Trigger pull.

Discuss battery powered AEGs (Automatic Electric Guns) in this forum.

Re: Trigger pull.

Postby Beran » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:56 pm

I inherently dislike high rate of fire setups and mods. No offense to you spazz, but I see people going on about "high rps" and the only parallel I can see is paintballers. If it were up to me (and I know and accept that it isn't) all guns would be limited to the RPM of their real life counterparts. I roll my eyes every time the guy next to me starts reloading because he blew his entire mag in the general direction of the badguys and didn't hit anything, while I still have 3/4 of my ammo left to go. I get that more rounds in the air means higher chance to hit, but personally I like to make up for airsoft's deficiencies with accuracy instead of volume. I find that it makes me able to last a lot longer in a fight.

And there absolutely can be arcing on an AEG. I've seen tons of trigger contacts with signs of arcing on them that had to be cleaned up because they weren't making a good connection anymore. Maybe not on a "tuned" trigger, but 90% of airsofters don't do that and just leave it stock. I've seen a couple of guns straight up catch fire during games from shorts, there's plenty of juice there.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Postby spazzticsmurff » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:59 pm

Beran wrote:I inherently dislike high rate of fire setups and mods. No offense to you spazz, but I see people going on about "high rps" and the only parallel I can see is paintballers. If it were up to me (and I know and accept that it isn't) all guns would be limited to the RPM of their real life counterparts. I roll my eyes every time the guy next to me starts reloading because he blew his entire mag in the general direction of the badguys and didn't hit anything, while I still have 3/4 of my ammo left to go. I get that more rounds in the air means higher chance to hit, but personally I like to make up for airsoft's deficiencies with accuracy instead of volume. I find that it makes me able to last a lot longer in a fight.

And there absolutely can be arcing on an AEG. I've seen tons of trigger contacts with signs of arcing on them that had to be cleaned up because they weren't making a good connection anymore. Maybe not on a "tuned" trigger, but 90% of airsofters don't do that and just leave it stock. I've seen a couple of guns straight up catch fire during games from shorts, there's plenty of juice there.

personaly i dont have any guns that run over 20rps, (well, besides my p90, but she is a whole nother story) my goal is trigger responce and and haveing a short trigger pull helps with that more than some people think. i play with my guns on a dayly basis. my cqb gun that i get 8rps with only shoots semi auto and when it is programed for full auto it only does 18rps. but the trigger responce is instantainious.
the arcing that you have seen in peoples trigger contacts has nothing to do with how short thier trigger pull is, it has to do with battery voltage. ive seen some nasty stuff happen and have fried a few setups myself before i learned the importance of a mosfet in a high voltage setup. i had one of my m4's compleatly melt the trigger assembly and just start shooting away with a hard nights play. melted the endbell off a ca high torque motor with my frist 11.1 lipo. that was actualy kind've amussing, when i went to pull out the motor and the hook i was using pulled right through the end bell. i appoligize for the miss understanding about the arcing. when a trigger is set up for a hair trigger mod it wont arc as long as it is set properly. a trigger will have that lil arc when the trigger is pulled because you are closing the gap so that it can arc. i know there is a formula out there that tells you how much voltage you need to arc over a given space but i cant seem to find it right now. but im almost positive that you have less than .5mm to cause an arc with the batterys we are useing.
spazzticsmurff
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby Beran » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:31 pm

Yeah, that was a misunderstanding I believe. I thought you were trying to say that guns never arced, rather than the relevance to shortening the pull and he distance the contacts had to move.

I get where you are coming from with the shorter pull decreasing lock time, but almost every gun I've used would have had a much decreased lock time from other more common upgrades like a battery or mosfet than by shortening the pull. It seems like it's a lot of work for not a lot of gain (comparatively). From the perspective of a real firearm, I know that a good trigger can make all the difference but that is an actual mechanical linkage rather than a fancy switch. On most AEGs, the weight of pull and travel distance makes little difference (unless it's something like an AUG, shazaam those squishy trigger transfer bars), since you are just pulling on a spring to move some metal bits around to close a connection. You could just replace the trigger altogether with a button and achieve the same effect.

To me it just seems like a lot of extra work for not that much gain, when there are other much simpler alternatives that net better results. I guess if you wanted to squeeze every little fraction of a fraction of a second out of your lockup time, it would be worth it but I've always been of the school of thought that simpler is better. Also, coming from real world guns a short hair trigger is not always desirable in a combat weapon. I want my weapon to go off when I want it to, not when a piece of gear rubs past the trigger on accident. That's another personal thing for me, though.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Postby Tankwitch » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:36 pm

My post about the SPEED Trigger came form my reading of the companies website.
http://www.speedairsoft.com/ProductImag ... category=5
My conclusion that I came too, still feels reasonable, that it is a small upgrade for micro switch mosfets.
As an upgrade towards performance it is a dubious thing to do, and thus is inadvisable. Which is what I have said.
But they are neat looking and if your cracking open the gearbox and you want that "match" look and some extra cash, go for it.

Arcing can be a problem, especially on Bull-pups. The sometimes overly long pull, which is nice is nice on a real firearm for allowing a nice slow pull in preparation of your shot, can arc and damage the contacts. My poor abused QBZ has arc scarring on the contacts and I've never used more than a 8.4 volt battery. Off beat AEG owners know how difficult it can be to get parts. Arnie's QBZ thread is dominated with people offering tricks just for routine maintenance and batteries.

So I came from this of someone who lives in the Airsoft "boonies" and owns a funny model. Any repair or mod that I do means that I have to order off a website, or do some special ordering through the just recently opened shop. You think about some of this more fanciful things that you can do differently. Cause you don't have reliable access to techs and parts. So you focus on being more practical, and "K.I.S.S." is how you live.
I'm a major chairsofter, sorry about that.
Tankwitch
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Previous

Return to AEG/Electrics