in my future... Mostly for aesthetic reasons, not liability.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Strikerz » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:20 pm

As much as i dislike people not calling their hits etc, if you are an honerable person under 18+ is is unfair
Strikerz
Soldier
Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Safety/Legality