Sr-25 question

Discuss battery powered AEGs (Automatic Electric Guns) in this forum.

Sr-25 question

Postby ShawnG36 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:46 pm

I recently purchased a CA Sr-25 URX, which I plan on turning into a DMR. With that said I have a question.

I know that in SR-25's the piston is considered the weak link in the gearbox. What I want to know is if anyone can tell me the pros and cons of an aluminum piston vs a polycarb piston.
ShawnG36
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby Aeacus » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:53 pm

In all AEG's, the piston is the weakest part of the gearbox. Would you rather have your cheap piston strip out or what not, or your gears?
Aeacus
Ranger
Ranger

Postby ShawnG36 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:56 pm

Aeono wrote:In all AEG's, the piston is the weakest part of the gearbox. Would you rather have your cheap piston strip out or what not, or your gears?

That's funny, I don't put cheap parts in my guns. The polycarb piston I'm looking at is around 50 bucks. That may not sound like alot of money to you but I can't afford to replace a piston every time I play.
ShawnG36
Grunt
Grunt

Re: Sr-25 question

Postby Bad Karma » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:58 pm

ShawnG36 wrote:I recently purchased a CA Sr-25 URX, which I plan on turning into a DMR. With that said I have a question.

I know that in SR-25's the piston is considered the weak link in the gearbox. What I want to know is if anyone can tell me the pros and cons of an aluminum piston vs a polycarb piston.

The CA SR25 has a non-standard, elongated version 2 gearbox. Therefore pistons are going to be more expensive, polycarbonate or otherwise. Still, though, it is cheaper to replace a piston than a stripped gear. Plastic will fail well before aluminum or steel. So if you have a metal gear catching a plastic piston, you will strip that piston should something go wrong. But if you put in an aluminum one, you run a very high risk of stripping those gears instead.

I ran my CA SR25 for a very long time, and stripped a couple of pistons. It really isn't the end of the world and I always had good luck shooting the stock CA ones.There is no need to spend any extra money on an upgraded polycarbonate piston. They all do the same thing.
Biggest Postwhore 2009
Author of the Best Post of 2009
XO of the Best Team of 2009
Bad Karma

Team: SOTA

Postby GacktC » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:04 pm

GacktC

Team: RR KBAB

Re: Sr-25 question

Postby ShawnG36 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:05 pm

Bad Karma wrote:
ShawnG36 wrote:I recently purchased a CA Sr-25 URX, which I plan on turning into a DMR. With that said I have a question.

The CA SR25 has a non-standard, elongated version 2 gearbox. Therefore pistons are going to be more expensive, polycarbonate or otherwise. Still, though, it is cheaper to replace a piston than a stripped gear. Plastic will fail well before aluminum or steel. So if you have a metal gear catching a plastic piston, you will strip that piston should something go wrong. But if you put in an aluminum one, you run a very high risk of stripping those gears instead.

I ran my CA SR25 for a very long time, and stripped a couple of pistons. It really isn't the end of the world and I always had good luck shooting the stock CA ones.There is no need to spend any extra money on an upgraded polycarbonate piston. They all do the same thing.

True. But I am going to upgrade everything in the gearbox. Like I said, It's going to be a DMR so it's going to be pushing 500 fps. And yes, it's going to be semi only.
ShawnG36
Grunt
Grunt

Postby shogun » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:19 pm

this is the only aluminum SR-25 piston i could find

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info ... s_id=30841

that looks like the exact same design as the old JBU highspeed aluminum pistons(regular length) those things were a walking disaster, the rack teeth liked to shatter sending shrapnel flying around in your gearbox.

id stick with the polycarb, CA & G&P make them, and im sure Echo 1 will have them soon.
shogun
Specops
Specops

Team: SOTA

Postby LiquidSnak » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:55 pm

As everyone has said before, leave the inexpensive part of the gearbox to be your fail-point. But, you're going to do whatever you want as it sounds anyways, so I'm not going to waste time explaining.
Biggest Postwhore, 2008
Osprey wrote:
McNair wrote:Are you guys really that f***ing daft?
I'm sorry I didn't know I had to hear to read a post

I leave for FIVE MINUTES, and there's flies having SEX ON MY KEYS D:
LiquidSnak

Postby PanzerFaust » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:42 am

And then there's the weight difference between poly and aluminum. The version 2 gearbox is prone to breaking up by the cylinder-head. If you're slamming a metal piston into the cylinderhead with a high power spring behind it, as you would in a DMR, your chances of breaking at that point increase. I can't imagine the enlongated SR-25 gearbox will fare much better. I'd go with polymer just for that reason.
PanzerFaust

Postby ShawnG36 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:43 pm

Panzer/Karma- Thank you, ya'll answered my question.
ShawnG36
Grunt
Grunt

Return to AEG/Electrics