dragonav svd

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

dragonav svd

Postby Mr. Killing Spree » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:09 pm

I'm thinking about getting the A&K spring svd. The electric ones are a bit to expensive for me. so I was wondering how good are they. I heard the piece that holds the spring back wears out after awhile so I'm planning on cutting new stainless steel pieces out with a laser, but besides that problem how good are they?
Be courageous. I have seen many depressions in business. Always America has emerged from these stronger and more prosperous. Be brave as your fathers before you. Have faith! Go forward!
Thomas A. Edison
Mr. Killing Spree
Grunt
Grunt

Team: OCSO

Postby G36 FTW » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:19 pm

The A&K SVD is a great "little" rifle. I've worked on my friend's, and the thing is built like a rock. However, you may want to pop in a tight bore for accuracy's sake.

As for the locking mechanism wearing down, don't worry about it. The first gen A&K SVDs had that problem, but the newer ones are made of steel, and don't wear down nearly as easily.
Last edited by G36 FTW on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sneaking around with a derringer since 2010
THE ARMORY
G36 FTW
Specops
Specops

Team: N/A

Postby quigly » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:19 pm

Lawls. The gun is fine. I have seen peoples' who have put a lot of work into em and get nice rifles out of it. Just like with pretty much any bolt gun though. And how do you have access to a "laser" that can cut through thick enough steel with enough precession?
My father once told me, "Some times all you have is a bullet and a prayer, don't miss."
quigly
Specops
Specops

Postby jdogbigmoney » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:22 pm

ive heard good things but have no personal experience
jdogbigmoney
Soldier
Soldier

Team: [ODK]

Postby B.O.P. Hawk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:30 pm

jdogbigmoney wrote:ive heard good things but have no personal experience

Then why say anything?

They are sturdy. Not my style, but a guy with one of these got me out four or five times in one match.

With about $150 of upgrades, yours can be like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtOy-729oaA
The first video on the side bar also shows an A&K SVD...

By the way, it's spelled 'Dragunov.'

"The Last Thing You Never See"
Birds of Prey: squad assault sniper
B.O.P. Hawk
Soldier
Soldier

Team: BoP

Postby Mr. Killing Spree » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:50 pm

quigly wrote:And how do you have access to a "laser" that can cut through thick enough steel with enough precession?
I have access to a laser through the company my dad works at
Be courageous. I have seen many depressions in business. Always America has emerged from these stronger and more prosperous. Be brave as your fathers before you. Have faith! Go forward!
Thomas A. Edison
Mr. Killing Spree
Grunt
Grunt

Postby shakespeare » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:08 pm

Yeah L@Z0r B33ms!
I'm not counting on a 14 year old being able or allowed to work a CNC machine, or anything similar.
Could be wrong though
shakespeare
Specops
Specops

Postby Mr. Killing Spree » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:15 pm

it will be a programmer who works there that will actually operate the machine
Thomas A. Edison
Mr. Killing Spree
Grunt
Grunt

Postby B.O.P. Hawk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Ok, go ahead and make your pointless replacement part... I'm pretty sure you won't need to replace it. G36 FTW already said you don't have to worry about it.

"The Last Thing You Never See"
Birds of Prey: squad assault sniper
B.O.P. Hawk
Soldier
Soldier

Team: BoP

Postby Shadowsta13 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:38 pm

I took a few test shots with one and I was somewhat impressed. Being an A&K I thought it was going to be a clunky piece of crap but it worked. Though the owner knew nothing of what a hop up was so it didn't get much distance and they though it's bolt was hard to pull but that's what happens when you play with younger kids
Top mattress, Left cargo pocket. Ready... Move!
Shadowsta13
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SCST

Postby 83celwa » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:36 pm

If you are really worried about the sear and the harshness of the charging lever, there is always this kit: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/accessories/ ... rifle.html
83celwa
Soldier
Soldier

Postby VogonFord » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:27 am

jdogbigmoney wrote:ive heard good things but have no personal experience

i agree
VogonFord
Specops
Specops

Team: {FAG}

Postby Nox » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:07 pm

I have one - it's pretty easy to work on, has decent out of the box playability, but the first upgrade to think of is a tight-bore barrel.
One thing to remember - there aren't replacement parts for these guns yet! If something breaks, count on it being down for a good amount of time!
The hopup is solid and doesn't move once it is set, but the interior material is spotty - the one I bought had grease or petroleum based oil in it, and the rubber 'rod' that presses down onto the hopup bucking was degraded to the point of becoming jello soft - I adjusted the hopup set screw right through it without it creating hop in my gun.
The fix was tearing it completely down, going to diamond hardware and buying a 3mm O-ring, cutting off a piece of it, and slipping it back into the original parts' place.
I haven't been able to test the fix since then, since college got in the way, but now that I've graduated I have more time to test it.

Also, the sear in the second gen guns are steel, so don't worry about a new one - its gonna last a good while.
Another benefit is that it uses AEG springs, so you can find spring upgrade all over for it.
Nox

Postby Mr. Killing Spree » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:18 am

thank you for that info
Thomas A. Edison
Mr. Killing Spree
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Switchback » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:56 pm

Careful with the hop up. ASGI has a decent video on how not to be a moron when inserting magazines.
"I have the cutest dog."
Switchback

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers