Male dean/Tamiya connector on the battery?

Discuss battery powered AEGs (Automatic Electric Guns) in this forum.

Male dean/Tamiya connector on the battery?

Postby GacktC » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:32 am

Hello all,
Does it matter to have a male dean/tamiya plug on the battery unit, if the battery wire on my AEG has a female connector plug?
Thank you.
GacktC

Team: RR KBAB

Postby CalvinB » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:43 am

well son when i man and woman love each other...

I'm not sure what your question is...

tamiya and deans are different and wont fit together, not by a long shot, and it takes a male and a female to make a connection (although watching 2 female plugs try to fit together is fun) and it doesn't matter who is on top and who is on bottom as long as the male penetrates the female and there is electricity between them

wait what are we talking about again...
I DID NOT INVENT THE INTERNETS FOR THIS
CalvinB
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby league 4 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:52 am

Keep female deans on the battery. If one of the metal tabs comes into contact with metal, then it could cause a fire. There's no reason anyone should still be using tamiya plugs though.
league 4
Specops
Specops

Team: 9/G

Postby GacktC » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:53 am

Thanks!
Let me make it a bit clear, if I have a male dean on the battery & a female on the gun's battery wire, is it gonna work?
Because 99% of the batteries come with female dean, and the gun has the male connector.
The reason I am asking the question is because I bought an extension wire with male plug :( if the above set up gonna work, I probably just solder that onto my gun, then order a battery from cheapbatterypack.com.
Thanks!

P.S. I guess I have to use Tamiya plugs anyway since I am using a PEQ15 battery box on my half way done project gun.
GacktC

Postby midnight_commander » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:08 am

It doesn't matter which connector is where so long as the positive lead of the battery is connected to the positive lead of the gun and same for the negative.

Male, female, doesn't matter.

How ever if you do it like this, then your gun will be limited to that battery because you will have you set up opposite that of normal battery packs.

In conclusion. It's gonna work, so long as the positive is to positive and negative is to negative. There are just going to be drawbacks to the way you currently have it set up.
midnight_commander
Specops
Specops

Postby GacktC » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:22 am

I'm more than happy as long as it works:)
This is my first M4 I put it together myself , and basically for cqb training & upcoming event.
Thanks!
GacktC

Postby DMitri » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:46 am

league 4 wrote:There's no reason anyone should still be using tamiya plugs though.

A .0001 ohm difference isn't worth the money/time to many people.

It's a better connector is respect to size and easy of connection, but the "lower resistance" is a bullshit fad when it comes to our application. You won't notice a difference in performance, we're talking less than a percentile; and battery longevity won't change at all.

Most people advocating deans connectors' superiority are probably the same retards telling people to upgrade their spring guides. (e.g retailers.)
DMitri
Banned
Banned

Postby Chachi » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:49 am

Well, DMitri, I have to disagree with that. Now I am not very experienced in airsoft yet, but in the world of RC where these connectors come from, the resistance of the connectors make a huge difference. I have melted Tamiya connectors on rc trucks before because they can' handle the load. They just aren't as efficient, and the the side effect is heat which is power being lost. Deans, and the Traxxas connectors I use on my rc stuff are way more efficient. As for specific numbers, I'm trying to find some info on that to post. Maybe in airsoft it doesn't make as much of difference, but in other applications (RC) is really does. I guess I do agree with league 4 that if you are using lipos, it may be time to move on to better connectors.
"The true object of all human life, is play" -GK Chesterton
"Happiness only real when shared" -Christopher Johnson McCandless
Chachi
Ranger
Ranger

Postby DMitri » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:36 am

With R/C cars Deans definitely make sense. You're drawing a lot of amps, for a sustained period of time. That's not because of resistance, the plugs simply handle more amperage. People are able to achieve connections with Tamiyas that have only a .0001 ohm difference from Deans. (Although, this now gives me another thing to test with my new multimeter.)

I haven't heard of people melting connectors in airsoft. Although theoretically, a very high powered replica, firing large "bursts" will run into the same problem. Even then, I'd look into making the mechbox run smoother before worrying about the connectors.

If your reasoning for "upgrading" is out of concern for handling the amps, go for it.
If your reasoning for "upgrading" is in anticipation of better performance, don't bother. If your replica can handle Tamiyas under the conditions you put it through, changing connectors isn't going to do anything for you.
DMitri
Banned
Banned

Postby Nocte » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:42 am

Deans aren't as flimsy as the little pins in the tamiya plugs. If a wire pops off my deans plug for some reason, it takes a lot less effort to resolder it back on than trying to fit frayed wires back into the little contact piece on a tamiya. Also, with replicas that don't have a lot of room for fingers inside the stock, deans are nicer because they don't have the little latch to fiddle with when removing the battery.
ImageImage
Nocte

Team: APST

Postby Cap n pickles » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:01 pm

honestly, i dont feel the need yet to switch. : ) my tami's work just fine for me.
"All our liberties are due to men who, when their conscience has compelled them, have broken the laws of the land."
William Kingdon Clifford
Cap n pickles

Postby Nec » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:58 pm

league 4 wrote:Keep female deans on the battery. If one of the metal tabs comes into contact with metal, then it could cause a fire.

What he said.

If you are experienced at all in airsoft you should know better than to use stock tamiya connectors! Soldering deans on is the cheapest, easiest, and most effetive upgrade you can do to your gun!

To quote someone League 4 and I both know, Mica.

whoever invented "tamiya's" should be shot (im assuming his name is tamiya) with an airsoft gun.
There's a difference between a person who has a screwdriver and a person who knows what they are doing.
Nec
Specops
Specops

Postby LiquidSnak » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:59 pm

Let me see some numbers. I want to know if this is worth it.
Biggest Postwhore, 2008
Osprey wrote:
McNair wrote:Are you guys really that f***ing daft?
I'm sorry I didn't know I had to hear to read a post

I leave for FIVE MINUTES, and there's flies having SEX ON MY KEYS D:
LiquidSnak

Postby DMitri » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:06 pm

Also, define "upgrade".

Because again, a metal spring guide is also an "upgrade" to some people.

"Upgrade" often holds a connotation that a users experience will be bettered during game play.

(e.g Metal Body, aesthetic/durability/immersion upgrade; spring/motor/tightbore/battery, performance upgrade.)

Your post just seems like a half-assed attempt to refute what's been said without directly addressing a single thing.

"I like turtles."

Why?
DMitri
Banned
Banned

Postby Beran » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Nec wrote:If you are experienced at all in airsoft you should know better than to use stock tamiya connectors! Soldering deans on is the cheapest, easiest, and most effetive upgrade you can do to your gun!

like 95% of my guns have tamiyas on them. i switched to deans a while back on a few guns, and didn't notice any real difference aside from being more space efficient. switching to deans is not a bad thing at all, but is by no means necessary for good performance.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Next

Return to AEG/Electrics