What's the largest battery I can run?

Discuss battery powered AEGs (Automatic Electric Guns) in this forum.

What's the largest battery I can run?

Postby GBVOblivion » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:23 pm

I'm looking to maybe put a 12v 12amp lead acid (the one for the m134) in a pack for my ca m249. I have an AIM torque up motor rated for an sp130. Would it blow? full internals upgraded.
GBVOblivion
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Re: What's the largest battery I can run?

Postby Mongoose Actual » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:05 pm

I wouldn't.
Mongoose Actual
Recruit
Recruit

Team: USMC USAF USNC

Postby Reeko » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:44 pm

no need to haul all the weight, . if you want the voltage just get a 12v battery pack. Check out hobbyking.com for some cheap lipos. an 11.1v lipo is more than enough power, and get like 4000mah if you want it to last a week without recharging
Last edited by Reeko on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOU SIR!!!!...... DO NOT HAVE ANY PANCAKE MIX!
Reeko
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spazzticsmurff » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:32 pm

11.1. lipo's charge to 12.6v and you can get them in over 6000mah which would be good for over 15000rnds. even with a saw you shouldnt need more than that for a days worth of play. and hobby king.com would be a great place to purchace all your lipo's.
here are some examples of the ones i happen to be talking about:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... ible_.html

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... _Pack.html

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... ible_.html

this is the one i most recently picked up to run n my guns:

be forewarned though, if your gun is not built to handle the kind of powerr these batterys are capable of putting out then you will have technical issues.
spazzticsmurff
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jester316 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:39 pm

I have a 7.4v 5000mah battery I use for my SAW. Actually 2 of them... I'm trying to find space so I can wire them in parallel so I can have a 7.4v 10,000mah battery... But alas, space is a premium, and those batteries are big.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Ivan Daylovich™ » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:52 pm

Just get a car battery. You can recharge them. Mount it in a backpack, since they are quite hefty.

Edit: wait that is a car battery. Nevermind. Should be just as good as every other 12V battery I've seen. Which it to say it will destroy everything you've ever loved.
Last edited by Ivan Daylovich™ on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivan Daylovich™

Team: {FAG}

Postby Payback » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:52 pm

Jester316 wrote:I have a 7.4v 5000mah battery I use for my SAW. Actually 2 of them... I'm trying to find space so I can wire them in parallel so I can have a 7.4v 10,000mah battery... But alas, space is a premium, and those batteries are big.

One in the front handguard, one in the stock. Wires ran on the side of the gearbox inside the body.
AKA: rbm33

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty
Payback
Ranger
Ranger

Team: A.S.T.D.

Postby GBVOblivion » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:48 am

This is giving me some great ideas! Thanks guys!

I'm looking at this guy: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh ... duct=21945

Would I need any special adapters? Best recommended charger?

When I'm done with the external mods there will be no stock. I'm going to run the wire through steel braided cable to a pack or pocket. The internals ARE fully upgraded in case there is any doubt.
GBVOblivion
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Payback » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:49 am

I'm no expert on the C rating, but i know most airsoft stuff runs around 25c. That battery you list is a 40c with 80c burst. Might be too much for an airsoft gun to handle.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty
Payback
Ranger
Ranger

Postby GBVOblivion » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:49 pm

What is the C rating and what does it stand for?
GBVOblivion
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Payback » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:57 pm

Well, i found this, but i'm not sure it clarifies it much more.

Discharge (C)
Discharge is the amount of power the battery can 'push' out and the number shown '20C' is an multiplication of the capacity. For example; A 20C battery can discharge at 20 x 2,000mAh which is 40,000mAh or 40Amps.
This is an important number if you know your motor requires a certain power level.
In addition to this, batteries have a 'Burst' rate, which is the amount of power the battery can discharge for a short period, usually 10-20 seconds. A typical battery label may show 20-30C, this would mean a 1,000mAh battery can discharge 20,000mAh constantly or give a sudden and short 10-20 second 30,000mAh (30A) burst of power.
Tip: A higher 'C' rated battery will last longer if run at a lower 'C' rate. Example: a 30C battery run at 20C maximum will have a longer cycle life than a 20C run at 20C each flight.

Payback
Ranger
Ranger

Postby spazzticsmurff » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:19 pm

i appoligize for the double post
Last edited by spazzticsmurff on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spazzticsmurff
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spazzticsmurff » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:22 pm

Payback wrote:I'm no expert on the C rating, but i know most airsoft stuff runs around 25c. That battery you list is a 40c with 80c burst. Might be too much for an airsoft gun to handle.

i find its allways good to buy batterys that have the ability to discharge at a much higher rate then you need. the motor will only pull as much power as it needs to run. i use 45-90c lipos for my guns and have had no problems. my buddy has been running his 45-90c 11.1 5000mah lipo for over a year with no issues that can be atributed to the discharge rating of the battery.

as far as buying lipo batterys goes here is what you want to think about.
make sure your gun is built to handle the voltage, 7.4 volt lipos will run almost every (quality) airsoft gun without any issues. because of its discharge rate, it seems to output the same as a 9.6v nimh. great for stock aplications, wire, gears, motors, ect.
if you decide to go with a 11.1 or higher voltage battery i would suggest that you also install at least a basic mosfet to save your trigger contacts. anything higher then a 20c lipo and i would also suggest that you upgrade the wiring to low resistance wire, i usualy use 16awg wire since im changing it anyways.

the c rating of the battery lists it capability, not the discharge rate that it puts out all the time. you allways want a higher c/discharge rating than your gun is capable of drawing. the fires and battery explosions that you hear about that have happened to some poor kid here and there, usualy happen because of a poor battery choice or because of a short that caused the battery to short out, forcing the battery to expell more energy that in is able to for too long.
lipo batterys can easily be damaged by a gun that requires more amps than the battery is capable of delivering.

now you can blow a motor from forcing to much power into it but that is usualy from running to high of voltage not to high of a c rating. ive melted 2 ca high torque ferite motors when i first started useing 11.1lipos and they were only 25-50c. but it was because i was abusing the motor and when it started to get warm i didnt stop firing and let it cool down, i kept shooting till i couldnt hold the grip anymore.
another reason a motor usualy blows is because someone runs a high voltage battery and the motor sheds a wind causing it to lock up. that is not the fault of the battery. it is a design flaw, most companys dont lay epoxy in the winds to hold them in place, copper is a very soft metal and deforms very easy. now imagine the amount of centrifical force being applied on the soft copper wire when a motor is spinning at 35,000rpm. wiht nothing to hold the wires in place they deform and come out of the coil causing the motor to lock up.

this turned out a lil bit longer than i anticipated but i hoped i helped a lil bit.
spazzticsmurff
Soldier
Soldier

Postby GBVOblivion » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:02 am

Sure did! Thanks.
GBVOblivion
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Darius137 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:39 am

They have pretty large 8.4v batteries.
Member of Rushing Russians KBДB (Cascadian VDV/Airborne) chapter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KEBAB.PARTY/
Darius137

Team: RR KBAB

Next

Return to AEG/Electrics