Safety killing

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Postby God » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:55 am

rbm33 wrote:I think the best thing here would have been to just take the safety kill and walk away. Even if you whole heartily disagreed with it. This was a friendly fire incident wasn't it? I think i would have been more likely to phony pony about that anyways.

It wasn't friendly fire.

It seems like the safety kill answer is, accept the kill even the safety shouldn't have been called. Unless the safety kill is called in a blatantly wrong way, 50ft away with an AEG...
God

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Payback » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:33 am

MalikMazadu wrote:
rbm33 wrote:I think the best thing here would have been to just take the safety kill and walk away. Even if you whole heartily disagreed with it. This was a friendly fire incident wasn't it? I think i would have been more likely to phony pony about that anyways.

It wasn't friendly fire.

KA-BAR wrote:yesterday i was within 40 feet of a friendly( unknown at the time, we had very poor team split for the day). wiesnhimer was pinning him behind a tree which totally exposed him to me. i could have blasted the kid, but i called safety kill.

Thats why i thought it was a friendly fire incident. Ignore what i said then if i read it wrong :)
AKA: rbm33

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty
Payback
Ranger
Ranger

Team: A.S.T.D.

Postby God » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:21 am

Bringing back my old thread, I read something interesting in the AP Safety Rules...

When you are too close in range to be comfortable taking a shot, you can call out "SAFETY KILL" on the player in your sights.

This sentence implies that if you feel that firing at someone under 30ft is safe(you can hit body armor or something), you can. For that matter, if you just don't care, just if you're comfortable with it. It implies you CAN. Not that you SHOULD.
God

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Juicemachine » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:33 am

Honestly, I'm okay with taking a safety kill being up to the person being safety killed. I think it'd go better if there was some sort of "prisoner" rule in games, it'd give people an incentive to sneak up and safety kill, and there could be points attached (obviously, there'd be a time limit of how long you can be a prisoner, to keep games fun). Kinda reminds me of a game someone (I think it was James) ran at ABT a while back, there were slave traders, and teams had to go safety kill people to capture slaves, then get points in return for the slaves. It was really fun.

BUT on to the point, if taking a safety kill is up to the person being safety killed, invalid safety kills just won't get honored, and valid ones will either get honored or the person won't take it and they'll get shot.
2009's Most Improved Player
Author of the best post of 2010
Juicemachine

Team: {FAG}

Postby 'Skyhawk' » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:58 am

MalikMazadu wrote:Bringing back my old thread, I read something interesting in the AP Safety Rules...

When you are too close in range to be comfortable taking a shot, you can call out "SAFETY KILL" on the player in your sights.

This sentence implies that if you feel that firing at someone under 30ft is safe(you can hit body armor or something), you can. For that matter, if you just don't care, just if you're comfortable with it. It implies you CAN. Not that you SHOULD.

You are correct and this is what I had mentioned before. AP does not have a concrete "Minimum Safe Distance" as seen in some other leagues. It is a personal judgement call if you believe the shot to be safe.

Honestly I don't see it working as well as a minimum safe distance rule where it is prohibited to shoot someone inside 25' with an AEG or inside 10' with a sidearm. I have personally seen two guys jump out within 15' and light up my squad mate in front of me. This was not a carefully placed shot, but a jump out and spray type manuever. They may have thought it was safe but I assure you it was not.

That is the problem with such ambiguious rules. We are human, you can't expect everyone to have the same idea of what's safe or not. That's where clearly defined rules come in.
"It's not a tough decision as you can see....I can blow you away or you can ride with me" - Beastie Boys (RIP MCA)
'Skyhawk'
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Previous

Return to Safety/Legality