help with a utg l96

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

help with a utg l96

Postby Mongrol » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:07 pm

I have a utg l96 that is acting all strange. After getting the ASR upgrade and a madbull 6.03, my groupings are crap. At 150 ft i have shots that go straight, spin right and even some that look like they are going a little left (not spinning left). i have used .2s .25s .3s and .32s and still havnt found the right answer. any suggestions? Im open to anything.
Mongrol
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby Carpet » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:40 pm

Sounds like your hop up bucking is in wrong. Or you just have UTG syndrome. If you can, re-assemble the hop up and barrel, clean it out, don't spray lube on the bucking.
Carpet
Specops
Specops

Postby phiz » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:35 am

Get a 6mm rifle cleaning kit at bimart for like $8 it comes with patches precut. Swab the barrel and bucking with rubbing alchohol, and dry it well. Shoot about 100 rounds with the hop up on max, just to break in the rubber. Then adjust the hop up and check groupings. Don't use silicon on a sniper barrel / bucking.

Also, you should get a chrono so you can make sure the FPS is consistent shot to shot. Wrapping the bucking to the barrel with teflon is really important for FPS consistency.

Plus your madbull might just be one of the random defects. Make sure it rolls straight on a flat surface and doesn't have a bend. Go back to your stock barrel if it is better.

At 500+ fps you should be using .36 or heavier. Read about BB weight and fps here:

http://msed.bbbastard.com/
phiz
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Merchant » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:29 am

phiz wrote:Get a 6mm rifle cleaning kit at bimart for like $8 it comes with patches precut. Swab the barrel and bucking with rubbing alchohol, and dry it well. Shoot about 100 rounds with the hop up on max, just to break in the rubber. Then adjust the hop up and check groupings. Don't use silicon on a sniper barrel / bucking.

Also, you should get a chrono so you can make sure the FPS is consistent shot to shot. Wrapping the bucking to the barrel with teflon is really important for FPS consistency.

Plus your madbull might just be one of the random defects. Make sure it rolls straight on a flat surface and doesn't have a bend. Go back to your stock barrel if it is better.

At 500+ fps you should be using .36 or heavier. Read about BB weight and fps here:

http://msed.bbbastard.com/

+1

Also what kind of barrel spacers do you have? If you are using the stock crappy foam rings that will also affect accuracy. Use the paper/electrical tape mod:
[url]
http://www.airsoftretreat.com/forums/in ... ic=82742.0[/url]

You'll have to scroll down some to get to the barrel spacer mod.
Merchant
Soldier
Soldier

Postby KA-BAR » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:39 am

i am going to go with barrel spacers and the fact that it is not a tight bore......most stock barrles are 6.04, his is a 6.03? to greatly increase your groups at range you will need a 6.01 stainless steel TB. Seagreen makes custom ones or you can buy a after market one. but get a good tight bore, since this is by far your most important upgrade.

3 foam barrel spacers wouldnt hurt either.
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Postby Jester316 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:16 am

KA-BAR wrote:i am going to go with barrel spacers and the fact that it is not a tight bore......most stock barrles are 6.04, his is a 6.03? to greatly increase your groups at range you will need a 6.01 stainless steel TB. Seagreen makes custom ones or you can buy a after market one. but get a good tight bore, since this is by far your most important upgrade.

3 foam barrel spacers wouldnt hurt either.

Morgan, Bill's barrels are 6.02...

Also, one of these days I'll have to take a picture of my barrel spacers. I took a sheet of 1" thick foam, and used the outer barrel to punch out circles. Then I cut holes in the middle of those to push the inner barrel through. Now, I have one long foam snake in the entire outer barrel holding my inner in place.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby KA-BAR » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:27 am

sweet. foam snake.
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Postby Mongrol » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:23 pm

thanks guys, im gonna go with the 1 piece barrel spacer and the teflon tape for now, other than just being a little too squishy than the norm, whats a good way to tell if i over lubed the bucking with silicon? i haven't found a replacement bucking for anything other than ones for a vsr 10. I could be mistaken but if i remember right the utg isnt compatible with vsr 10 parts. Il go with the 6.01 when i get enough cash :)
Mongrol
Soldier
Soldier

Postby phiz » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:29 pm

phiz wrote: Don't use silicon on a sniper barrel / bucking.

any amount of silicon is too much. you don't want it on a sniper.
phiz
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mongrol » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:30 pm

ok, does anybody know where i can get another bucking?
Mongrol
Soldier
Soldier

Postby phiz » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:52 pm

Just wash the one you have unless it is ripped, silicon comes off with soap.

Then wrap the hop up, see http://airsoft-guns-blog.pyramydair.com ... arrel.html for a picture.

I've also used dental floss but find the teflon tape tends to be more consistent.
phiz
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mongrol » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:16 pm

alright thanks guys, much appreciated.
Mongrol
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mongrol » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:49 pm

okay so i scrubbed the bucking with soap, wrapped it in teflon and made the barrel spacer that was linked in merchants comment. At ~150 ft its pretty dead on. After that it starts to spin left. My only guess is that one side of the hop up arm is pressing harder than the other and giving that spin. Anybody think thats plausible or do you think its something else?
Mongrol
Soldier
Soldier

Postby RedSpo0n » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:01 pm

A really common problem with the L96 is the barrel can rotate and move when it shouldn't.

Give Lulu's L96 Magwell shim a read - I used a different material to shim mine for stability, but it solved my 'right hook' completely.
With all the pretty flowers and twigs in your ghillie.. perhaps you should take up gardening?
RedSpo0n
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers