KWA Ronin RM4 Recon - Experienced opinion wanted

Discuss battery powered AEGs (Automatic Electric Guns) in this forum.

KWA Ronin RM4 Recon - Experienced opinion wanted

Postby lalalavine » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi All!

I'm contemplating on purchasing the KWA Ronin RM4 Recon (15" M-LOK) and I have not found any clear/extensive reviews of it or on it. There are some videos of people playing with it, but very very few that have great and helpful content.
I'm looking for content on:
- RPS (on 11.1 lipo)
- weight (how it feels in hand)
- ergonomics (I'm a size large in gloves)
- issues with feeding with any mags (I have/use PTS EPM midcaps)
- stock barrel & stock bucking performance
- suggested upgrades
- experience with RM "kick/recoil" (what it feels like / is it distracting)
- tips/tricks/concerns/comments

I really hope there is someone out there that can help me out! I just want to be convinced (by something other than their website) before I spend $400!

Thanks!

- Veggies
lalalavine
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Re: KWA Ronin RM4 Recon - Experienced opinion wanted

Postby lalalavine » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:41 pm

Also looking for effective range (80% hit rate on a body sized target).
lalalavine
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Grounded » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:57 am

pm'd you
Grounded
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SA12 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:43 am

I’ve only had a few games of using the RM4 but I really like them, my friend also owns one and enjoys it as well.

- RPS (on 11.1 lipo): No idea as I don’t care about RPS

- weight (how it feels in hand): The RM4 is heavier than most M4s but in a nice way.

- ergonomics (I'm a size large in gloves): It’s just another M4 and you can change all the accessories.

- issues with feeding with any mags (I have/use PTS EPM midcaps): Haven’t heard of EPM feeding issues but I highly recommend the PTS PMAG (30/60), KWA K120C (30/120), PTS EPM for erg (30/120). The cut off feature when empty only works with those magazines. They also made stanag style mags but not anymore.

- stock barrel & stock bucking performance: Good but you have to warm up the bucking, before it warms up it doesn’t shoot to well then suddenly it’s night and day.

- suggested upgrades: Most users just upgrade the bucking and sometimes the barrel. You can upgrade nearly all the internals. Some take a little modding though like changing out the HopUp unit which isn’t really necessary. Last gun I had performed well stock. Just picked one up that is flat hopped and has a barrel but I haven’t had a chance to get it out yet.

- experience with RM "kick/recoil" (what it feels like / is it distracting): Once you use a recoil gun you won’t want to switch back. I tried to and bought a non recoil Ronin thinking I probably wouldn’t care and after one game without the recoil I sold the gun and bought another RM4.

- tips/tricks/concerns/comments: I haven’t had the exact model you’re looking at but it’s really just a RM4 with some different externals. Changing the spring is super easy to adjust FPS and takes maybe a minute to do which is a nice feature.
SA12
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SOTA

Postby lalalavine » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:35 am

@SA12

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your thoughts and experiences!!!
I'm so grateful for your confidence and experiences with the gun.
I ordered the Recon and it should be here Monday and I am really stinking excited to get it ripping on the field.

In regard to your post, I think I'll shoot a couple thousand rounds through it just to see what its like warmed up and if so I'll swap out the bucking (I have some new Madbull Blues & a flathop system) and see how the performance changes.

I could be knit-picking, but do you think there is a huge difference between its stock 6.05mm semi-tightbore barrel and a 6.01mm (mansume) Tightbore? I could just be paranoid. I may just get an the 6.01 barrel to simply quiet my thoughts/ideas (hahaha).
lalalavine
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Dennis - Crossbow » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:15 pm

Personally I think a 6.01 is too tight unless your setting up a high-end bolt. I do have a 6.01 in my KWA LM4, but that was the only option for a aftermarket barrel at the time I did my mods. 6.03 seems to be the perfect match for AEGs, my opinion. Yes ammo is always a concern, but I run very good ammo.

The stock 6.05 is not bad either, here is my pattern after about 200 rounds through my brand new Ronin (SBR mind you), last April and after a quick barrel clean.

This was at 95' and outdoors. Should remind some folks to always call your hits 8)

Funny story, I play year around and a few winters back I had a madbull 6.01 in my SR10, it was 15deg outside and the gun always ran great .. but it was so cold he aluminum barrel contracted enough to cause my BB to jam in the barrel.

In a future eposide of Tips & Tricks viewforum.php?f=169 we will show you how to improve the performance of that stock barrel.

BTW ... thanks for posting your question and thanks to everyone that has taken the time to share their feedback!!
Thank you,
Dennis "Crossbow"

Remember to like us on Facebook and follow us on YouTube, Twitter and Instragram
Dennis - Crossbow
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lalalavine » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:55 pm

@ Dennis

That's nuts about the aluminum barrel!!! Hahaha! Craziness!!

Thank you for taking those photos and yeah, that 6.05 looks like its AMAZING. I had similar groupings at that distance with my previous gun and it had a 6.03.

I'm definitely going to run this gun stock for a while and get a really good feel for the gun. Most likely post about it, especially in regard to the 15" mlok upper experience; I'll post my finding here to keep content organized and specific.

Thanks everyone! This was the info I've been craving and looking for!
lalalavine
Recruit
Recruit

Return to AEG/Electrics