Ghillie suits

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

Ghillie suits

Postby MagicMarker » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:18 am

I searched and found no ghillie suit thread, i say we start one, because i want to see everyone's

post your materials and maybe cost? I just wanna get some ideas, see some pictures

i'm goin to bed, i'll post mine tomorrow, haha
MagicMarker
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby CBeran » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:14 am

Pretty sure this thread belongs in the Tactical Equipment section. Just sayin ;)

My first suits:

My latest suit:

CBeran
Soldier
Soldier

Team: APST

Postby KA-BAR » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:40 am

Cberan has a real unique profile.

after veg it gets lost, but if he does not veg, ill be looking for a round shaped fuzzball.

LOL

i see you!
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Postby MagicMarker » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:38 pm

well i was about to post this in equipment when i decided it'd belong more here...because it is kind of equipment, but sort of...not, you know? you use veg and it's more like just clothing, idk

anyway:
not done ghillie suit:
i will be using less leaves and more burlap/jute soon, also a full flight suit is in the mail

also got woodland form of these:
MagicMarker
Grunt
Grunt

Postby metalfingerz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:50 pm

amazing stuff!
metalfingerz
Recruit
Recruit

Postby MagicMarker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:43 pm

here's a more updated version, about 85% done now! i will add more burlap/jute and add more netting on the lower legs
(the picture was taken as so on purpose: in the middle of the snow, with no veg)

MagicMarker
Grunt
Grunt

Postby BoogeyMan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:12 pm

Looks good MagicMarker!!!

A small piece of advice, be careful using too much green. A ghillie usually resembles the dead underbrush. A majority of the green should come from natural veg.
BoogeyMan

Team: RR KBAB

Postby MagicMarker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:41 pm

yeah i've been attempting to deal with that fact the whole time making the suit, although i know you should, i don't ALWAYS use natural veg, so i have been using a few greens, only 2 really, other than OD
also my area up here is almost always bright green

but yes i know an IDEAL ghillie suit should be underbrush with REAL veg, just sometimes i myself do not prepare ideally ;) lol

the rest of my ghillie though, will be brown synth, brown jute, brown burlap, and a red/brown burlap ALMOST resembling dead red-ish leaves, maybe some OD because i have a bit more
MagicMarker
Grunt
Grunt

Postby B.O.P. Hawk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:03 pm

One of the main ideas of a properly formed ghillie suit is to break up the human image, and judging by the picture, your head stands out too much. My advice: add more "foliage" around your neck and ears, and more bright colors, such as burlap, or jute (like stated above), but not too much... you don't want massive wads of fuzz popping off of your back... you also want a tiny bit more black/brown.

for a complete guide of ghillie making, see you tube, even if you already have a suit... there is always room for improvement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sULe0Sc4-Gw

if you watch all nine videos, you'll be an expert.

"The Last Thing You Never See"
Birds of Prey: squad assault sniper
B.O.P. Hawk
Soldier
Soldier

Team: BoP

Postby TstclrCncr » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:29 pm

Just got back from JRTC with 4th ID. Gave some of their snipers a class on ghillies since theirs sucked dicks beyond faggotry.

Having a subnetting is very useful for the construction. Allows you to just slip in, and pull out veg as you shift through areas. This also allows for better air flow if you're getting too hot you can shift and the "pop" the net exchanging your warm air out.

Do you best to stick to neutral colors like shades of brown, and some of the soft greens.

Personally I like to tie in veg and let it rot. This will add a very natural color sight to your ghillie suit.

Jute/Burlap is great to use, but using too much can hurt too. Gives more of a "quilt" look to you, and really holds in the heat. With burlap make sure to break it in, and fluff it up. The more worn it gets the better. A tumble in the dryer with poker chips can help with this.

Canvas is amazing for the northwest. Find an old surplus tent and cut a single piece the size of your top and bottom. It's personal choice if you sew it on the inside or outside, but this will help with wear/tear, comfort, and dryness.
Knife Kills 28

PixieChinchilla: You could make Kendo SO jealous

"Hey theres a little leprechaun running around the village. Follow his orders and you will probably survive." KillerSlevin OP:SP
TstclrCncr
Specops
Specops

Team: DRAT

Postby Switchback » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:13 pm

TstclrCncr wrote:sucked dicks beyond faggotry.

Personally I like to tie in veg and let it rot. This will add a very natural color sight to your ghillie suit.

Canvas is amazing for the northwest. Find an old surplus tent and cut a single piece the size of your top and bottom.

I am amused with your vocabulary describing their ghillies...
Anyways, I am going to try to get some marksman gear, and was glad this showed up again.

Does the rotting vegetation cause "nastiness" factor that could make it pretty disgusting to play in, or do you only use a little?

I know this sounds wasteful, but I have a damaged Pilot Parachute from the 1st Gulf War. Would this be good lightweight material to utilize for anything? It is a smooth Foliage Green.
"I have the cutest dog."
Switchback

Postby MagicMarker » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:34 am

i've watched all those videos ;) and these:
http://www.youtube.com/user/GhillieArnhem
he uploaded different parts to an entire [what seems to be] DVD on ghillie preperation of different sorts

beleive me guys, i know what i'm doing 8) just gettin there that's all
but thanks for the advice, i had not though of attaching veg and leaving it for good, as dead underbrush, totally makes sense

the neck, shoulders, and head are lacking, i know, in fact, you can't see in the picture, but there are areas where patches of net are visible, beleive me it's not done, lol
yeah also, i don't think i showed the original, but i ended up removing every color except the brighter green (the other green looked blueish grey) and some tan and brown

original:
MagicMarker
Grunt
Grunt

Postby KA-BAR » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:45 am

yea those big bird suits are real POS. i think its cool that you modified it to the best of your ability.

your next step is learning how to make one from a steril base.
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Postby Miracle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:29 pm

Good job with that original, looks like you put a lot of work in to get your current setup looking halfway decent when you started with the green chicken costume. +1 fo' doin it yo'self
Miracle
Soldier
Soldier

Postby MagicMarker » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:52 pm

i know as a leaf suit it does't work well, but really an average ghillie with some of the better colored leaves does look good, the edges kind of blend and actually, judging by my own eyes, if you have a suit with no veg, all leaf is better than all jute, the jute makes you too much of a blob while these synth leaves fluff you up a bit, up close jute is better, but that's about it
although with veg the jute would be better

honestly i don't know why people 'rag' ( ;) ) on the synth leaf suits so much, they're a good place to start, and if you don't use veg it'll do better than jute
i play with players of a wide range of skill level, people who don't wear camo to as hard core as it gets, and no one has ever spotted me if i stay still, a few times being 5 or so feet from me (including team mates who knew i was there, didn't see me coming back from respawn)
also the time where 3 people were walking directly towards me for 200 feet, then stopped and had a chat 5 feet from me, never saw me, and that was with a suit around 50% leaves

people seem to over-hype the crappiness, lol
i might add my area up here is very bright and lustreous greens, tons of leaves and foliage
MagicMarker
Grunt
Grunt

Next

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers