Curious about possible sniping options

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

Curious about possible sniping options

Postby Tactical Church » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:42 pm

I usually am the run my butt off and try to help where ever i can with as much kills as i can guy on the field. but recently i have been curious to try out the sniping/marksman route and i just purchased this gun
http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info ... s_id=23916
for just a longer ranged DMR.
I am currently having it upgraded and looked at by the awsome people of Airsoft Outlet NW.
My question is with this gun being fully upgraded but only to 400 fps would i be just fine trying to be a marksman or should i invest in a bolt platform?
Never leave a man behind.

Tactical Church
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby Falcon7 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:47 pm

Depends on what you want out of your gun. With upgraded barrel, nub, and whatnot you will get much more accuracy than the average machine gunner. If you want to eliminate most of the running around and sneak around sniping people you should go with a bolt. If you go DM you will still be just another member of the squad, except you have a bit more range. If there are enough fields around you with DM rules, don't hesitate to go over 400fps.
Interested in joining Bop? Want to get rid of a broken gun? PM me.
Falcon7
Soldier
Soldier

Team: BoP

Postby Tactical Church » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:52 pm

I see what you mean. I was curious about using this gun with a semi only option and a guille suite and kind of lone wolfing it. but your saying maybe a bolt would be alot better for that than this gun?

Tactical Church
Soldier
Soldier

Postby quigly » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:55 pm

No. Stick with the sr25 for now. You will be happier with the greater fire power it gives you. And if you do make it semi only and raise the fps, you will be VERY happy about it. That gun has a long enough barrel that it will punch out pretty far even at 400 with the right barrel and hop up set up.
My father once told me, "Some times all you have is a bullet and a prayer, don't miss."
quigly
Specops
Specops

Postby Falcon7 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:55 pm

If you are going to run off by yourself and try to shoot people while dressed like a bush, then you should definitely get a bolt action. Not that you couldn't pull that off with a DMR, but a bolt is more suited for that. DMs should have backup. Plus with a bolt you don't have to worry about FPS as much. It will take a lot of work though. Make sure the gun you buy is compatible with the parts you want to put in it. Also think about borrowing somebody's gun to try it out and see if sniping is your thing. BUT if you already have the SR-25 and are upgrading it you may as well just use that.

tl:dr- Bolt has more range, DMRs are fun too but they have different applications.
Last edited by Falcon7 on Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falcon7
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Falcon7 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:57 pm

Oops double post.
Falcon7
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Tactical Church » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:08 pm

True. I think Ill do that. ill borrow a bolt sometime from a friend or something and see how it goes. but im definatly happy to hear that my SR-25 will be very good. im super excited to use it some time soon

Tactical Church
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jester316 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:18 pm

SR-25 will be great after Jesse makes l0ve to it. Borrowing a bolt action is not a good idea. You could be using a highly upgraded one, or bone stock one. Either way, you'll be disillusioned to what you can do/get.

Example: I let you use my upgraded TSD M700. You fall in love with it (rightfully so). You go out and purchase the same gun and same scope. You take it to a game, and your first shot is nothing like what you were getting with my gun. The problem is, I've (and any other competent bolt turner) have spent hundreds of hours tweaking and tuning and cursing and sp00ging over it. You can't just buy a bolt action and expect it to perform perfectly right out of the box. Even if you are happy with it initially, you'll soon want to upgrade it to get that extra bit of accuracy, that extra range. All so you can ensure a first shot kill.

So, in my meager opinion: stick with your SR-25. Work on field craft. Don't use a ghillie right off the bat. Work on moving quietly. Work on using your surroundings for concealment. Work on the fundamentals of airsoft marksmanship. After you become superb with a semi-auto AEG, than consider moving into bolt actions.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Falcon7 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:21 pm

Jester316 wrote:You can't just buy a bolt action and expect it to perform perfectly right out of the box.

This. Maybe buy a bolt later and work with it until you are happy with it.
Falcon7
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Tactical Church » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:23 pm

Jester316 wrote:SR-25 will be great after Jesse makes l0ve to it. Borrowing a bolt action is not a good idea. You could be using a highly upgraded one, or bone stock one. Either way, you'll be disillusioned to what you can do/get.

Example: I let you use my upgraded TSD M700. You fall in love with it (rightfully so). You go out and purchase the same gun and same scope. You take it to a game, and your first shot is nothing like what you were getting with my gun. The problem is, I've (and any other competent bolt turner) have spent hundreds of hours tweaking and tuning and cursing and sp00ging over it. You can't just buy a bolt action and expect it to perform perfectly right out of the box. Even if you are happy with it initially, you'll soon want to upgrade it to get that extra bit of accuracy, that extra range. All so you can ensure a first shot kill.

So, in my meager opinion: stick with your SR-25. Work on field craft. Don't use a ghillie right off the bat. Work on moving quietly. Work on using your surroundings for concealment. Work on the fundamentals of airsoft marksmanship. After you become superb with a semi-auto AEG, than consider moving into bolt actions.

I consider this great advice. thanks. your right when you say jessy will make the gun great. im very excited to see how it performs once he is done. I liked the suggestion to work on the funtamentals first because honestly i could use some work on that. well thanks for the advice man.

Tactical Church
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jester316 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:24 pm

Think about it this way: if you can't hit shit with 10 bb's (AEG), you REALLY can't hit shit with 1 (bolt action).

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers