Resurrecting Sniper

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

Resurrecting Sniper

Postby Flak » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:25 pm

So it has been a very long time since I have last played airsoft, and I have just recently decided to start playing again. The extreme time commitments of school, extracurriculars, and work have kept me out for too long, and I am tired of looking at the different kinds of dust on my gun boxes and using my gear as my halloween costume for the second year in a row. And so, I have decided to resurrect as a sniper again.

The play style here in Arizona is much different than in the PacNW. There is much greater visibility, the weather is more consistent, and there is a definite lack of true snipers at games (while much of you would consider that fantastic, I want to try to change that lol). I currently have a great set up with a really nice KWA M16, but if any of you remember my old VSR-10, I will not settle for any less if I go back to a bolt platform.

However, being the cheapskate college student I am with a good amount of airsmithing skills, I have decided to use a clone and upgrade it from there.

Hence, my dilema is what clone I should use with regards to the upgrades I plan on putting in it. I would've liked to use the JG BAR-10, but I can't seem to find any online... The ones I am currently choosing between are the TSD SD700 and the Socom Gear R700, because I have read they are both TM VSR-10 compatible.

The upgrades I plan on installing are a Masamune 6.01x640mm inner barrel, a TM VSR-10 silencer adaptor, and a JBU barrel extender (must be at least 200mm). With a silencing/packing mod and a few teflon airseal mods, that should make this replica surprisingly accurate from simply the inner barrel length and bore.

So again, my question is, which clone would be best suited for this job? Also, can anyone find a JG BAR-10 online for a reasonable price?
Flak

Team: N/A

Postby CBeran » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:29 pm

I can't speak for the TSD or JG firsthand, but I can tell you that the Socom Gear R700 that I bought had the worst sears I have ever seen. They broke within days of me upgrading the spring. If you are going to leave the cylinder stock I would steer clear of the Socom Gear.

Hope that helps a bit.
CBeran
Soldier
Soldier

Team: APST

Postby Flak » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:10 am

Yes, that does. What level spring did you use?

New questions: If I purchase a 6.01mm inner barrel, am I going to have to modify it to make it fit the rifle's hopup? Or will it take the AEG cut barrel? And will the difference in barrel length between a 640mm and a 450mm make a significant difference?
Flak

Postby CBeran » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:27 am

I cant remember the exact spring level, but it brought the gun right to about 530ish. As far as the lengths of the inner barrel, the 650 should give a noticeable increase in accuracy at range I would think. If it was a difference of less than 100mm than probably not. I think the VSR can use an AEG barrel. I would double check this though. I know that it can use an AEG hop-up bucking with a little cutting.
CBeran
Soldier
Soldier

Team: APST

Postby Tombstone » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:30 am

That "Cheap Sniper Rifle and the NooB" thread that Ka-bar started wasn't actually a new-kid bashing thread, it was a guide on how to turn a stock clone rifle and turn it into a contender on a budget, check it out.

<link to come>
No expectations, No disappointment
Tombstone

Team: Mithril

Postby Nelson674 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:43 pm

I picked up a TSD SD700 a few months ago. I have only skirmed it once and i was very happy with its performance. I cleaned up the slop in the hop up unit using shims and teflon sealed the bucking to barrel. I was hitting torso sized targets at 100 feet easy with .43's and all stock components.

I dont have any personal experience with the VSR lineup but from what i have read there is one thing you might take into consideration when looking for VSR compatible parts.

to my knowledge the SD700 barrel is longer then the VSR and it is also tapered. I dont know if that would cause complications with your desired barrel setup or not..

I dont know if i would upgrade the spring. the trigger mech has held up just fine for me with all stock components but it does look like its made out of cheap pot metal. I would recommend sucking every last bit out of the stock spring by making sure you have a perfect air seal, polished cylinder, ect.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you have. I've taking mine apart more times then i can count so I'm pretty familiar with the gun.

Nelson
Nelson674
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jester316 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:46 pm

Dan, the tsd is what I have. I love it to death. It is a vsr-10 and takes the same upgrades. Except the barrel is 510mm. Get it and be happy. You're just gonna upgrade the shit out of it anyways, why not get a cheap base to build on.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers