gearbox lock up

Discuss battery powered AEGs (Automatic Electric Guns) in this forum.

gearbox lock up

Postby jake_smith1022 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:32 am

So my echo one scar has finaly broke after 6 years of play and no maintance execpt barrel cleaning and spraying gear lube into the gear box.

The issue: at first the gear box was spining gears so i opened it up and found my selector gear and piston were stripped. So i ordered echo one gear set and a piston. After installing the gear set and piston i placed the gear box back together and slotted the motor into place. Pulled the trigger and it fired one shot then locked the piston all the way back. The motor tried to pull but wouldnt. Upon disassembly i stuck a small screw driver into the hole where the motor goes in to see if i could move the anti reversal latch. In doing so i noticed quite a bit of play in the bevel gear and that the anti reversal latch could move freely without releasing the tension on the gears and send the piston forward.

Question: what would cause the play and lack of tension in the gear and latch? Why is the gear box locking up?

Possiable soulutions: new motor? Improper shimming? Shave a tooth on the piston?
jake_smith1022
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: gearbox lock up

Postby Robeson » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:37 am

The way the bevel gear sits in there it could easily be binding against the other gears if it has too much play. Did you check the bushings in the housing while it was apart?
You either live by it or just talk about it.
Robeson
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Re: gearbox lock up

Postby Payback » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:15 am

Make sure you installed the AR latch properly. It should be on the bottom of the bevel gear. Also, make sure you didn't bind things up when you put it all back together.

If you simply put the new gears in, then re-assembled the box, you did it wrong. You need to take it all apart, put the new gears in, SHIM THEM, there are many good articles and how to video's on proper shimming, then re-assemble the box complete and put it back into the gun.

As for it locking up, it could have been the motor sitting too high. Could be that your piston was not sitting in it's tracks, could be many other things. But you need to shim it.
AKA: rbm33

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty
Payback
Ranger
Ranger

Team: A.S.T.D.

Return to AEG/Electrics