Magpul PTS ACR/Masada MEGATHREAD

Discuss battery powered AEGs (Automatic Electric Guns) in this forum.

Magpul PTS ACR/Masada MEGATHREAD

Postby Bloodshot » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:31 pm

[formerly the "I've heard this gun is bad, why?" thread.]

iv heard a lot of bad things about the ACR and its internals why is that???
though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death i fear no evil because i am the most bad a$$ mother stinker in the valley...
Bloodshot
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby sasquatch » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:38 pm

I have the A&K one and the Magpul one and I can say the internals are junk. When they were making these guns they were thinking about the looks not as much on how it functions. The gun is only designed for small batteries. The gun was a response to the ACR on CODM2
Hide like Savages, fight like Barbarians.

Dont Eat the BABBY!!!
sasquatch
Soldier
Soldier

Postby CalvinB » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:36 pm

*they're...

maybe, was that even English?
I DID NOT INVENT THE INTERNETS FOR THIS
CalvinB
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Nec » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:14 am

My teammate has the Magpul PTS.
He's been meaning to do a review on it but hasn't had the time. He's taken almost 100 pictures of the gun if you would like I can send them to you.

When my teammate got the gun, he popped in an m120 spring (it has a quick spring change feature) and after less than a high cap magazine he said "it doesn't fire". When I opened the gun up I found this:

Notice, that entire back end of the piston is gone and the teeth are destroyed. The spring was no harder than a new Stock JG.

The piston head was very lose, and almost to fall off.

The original spring that comes with the gun isn't very strong; the most I can squeeze out of the stock spring is 330 FPS in my VFC AK74SU.
The stock air nozzle has very bad compression and I believe it to be proprietary because it's about a half an inch longer than a Masada air nozzle.

The motor is ok; on heavier springs (above m120) it has a discernible loss of ROF. With m110 spring is runs pretty good around 14 RPS.

The build quality of the gun amazing! My teammate drops this gun daily at least 4-5 times. I’t’s a really solid gun.

If you really want this gun, wait until the gen 2 the gen 1 has to many issues.
There's a difference between a person who has a screwdriver and a person who knows what they are doing.
Nec
Specops
Specops

Postby PanzerFaust » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:56 am

Swap out piston/head, noted.

sasquatch wrote:I have the A&K one and the Magpul one and I can say the internals are junk. When they were making these guns they were thinking about the looks not as much on how it functions. The gun is only designed for small batteries. The gun was a response to the ACR on CODM2

The A&K Masada was released a over year before the release of COD MW2, and the Magpul version was in development before that. If anything COD MW2 was a response to the popularity of the Masada/ACR.

Can you be more specific about the internals being junk? Small battery space is not a deal breaker for a li-poly user.

Seeing as you've owned them both, which of the two versions do you prefer?
PanzerFaust

Postby Nec » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:55 pm

PanzerFaust wrote:The A&K Masada was released a over year before the release of COD MW2, and the Magpul version was in development before that. If anything COD MW2 was a response to the popularity of the Masada/ACR.

Can you be more specific about the internals being junk? Small battery space is not a deal breaker for a li-poly user.

Seeing as you've owned them both, which of the two versions do you prefer?

In case you were wondering here are some pictures of the internals of the Magpul PTS:

Right side of the gearbox

Left side of the gearbox.

Pictures of the gears and other internals, they look pretty good. My guess is the gun is made by Ares by the look of the internals.

Originally my friend used a Firefox 1100mAh 15C lipo but when I was installing a new piston my teammate found out that 2 Hot power 11.1v 1600mAh 12C lipo stick batteries can fit in parallel in the hand guard making a combined mAh of 3200mAH!

Stock hop-up bucking, unfortunately minutes after this picture was taken he punctured the bucking with an Allen key making it unusable. :roll:

The nub is held in here, this unit seems to be held in with a “hidden pinâ€
There's a difference between a person who has a screwdriver and a person who knows what they are doing.
Nec
Specops
Specops

Postby PanzerFaust » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:07 pm

Interesting, thanks for the pics.

Did you guys end up gluing the H nub in place when you swapped out the stock one?
PanzerFaust

Postby Riddick » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:12 pm

I've owned both and I would buy the PTS version every time.

The A&K versions fit and finish give it that usual china poo aeg feel

The PTS (aside from a few internal issues) has a professional appearance. Very nice. and it's a real 1:1 spec where the a&k is not.

My PYS was very accurate and while the ROF was slow with a 7.4v lipo, it didnt seem to bother me.
Riddick

Postby Nec » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:29 pm

PanzerFaust wrote:Interesting, thanks for the pics.

Did you guys end up gluing the H nub in place when you swapped out the stock one?
Negative.
We fliped the hop-up unit upside down so the nub wouldn't roll out.
Nec
Specops
Specops

Postby sasquatch » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:30 pm

When I mean that internals are junk, I mean they are not LiPoly ready. If you are using a 11.1 LiPoly there is plenty of space, but I couldn’t fit a 9.6 2000mah in the same space.

If airsoft is more of a look’s then how things work go with the Magpul version, if it is how they function then to my standards they both will need work.
To answer another thing I didn’t see the popularity in the Masada/ACR until CODW2 had come out. For those like myself that fallow airsoft like they have nothing else to do the Masada was already in our sights. But by me saying that the Masada/ACR’s were a response to CODW2 is correct for the productivity and distribution was increased 10 fold after the game was released, that’s when we had the problem with how had the right to make them and the law suits.
Hide like Savages, fight like Barbarians.

Dont Eat the BABBY!!!
sasquatch
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Vidar » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:47 pm

I own the Magpul PTS ACR, and the design blows me away. I can swap inner barrels with extreme ease, I can get at the gearbox in a matter of a few seconds (removing the lower receiver involves popping out two pins, and sliding the entire lower, and gearbox out). The wire-routing is amazing, and hassle-free. Imagine every problem you've ever had taking an AEG apart. None of those are an issue with the PTS ACR.

Quality externals are not at all a negative feature to a gun. The externals on the Magpul PTS ACR are unmatched by any other AEG that I've ever owned, and I'm far more inclined to put quality internals into a gun that began life as a quality replica.

EDIT: tl;dr: The PTS ACR is the most visionary and functional AEG design that I've ever seen. Looks good, feels good, works well.
Vidar
Specops
Specops

Team: {FAG}

Postby PanzerFaust » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:58 pm

You sing a pretty tune, sir! I'm down.
PanzerFaust

Postby Jose » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:16 pm

AHHHH crap...!!! I want one of those PTS, but I dont know yet, so many guns out there, and not enough money to buy them. :cry:
Jose
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nec » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:23 pm

Vidar wrote:I own the Magpul PTS ACR, and the design blows me away. I can swap inner barrels with extreme ease, I can get at the gearbox in a matter of a few seconds (removing the lower receiver involves popping out two pins, and sliding the entire lower, and gearbox out). The wire-routing is amazing, and hassle-free. Imagine every problem you've ever had taking an AEG apart. None of those are an issue with the PTS ACR.
I totally agree with you, push one pin and take out one screw on the motor plate and bam! Gearbox is out, no fumbling with feeding wires.
Pictures. ;)
(Gearbox not shown)

Quick spring change is such a cool idea and why other companies don't follow this idea is beyond me. To access it, you take out two pins, one to swing the lower receiver down from the upper and then another to take off the stock. (sorry no pictures of that) From there you:

How to take out the barrel, almost as easy as a P90:

Then from here, to get to the barrel:
Take the allen key out
Nec
Specops
Specops

Postby Regular Guy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:16 pm

Hmmm... I almost bought one - Magpul Masada. I went for the Classic Army LWRC. I like the idea of quick spring change feature! Maybe I will buy one in the future. Thanks for posting pics!
You Fancy Huh?!
Regular Guy
Soldier
Soldier

Next

Return to AEG/Electrics