Safety Information Pamphlet

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Safety Information Pamphlet

Postby Osmo » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:40 pm

UPDATE: 2/11

I have finished formatting a mock-up pamphlet. It is currently incomplete pending further revisions and league information. Here are the links:
- SIDE ONE
- SIDE TWO

These links are scaled for size and for the internet. All elements in the source file are >300dpi. The gray lines represent where the page will fold.

Please post if you are willing to contribute in any way. Suggestions are still very welcome!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

BACKGROUND ON THIS PROJECT:
As our hobby gains more and more attention and grows in popularity, it is our responsibility to do what we can to educate new players and promote responsible use of airsoft replicas.

To this end, I have submitted THIS DOCUMENT for review by the APL community.

It is a rough draft of an information sheet that could be provided to northwest airsoft retailers for distribution with replicas.

Even though the APL is in no way a regulatory organization, simply providing basic information is within the scope of its capabilities. Furthermore, furnishing retailers with such a document need not be expensive (they could easily copy the document). Doing this would go a long way toward increasing awareness about airsoft safety.

I am eager to hear your thoughts and encourage you to submit revisions and/or alternative drafts.

(This thread is for any and all discussion related to safety and/or information pamphlets. Please limit discussion to this topic. Thank you.)
Last edited by Osmo on Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Osmo
Ranger
Ranger

Team: APST

Postby Sleepy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:01 pm

First glance:
-Wearing ANSI Z87.1 impact-rated eye protection when airsofting is an absolute must.

Otherwise, looks good. I'll take a dozen and start throwing them around to local retailers. Don't honestly know how you plan to ensure distribution though.
The King Of al-Talk. Hey, at least I'm not a troll.

My dog wouldn't know what to do with a duck if she caught it, but she's cute. And hates Mexicans. +1!
Sleepy

Team: N/A

Postby Osmo » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:52 pm

**Right now, the topic is open for discussion. At this time, please refrain from distributing any such pamphlets.**

Although it is drafted as if from the APL, I am not a representative or member of this organization. I would appreciate comments from APL members on this topic.

Don't honestly know how you plan to ensure distribution though.

Distribution would obviously be voluntary according to the individual retailer. I can't imagine that many would object, given that it would benefit their customers and preaches only safety. If this project were to reach the point where a final draft was ready for distribution, I'm sure some kind of system could be developed to keep track of which retailers had been contacted.

Also, the info sheet doesn't look pretty right now. If anyone would like to take it upon themselves to work with layout and/or include relevent graphical elements, please feel free to do so. Otherwise, I will work on this myself at a later time.
Osmo
Ranger
Ranger

Postby chapped » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:30 pm

Great idea Osmo.
As a representative of the APL (NWAL) and as a fellow airsofter I applaud your efforts.
I offer this constructive critique;
The document touches on legality and safety but little is stated to introduce the world of organized play that we enjoy under the APL and through all the participating promoters. You left a URL which is handy, but I think you need a little more gloss and focus on the joy of organized play.
The best way to stop the BS is to educate people. You get them out of their backyards and onto the field with us, and we stand a good chance of preserving our hobby. Words on paper don't mean nearly as much as the words of your peers. We have to 'introduce' people to what we've got. Modify your doc with this in mind and you'd have a winner in my eyes.

My .02 cents.
There is no justice.
There's just us.
chapped
Specops
Specops

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Osmo » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:12 pm

Good point. I did a few quick edits based on your feedback.

I recognize that it's important to promote the APL and organized play, but at the same time, I feel that the overall emphasis of the the sheet should be on airsoft safety.

I would prefer this to be as much of a community effort as possible. The more brains the better, right? I'm looking for comments, revisions, and/or new material related to this project.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but the ANZI Z87.1 standard, while being the best certification we currently have for impact resistance, isn't completely kosher for airsoft is it?
Osmo
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Haloeclipse » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:49 pm

maybe a list of some of the major teams with corresponding urls so they can see some of the faces in AP? This is a good idea, could be really good for our hobby.
Never ever insult Halo he is a god among men ~achillesnick~
Haloeclipse

Postby El Cheebo » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:02 pm

I agree, it would be a plus if this would explain "real" airsoft, at least a bit.

Along those lines, the document says shots from 20 or so feet are unsafe. But these pamphlets would most likely be distributed with LPEG's and spring pistols, some of which are unable to even shoot that far (mini's come to mind). Perhaps it could differentiate somehow?
El Cheebo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bubba » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:51 pm

Osmo C wrote:Also, correct me if I'm wrong but the ANZI Z87.1 standard, while being the best certification we currently have for impact resistance, isn't completely kosher for airsoft is it?

If something is going to break ANZI Z87.1 rated eye protection, I don't think I want it fired in my general direction, period.
Bubba
Ranger
Ranger

Team: {FAG}

Postby Osmo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:02 am

Thanks for the input, everyone. A new version is up.

Regarding the suggestion to list 'major teams,' which teams qualify as 'major?' My thinking was that AP.com itself provides convenient links to many NW airsoft teams and that it's best to keep this thing as short as possible.
Osmo
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Sleepy » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:33 am

I didn't say that I was going to the Walmart tonight. As for noting the ANSI standard, atleast according to AP

AND I
1. Always wear eye protection in the form of goggles, masks, or shooting glasses, or safety glasses. Never remove your eye protection while on the battlefield. Regular prescription glasses are NOT acceptable as safety eyeware. Must meet ANSI Z87.1 standards and wrap around the face.

And don't worry about the major teams, since AP is a gateway to said teams. And there could be some contention as to who qualifies as major teams. So just don't worry about it. Once they get here, they'll find their way.
The King Of al-Talk. Hey, at least I'm not a troll.

My dog wouldn't know what to do with a duck if she caught it, but she's cute. And hates Mexicans. +1!
Sleepy

Postby DMitri » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:20 am

As redundant as this is, I suggest having someone with at least minimal legal background draft AND promote this.
DMitri
Banned
Banned

Postby Osmo » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:41 am

It would be wonderful if someone with such qualifications would step forward. I can see the need for language protecting the APL against legal action if this were to ever reach publication. Or is that what you meant, DMitri?
Osmo
Ranger
Ranger

Postby hitman101 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:27 pm

great idea, i hope it works, thanks
hitman101
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Cobol » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:22 pm

First, PDF not word doc, and font size 10 is acceptable for much of the formatting to allow more data.

Second:

Red implies changes
Cyan implies comments to you

We of the Airsoft Pacific League (APL) sincerely hope that you grow to enjoy this hobby as much as we do. Use parens the first time you introduce an acronym. So put the (APL) here rather than at the paragraph at the end of the page where you have it now.

-Because airsoft replicas are indistinguishable from firearms, brandishing them in public could have very serious consequences. Be sure to keep all replicas in opaque cases or containers while transporting them.

-Law enforcement officers will treat airsoft replicas the same as firearms, regardless of whether or not they have an orange tip. If you encounter anyone who is not part of your game on the playfield, loudly call a ceasfire, remove the magazine from your replica, and place it on the ground before approaching them.

-Do not point your replica at anyone unless you are involved in a game on the playfield, and intend to shoot them. NEVER point or fire replicas at non-participating individuals or animals. Aim implies intent, point is a lot wider in scope and covers many more actions than just aiming, plus you used point earlier on so we'll stick with that terminology rather than changing it now.

The Airsoft Pacific League is an association of... Removed the (APL) abbreviation here and moved to the top of the doc, see first note.

Members of the APL enjoy participating in, and hosting highly-organized military simulation events.

For more information about the APL, check out the forums at the Airsoft Pacific website: www.airsoftpacific.com. Removed the word "Promotions".

Maybe you want to try to include the following as well:

Alcohol and drug use can lead to unsafe behavior with airsoft replicas. As with real firearms, acohol and drugs do not mix with airsoft.

Speaking of real firearms, leave them at home! Because they look so realistic, real firearms and Airsoft DO NOT MIX.

Lastly, are we shooting for 1 page or 2 (front-back). With a front back page we can fit more data especially concerning safe interactions with law enforcement. At the very least, I'd like to see links to the safety stickies of the AP site included on the doc, something like:

For more information about airsoft safety please read:

http://www.airsoftpacific.com/viewtopic.php?t=104
Cobol

Postby Osmo » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:56 pm

Thanks for your help, I appreciate your comments. Changes have been posted.

I'll stick with MS Word (.doc) format for now to keep it easily modifiable and because this format is easily viewed and edited. PDF makes more sense to me for a final version.

One full 8.5 x 11 sheet printed front and back seems like the limit. It might be a good idea to fill the front side with the safety info and then explain about the APL on the reverse.

I'm considering switching from all caps to bold for words with emphasis. Any thoughts?
Osmo
Ranger
Ranger

Next

Return to Safety/Legality