UTG L96 upgrade problem

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

UTG L96 upgrade problem

Postby Blizzard » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:25 am

I have been teching AEG's for several years now and I know them inside and out like the back of my hand, but I haven't really done much work on a bolt platform. I've fixed a few but haven't really spent much time in them. Recently, I picked up a UTG L96 just to see what I could do with it. I installed a new bucking (from Leapers) since the old one was shredded, an ASGI 6.01, and did the mods as listed in this thread: http://www.airsoftforum.com/bouard/Stoc ... 72200.html

After putting it all back together, I sent some Riddick .28's down it (all I had at the time), and the performance was very disappointing. Every once in a while, I'll get perfect trajectory, but most of the time, not matter how far clockwise I torque the barrel, it consistently hooks hard left. I'm pretty sure it's not the hopup because I put in two different Leapers buckings and have turned the barrel every which-way with no results. I'm guessing it's the barrel, but I'm no expert with bolts, so I've come to AP for answers.

What could be causing the consistent flyers? Could it be in the bolt itself?
For every action (Bang) there is an equal and opposite reaction (HIT!)
Previously AsianMarksman
Blizzard
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby KA-BAR » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:25 am

check your barrel crown for a burr.

do you have inner barrel bushings?

try a heavier rounds if you are shooting more than 450fps. .25/.28's get unpredictable at higher speeds.

check the arms of your hop up, or the nub for defects.
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Postby Blizzard » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:47 pm

Nope, no burrs.

I put in paper wrap bushings after I saw your post, and that seems to help a lot. I was just using the foam bushings previously. The groupings are still inconsistent, but at least I can control the general direction of the BB curve now. Like you said, I probably just need a heavier round.

The hopup arm is still good.
For every action (Bang) there is an equal and opposite reaction (HIT!)
Previously AsianMarksman
Blizzard
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Messenger » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:02 pm

One easy way to tell if it has anything to do with your bucking/hopup unit is to turn your hopup off and take some shots, then turn it up and take some shots. If your group gets worse when you are turning your hopup on higher, then it is a good chance there is a problem in your hop up and/or bucking.
Even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then.
Messenger
Grunt
Grunt

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers