CA M24 good for 1st sniper's rifle?

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

CA M24 good for 1st sniper's rifle?

Postby God » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:48 pm

I want to try sniping. I find that camping is more my style. Not because I'm lazy per-say, I just have gotten tired of getting lit up by 400fps at 10ft ranges.

Is the CA M24 an upgradeable base that will perform acceptably stock? Any NEEDED upgrades out of the box?

Thanks to all who help.
God

Team: RR KBAB

Postby -Shifty- » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:01 pm

Echo 1 M28. Great build quality. Needs a little compression work, but still shoots fine. Comes with barrel spacers, harris style bipod, and a threaded barrel adapter for attaching cans. Stock mags feed fine, but are really crappy quality, but Echo 1 released metal mags for it (I don't know how those feed though). They also released a mock suppressor for it and an upgraded trigger set.

Edit:
Link change. Shows you the gun and what is available for it.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/advanced_searc ... 28&x=0&y=0
Last edited by -Shifty- on Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

11B1O - AUS
-Shifty-
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby NORDIC » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:04 pm

-Shifty- wrote:Echo 1 M28. Great build quality. Needs a little compression work, but still shoots fine. Comes with barrel spacers, harris style bipod, and a threaded barrel adapter for attaching cans. Stock mags feed fine, but are really crappy quality, but Echo 1 released metal mags for it (I don't know how those feed though). They also released a mock suppressor for it and an upgraded trigger set.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=7404

This.
They are in the base i repeat they are in the base...oh for the love of god get over there and shoot em bob!
NORDIC
Grunt
Grunt

Postby God » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:11 pm

Sigh.. Okay. Is this also much better than a stock KJW M700? I like the idea of no spring to have to pull...
God

Postby -Shifty- » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:13 pm

The M28 spring pull is relatively light. If you think its hard, you need to work out. And yes, its much better than a stock M700. You have to do a lot of work on the KJW's in order for them to be shooting consistently. And also since it's gas, it's not going to be nearly as consistent as a spring bolt is in the PACNW.

11B1O - AUS
-Shifty-
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jester316 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:19 pm

Any bolt you get will require a lot of tweaking to get right. I'm a couple hundred hours of work into mine (as well as close to $400).

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby God » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:46 pm

Eh, I'm not trying to make a godly sniper rifle, just something mildy accurate to 180ft.

As to spring pull... You'd have to meet me-
God

Postby Shaqonis » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:05 pm

I bought a tsd sd700 from evike.com. I love it. The spring pull was tough at first, but you get used to it! It was only 100 bucks, 30 for a scope and 70 for the gun. I am sure there are better out there... And people with more experience will let you know about them. But for a beginner rifle I had no complaints! The accuracy was good, and out of the box it was shooting decent fps. And to my knowledge it is also able to be upgraded... Although i never upgraded mine.

Just my 2 cents.
Shaqonis
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jester316 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:14 pm

My bolt action base is a TSD M700. It's VSR-10 compatible (except the inner barrel). You'll want a good inner barrel, a heavier spring (M145 vsr10 spring), a good quality scope, a Firefly hop up bucking, teflon modification, a Polarstar 45 degree piston. That'll give you pretty much what you want parts wise. Then you have to install them, and tweak them and find the best bb weight and brand for your set up.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Paladin101 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:23 pm

I don't agree about having to do "a lot of work" on a KJW M700 to get it shooting consistently. I think one being better than the other is more a matter of opinion. However I will agree that in the winter the spring rifle is superior unless you are running HPA through the KJW.

The main problems with spring rifles are you gotta pull the spring and the vibrations from the spring release wobbles the barrel during firing. In addition upgrade parts can get insanely expensive (Zero Triggers are usually $200+)

Spring rifles are pretty cheap but, no other company as really got the VSR design down as well as Marui. The problem with chinese VSR-10 knockoffs is that they are really hit and miss. I've seen a couple guys with 600+ rifles but, also had them tell me it took them 2 or 3 rifles to find one capable of this.

The Echo 1 ASR or any APS2 rifle is decent as well and for fairly little money ($225-ish) can be shooting 550+ with a 6.01 and metal internals. Major problem here is the locking bar wearing down.

As far as the KJW, it's an attempt to clone the tanaka. They use a normal AEG barrel and bucking. Other than that it's pretty much the same. There is some awesome upgrades for the M700 to convert to a VSR10 hop-up and barrel. These allow some of the best rifles in airsoft IMO as far as power and accuracy. However the downfall is that outside of the summer you won't get much use out of it and they can be usually $100 or so more than most spring rifles.

But you initially asked about the CA M24. I can tell you that from what I've heard the new versions aren't bad. Sort of a cross between the VSR-10 and APS2 rifles if I remember correctly, it's been about 8 months since I took one apart. I seem to remember they weren't bad, but nothing was special about them. Plus because they did their own thing with the design there were not many aftermarket upgrades for them.
EDIT
One thing I do remember is that you there is no tightbore available for them without modification because they use APS2 style hop-up unit pieces, but they flipped them upside down. As a result the alignment grooves don't match.
Last edited by Paladin101 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paladin101
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Seagreen » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:10 pm

They are decent. I can remember having a pretty solid one back in the day.

They are compatible with MOST APS-2 parts.
"5 color Woodland....it's the new thing."
Seagreen

Team: AIRSOC

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers