ICS MP5 not firing.

Discuss battery powered AEGs (Automatic Electric Guns) in this forum.

ICS MP5 not firing.

Postby Alien_Hunter » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:42 pm

My used ICS Mp5 has stopped firing. It's not jammed on the AR latch. I have a suspicion that it is the motor. I hooked up the motor directly to a 9v battery and it doesn't spin or budge even a little. I tried the "No-dollar AEG motor RX" thread. Nada. Unfortunately for right now, it is the only long (?) motor I have to test.

Things I've checked:

The fuse: pristine condition

Gearbox: Disassembled, no obvious defects.
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Re: ICS MP5 not firing.

Postby Jester316 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:55 pm

Did you hook the motor up outside the gearbox?
Did you use a real 9volt or an airsoft 9.6v battery?
Have you tried a different motor hooked up to the wiring to check the wiring/trigger contact?
Does it make any sound at all?
Does it get warm?
Does it spark?
Does it does it spin when you try to spin it?
How hard is it to spin the motor?
Have you tried a different battery?
Is your battery charged?

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Alien_Hunter » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:43 am

The motor would not spin when attached to a 9v battery (not an airsoft-battery). I have only 1 long motor. I'm taking it to my friends house where he has another working motor. The airsoft battery had been sitting for weeks. It could've been dead.

-No obvious resistance when spun

-Motor would not operate attached to the gearbox

-No noise made
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Alien_Hunter » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:10 pm

Well the motor does work. There seems to be a short or something in the gearbox. What are the usual causes?
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Alien_Hunter » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:05 pm

Bump.
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Switchback » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:57 pm

Your motor might not have the power to turn the gears. If it doesn't click every 15 degrees of rotation or so, then it has something very wrong with it. When you plug in the battery and pull the trigger (assuming the motor spins outside the gun) you should at least hear a small *thunk* when the motor turns just a little bit (a twitch of the motor). Using a NON-airsoft battery is going to screw things up, because the motors are airsoft motors. Just a gamble you don't want to take.

When you say "there is a short" in the gearbox, do you mean that your whole drive system (battery, motor, wiring) is heating up during your tests? That indicates a short. You may have bad trigger contacts if you don't get that twitch.
"I have the cutest dog."
Switchback

Postby Lemley » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:46 am

Switchback wrote:Your motor might not have the power to turn the gears. If it doesn't click every 15 degrees of rotation or so, then it has something very wrong with it. When you plug in the battery and pull the trigger (assuming the motor spins outside the gun) you should at least hear a small *thunk* when the motor turns just a little bit (a twitch of the motor). Using a NON-airsoft battery is going to screw things up, because the motors are airsoft motors. Just a gamble you don't want to take.

When you say "there is a short" in the gearbox, do you mean that your whole drive system (battery, motor, wiring) is heating up during your tests? That indicates a short. You may have bad trigger contacts if you don't get that twitch.

Ditto, if it is a short make sure that you don't have any exposed wiring. If you find some use electrical tape or shrink wrap to cover the exposed wiring. Have you reassembled your gb and tried shooting it again? I would consider a new motor but do what you can first. Also I would test it after by-passing the fuse, I've had fuses look good but they were the cause of my headaches.
Lemley
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Alien_Hunter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:48 pm

Let me restart. I am terrible at explaining these things. I have 2 gearboxes. One belongs to the Mp5 and the other to an M4. They are both out of their respective guns right now for different reasons. When I attach the motor (Mp5) to the Mp5 gearbox and pull the trigger, nada. (The motor is only attatched to the wires, it's not pulling the gears). When attached to the M4 in the same way, it spins at high rpms when I pull the trigger, just fine.

So I think there is a broken contact in the trigger area of the MP5's gearbox. My 9v battery "test" was bunk, so ignore that.
I'm wondering what the problem is with the trigger, like something shorted all of a sudden (in the trigger contact). We were shooting and then the gun just stopped, no smoking or no screeching it just stopped.
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jester316 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:33 pm

Alien_Hunter wrote:I'm wondering what the problem is with the trigger, like something shorted all of a sudden (in the trigger contact). We were shooting and then the gun just stopped, no smoking or no screeching it just stopped.

Disassemble gearbox
find faulty wiring
shazaam a duck

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Alien_Hunter » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:21 pm

The trigger spring fell out and was not allowing the trigger to engage.

EDIT: It's an oldie but a goodie. It doesn't even have real bearing-bushings, just copper rings. ICS made a quality gun for sure though. 8)
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Alien_Hunter » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:50 pm

It's not shooting again for different reasons. Going to the shop :doubt:
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier