Getting back into airsoft- catch me up on Hop ups?

Discuss battery powered AEGs (Automatic Electric Guns) in this forum.

Getting back into airsoft- catch me up on Hop ups?

Postby Mrmagoo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:40 am

When I left for college- a hop up was defined by the quality of installation and the bucking. All nubs were the same, just a tiny round tube. Im now fixing my old gun back up and have come across all this information about upgraded hop ups, and it's a bit overwhelming for an old timer like me. :lol:

Shredder SCS, H-hops, R-Hops, Flat hops, hops from outer space. Can anyone give me the rundown? I dont mind taking some time to tune it just right, just want to get the most out of my gun.

Currently using a DEES 6.01 barrel that I absolutely love and a guarder soft hop up bucking with m120 spring (that probably needs replacing).

Thanks!
I sleep soundly. The fact that people die because of an AK-47 is not because of the designer, but because of politics. (Mikhail Kalashnikov)
Mrmagoo
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Re: Getting back into airsoft- catch me up on Hop ups?

Postby Reeko » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:22 pm

SCS nubs are concave and contour to the shape of the bb, H nubs are similar, but less rounded.

R-hops are contact patches that sit in the barrel window, they are finely tuned with sandpaper to get the right fit.

So you can use any bucking and nub that you want with an R-hop But you will have to remove the bumps on the inside of the bucking beforehand.

There are also ER-hops which require you to actually lengthen the current barrel window for even more contact area with the bb. These allow you to put a very consistent, and high amount of backspin on heavier bb's. .3g+.

M-Nubs, are a rubbery eraser like material used with r-hops and sometimes flat hops. That gives more surface pressure to the contact patch than a standard round nub. Requires you to file down the hop up arm to be flat.

Flat hops are pretty much just an Mnub, and a bucking without a contact patch. But you sand down the inside of the bucking, so that there are no bumps.
YOU SIR!!!!...... DO NOT HAVE ANY PANCAKE MIX!
Reeko
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Return to AEG/Electrics