Is the CA M15A4 Good?

Discuss battery powered AEGs (Automatic Electric Guns) in this forum.

Is the CA M15A4 Good?

Postby wild_snow_mongoose » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:03 pm

I understand there are more than a few posts on here about this gun :) , however, most of those posts are also more than a few years old. My question is: "Should I buy the Classic Army M15A4?" (shown here) http://www.airsoftoutletnw.com/products ... e-w-free-b

I would also like to know a few things about it from people with first-hand experience with this gun. Things I would like to know are: Effective range, durability, and, is the carry detachable to allow optics mounting?

I know that this is the Armalite version, apparently that is the one to get.

I'm hoping to not have to upgrade it. I'm looking for something that's high-end, not going to break under normal use, and effective out to about 180 feet.

I respect your guy's opinions and would love some feedback.
wild_snow_mongoose
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Is the CA M15A4 Good?

Postby Tankwitch » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:25 pm

The carry handle is detachable, so optics can be installed.

Earlier this year I bought a Classic Army AR (The ECR-4). I had to get several repairs done to get it work right, and my model has a defective finish making it look much more worn that it really is. The trigger response on a 9.6 is groggy due to Classic Army using a very weak high torque motor as a basic motor. Matt has reported the same internal problems (double feeding) with the LWRC AR that I have experienced.

But conversely even with these problems, I love it to bits. Just keep this in mind if you do decide to get a Classic Army, that you might get one from a bad batch. With repairs and modifications it'll be nice, but make sure it's working right before you leave the store.
Last edited by Tankwitch on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a major chairsofter, sorry about that.
Tankwitch
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Junto » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Those big knobs on the side of the carry handle are for the screws that attach it to the top, so yes, it's detachable. Every CA M15 variant I've seen and had hands on experience with has been lovely. I wouldn't kick it down the side of a rocky hill, but they're durable, too. The only one I've seen break was being thoroughly abused. It was painful to watch.
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby wild_snow_mongoose » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:48 pm

Thanks for responding so quickly! Tankwitch,I hear what you're saying about the defects, however those were with a different model, where they not? This is not a sportline model, (I've heard bad things about those).

Junto, I don't plan on abusing it. :) And my jg g36 has lasted some 30,000-40,000 rounds, so, I take care of my guns.
So, is my 180 ft effective range estimate off?
wild_snow_mongoose
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Miker1st » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:08 am

I have the M15A2 which is a shorter (353mm internal barrel) CQB targeted variant. It had been badly abused by the previous owner, however, a reshim, barrel polish, and (soon to come) a new hop up bucking and it should work great. I have had issues with double feeding. The handle is detachable for optics. So far, my effective range has been about 120 feet, but that I would definitely chock up to a short barrel. The 9.6v I'm using turns it over fairly well, although, I'm sure a 10.8v would make a bit of a difference.
Here it is in comparison to my CYMA CM028U AK47
And here it is all torn apart.
Miker1st
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Alien_Hunter » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:45 pm

My team has had "Crap Army" guns... In the end they are not durable. CA is/was popular because a few years ago Marui, G&P and CA were the only game in town. For the price you could buy a King Arms M4.
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Tankwitch » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:45 pm

wild_snow_mongoose wrote:Thanks for responding so quickly! Tankwitch,I hear what you're saying about the defects, however those were with a different model, where they not? This is not a sportline model, (I've heard bad things about those).

Junto, I don't plan on abusing it. :) And my jg g36 has lasted some 30,000-40,000 rounds, so, I take care of my guns.
So, is my 180 ft effective range estimate off?

The model I bought is also part of CA's proline and part of the higher end of it too. The main problems with Classic Army these days is mostly from the weak motor that they use stock. People also find fault in the mediocre hop-up rubber and barrels that come standard.

But back some years ago Classic Army was noted for making a product nicknamed "gutters." For you had to replace most if not all of the internal working parts in order to get something good.

They are pretty good, externally not up to par with Real Sword or has Mauri's reliability, but still pretty darn good.
I'm a major chairsofter, sorry about that.
Tankwitch
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Junto » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:40 pm

Alien_Hunter wrote:My team has had "Crap Army" guns... In the end they are not durable. CA is/was popular because a few years ago Marui, G&P and CA were the only game in town. For the price you could buy a King Arms M4.
Yeah... that's bullshit. Anything to back up calling them "Crap Army"? Any stories about them breaking under regular wear-and-tear? My dad's CA has been operational since purchased, takes upgrades well, and has lost 0 external parts to durability issues or anything else over the last 8 YEARS. "In the end," there is no end to a well-maintained CA M15.
Junto

Postby Tyrant » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:10 pm

Junto wrote:
Alien_Hunter wrote:My team has had "Crap Army" guns... In the end they are not durable. CA is/was popular because a few years ago Marui, G&P and CA were the only game in town. For the price you could buy a King Arms M4.
Yeah... that's bullshit. Anything to back up calling them "Crap Army"? Any stories about them breaking under regular wear-and-tear? My dad's CA has been operational since purchased, takes upgrades well, and has lost 0 external parts to durability issues or anything else over the last 8 YEARS. "In the end," there is no end to a well-maintained CA M15.

I will second the motion of calling this bullshit. I had a CA M15A4 and while the FPS was lower than I would have liked out of the box, it took upgrades like a champion and then never let me down. The ONLY reason I got rid of it was for a change to something unique. I will back up anything made by CA.
"Never Run With Scissors" Col. Jack O'Neill US Air Force......Two Ls
Tyrant

Postby Miker1st » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:28 pm

Tyrant wrote:
Junto wrote:

I will second the motion of calling this bullshit. I had a CA M15A4 and while the FPS was lower than I would have liked out of the box, it took upgrades like a champion and then never let me down. The ONLY reason I got rid of it was for a change to something unique. I will back up anything made by CA.

I will third this motion. My CA is solid. All mine needed when I got it used is normal wear and tear maintenance. Like most things built well, all it takes is proper care and handling.
Miker1st
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Alien_Hunter » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:19 am

"My team has had "Crap Army" guns... In the end they are not durable. CA is/was popular because a few years ago Marui, G&P and CA were the only game in town. For the price you could buy a King Arms M4.[/quote] Yeah... that's bullshit. Anything to back up calling them "Crap Army"? Any stories about them breaking under regular wear-and-tear? My dad's CA has been operational since purchased, takes upgrades well, and has lost 0 external parts to durability issues or anything else over the last 8 YEARS. "In the end," there is no end to a well-maintained CA M15.

I will third this motion. My CA is solid. All mine needed when I got it used is normal wear and tear maintenance. Like most things built well, all it takes is proper care and handling.[/quote][/quote]

We had a sportline M4 and an older metal-bodied M4. The sportline died within a few months. First the gun started misfiring, and it was loud, then the piston broke and took some other parts with it. It was like everything started failing. The other we just hated. What I meant in my original post was that there are other companies that provide a superior product at the same cost. There is nothing special about the CA's line-up, quality or quality control. I consider CA to be on the level of JG or Dboy. If you want to buy brand name guns then go for it, but there are brand name guns at the same price that are better guns. A LOT of people have gotten CA duds and lemons. Crap Army is the name we gave the guns AFTER they became such a P.I.T.A.
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby wild_snow_mongoose » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:00 pm

Thanks for all the info, guys! I've read some more reviews and am pretty sure I'll get this gun. However, I'm going up to portland anyway this week, so I'll drop by the store and talk with the guys there. I trust they'll help me make the best choice. I'll let you know if I buy this gun and how it performs, or if I buy a different gun and why. I am once again glad to have such a supportive community on here, thanks!
wild_snow_mongoose
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Matt » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:47 pm

CA Sport-Line and an actual CA M15A4 are two different things. You don't buy the sport-line if you want quality, you buy the sport-line if you are cheap. And when you are cheap, you get what you pay for.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby wild_snow_mongoose » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Absolutely Matt, I'll stay away from the sportline. I'm also considering the KWA KM16BR. I'll post the outcome.
wild_snow_mongoose
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Forty5ive » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:53 pm

wild_snow_mongoose wrote:I understand there are more than a few posts on here about this gun :) , however, most of those posts are also more than a few years old. My question is: "Should I buy the Classic Army M15A4?" (shown here) http://www.airsoftoutletnw.com/products ... e-w-free-b

I would also like to know a few things about it from people with first-hand experience with this gun. Things I would like to know are: Effective range, durability, and, is the carry detachable to allow optics mounting?

I know that this is the Armalite version, apparently that is the one to get.

I'm hoping to not have to upgrade it. I'm looking for something that's high-end, not going to break under normal use, and effective out to about 180 feet.

I respect your guy's opinions and would love some feedback.

I own this AEG and my experience has been less than great. The front sight began to wobble after a few weeks and eventually became totally useless. The carry handle is detachable so you can attach optics to the rail. Maybe I bought a lemon, but given the chance to re-do it I would not buy this AEG again.
Forty5ive
Grunt
Grunt

Next

Return to AEG/Electrics