a good sniper for starter

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

Postby B.O.P. Hawk » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:46 am

Or, if you are not planning to go to any big APST attended events, and just plan to airsoft locally, the start on the path that Reaper and I suggested and take the time to become a sniper. Who knows, maybe you will have enough money mid-trek to be able to purchase an AEG, then have both to mess around with.

There is a guy at my local field who runs on all-upgraded weapons. He takes an ASR primary with an M4 on his back, and he does it beautifully. You don't want to come up against this guy as a single, or even maybe a four man squad. That is only because he spent the time when he was 14 or 15 to start learning how to play both parts: assault AND bolt turner.

"The Last Thing You Never See"
Birds of Prey: squad assault sniper
B.O.P. Hawk
Soldier
Soldier

Team: BoP

Postby Osprey » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:50 am

B.O.P. War Hawk wrote:Or, if you are not planning to go to any big APST attended events, and just plan to airsoft locally, the start on the path that Reaper and I suggested and take the time to become a sniper. Who knows, maybe you will have enough money mid-trek to be able to purchase an AEG, then have both to mess around with.

There is a guy at my local field who runs on all-upgraded weapons. He takes an ASR primary with an M4 on his back, and he does it beautifully. You don't want to come up against this guy as a single, or even maybe a four man squad. That is only because he spent the time when he was 14 or 15 to start learning how to play both parts: assault AND bolt turner.
I started at 14 and I'm not even close to where KA-BAR is as a sniper. I started hunting at 14 as well, but a .2 6mm bb and a 30.06 are two diffrent things. The wind can carry your bb sometimes 2 to 3 feet from you target, and thats just a slight breeze.
A man can be destroyed but not defeated.
- Ernest Hemingway
Osprey
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby B.O.P. Hawk » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:00 am

Reaper XIV wrote:
B.O.P. War Hawk wrote:Or, if you are not planning to go to any big APST attended events, and just plan to airsoft locally, the start on the path that Reaper and I suggested and take the time to become a sniper. Who knows, maybe you will have enough money mid-trek to be able to purchase an AEG, then have both to mess around with.

I started at 14 and I'm not even close to where KA-BAR is as a sniper. I started hunting at 14 as well, but a .2 6mm bb and a 30.06 are two diffrent things. The wind can carry your bb sometimes 2 to 3 feet from you target, and thats just a slight breeze.

How is that relevant?
Any bolt action gun will probably shoot too fast to be able to use .2s anyway. One should run at least .3s through it. After maybe $50 worth of upgrades, my sniper rifle had about an inch of variance at 100 feet. Now, I can shoot a little army man at 150 feet. It comes with practice. If one starts early, they will have that practice at a younger age than most.

B.O.P. Hawk
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Minerva » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:12 am

B.O.P. War Hawk wrote:How is that relevant?
Any bolt action gun will probably shoot too fast to be able to use .2s anyway. One should run at least .3s through it. After maybe $50 worth of upgrades, my sniper rifle had about an inch of variance at 100 feet. Now, I can shoot a little army man at 150 feet. It comes with practice. If one starts early, they will have that practice at a younger age than most.

Moral of the story is buy an AEG. He dumped all that money into, to shoot 150 feet.
"Minerva's hot dog is the biggest"-Minerva
Minerva
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Osprey » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:21 am

Minerva wrote:
B.O.P. War Hawk wrote:How is that relevant?

Moral of the story is buy an AEG. He dumped all that money into IT, to shoot 150 feet.
Fix it for you I think.
- Ernest Hemingway
Osprey
Ranger
Ranger

Postby B.O.P. Hawk » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:23 am

Minerva wrote:Moral of the story is buy an AEG. He dumped all that money into [it], to shoot 150 feet.

If a bolt action rifle is done right, one will not have any problem will picking off man sized targets at upwards of 300 feet with only one shot. My sniper rifle has a maximum range of about 250 feet, but only shoots 440 fps with .2s. 250 feet is pushing the range of an AEG, even with its handy-dandy full auto function.
I could easily push the speed of my gun up to 550fps, then, I estimate, I would have a range of about 350 feet or more. That definitely out-ranges every AEG I have ever seen except one, and that was an $800 project.

By the way, an army man has about half of the surface area to hit that a quarter does, and I can hit one in a single shot.

Edit: The style of play is also completely different, so if he can learn the skills of a "sniper," he can be extremely helpful on the field.

B.O.P. Hawk
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Osprey » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:28 am

B.O.P. War Hawk wrote:
Minerva wrote:Moral of the story is buy an AEG. He dumped all that money into [it], to shoot 150 feet.

If a bolt action rifle is done right, one will not have any problem will picking off man sized targets at upwards of 300 feet with only one shot. My sniper rifle has a maximum range of about 250 feet, but only shoots 440 fps with .2s. 250 feet is pushing the range of an AEG, even with its handy-dandy full auto function.
I could easily push the speed of my gun up to 550fps, then, I estimate, I would have a range of about 350 feet or more. That definitely out-ranges every AEG I have ever seen except one, and that was an $800 project.

By the way, an army man has about half of the surface area to hit that a quarter does, and I can hit one in a single shot.
Its the kids choice if he wants a Sniper rifle let him get sniper rifle.
Last edited by Osprey on Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Ernest Hemingway
Osprey
Ranger
Ranger

Postby B.O.P. Hawk » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:31 am

The point is that an AEG with the same money in upgrades could not do that in TEN shots.

to OP: If you want a bolt, then you must do it right in both the respects: of the gun itself, and of how you act on the field.

Edit: ^this post by Reaper^ originally said something to the effect of : "I can hit a deer at 400 yards, and you don't hear me bragging about it." but with worse grammar and punctuation.
Last edited by B.O.P. Hawk on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.O.P. Hawk
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Minerva » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:34 am

You're kidding yourself if you are equating velocity to range.. Here I was thinking you would know better..
Minerva
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Osprey » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:36 am

Minerva wrote:You're kidding yourself if you are equating velocity to range.. Here I was thinking you would know better..
Are you talking to me because im up with the kid getting an AEG Its better and you can go to more events with a AEG then with a bolt.
- Ernest Hemingway
Osprey
Ranger
Ranger

Postby B.O.P. Hawk » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:40 am

Minerva wrote:You're kidding yourself if you are equating velocity to range.. Here I was thinking you would know better..

He was talking to me.

According to the laws of physics, The BB will drop at the same rate all the time, only affected by backspin friction and updraft. If there is no updraft, the weight stays the same, the hop causes the BB to touch down after the same amount of seconds, and the BB is traveling faster, then the BB will have covered a greater distance than when it was going slower (edit->) by the time it hits the ground.

Therefore, velocity directly impacts range, as long as all other factors are the same, or negligibly changed.
Last edited by B.O.P. Hawk on Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

B.O.P. Hawk
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Minerva » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:41 am

No I was referring to BOP who was saying "OMG I CANz SH00tz 500 FPS = 300 FOOT SHOTS CUZ IMA 1337 SNIP3R"

You're forgetting you are moving the BB through a median such as air and that you are not shooting it at a constant velocity, nor is it a stationary target.

Air friction also comes to mind.

As does the exit vector of the BB out of the barrel.

Velocity =/= Range.

If you think that, go play moar backyard warz and stop giving advice to people about things you don't understand..
Minerva
Ranger
Ranger

Postby B.O.P. Hawk » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:47 am

Air friction will only affect it if the BB does not have enough mass to pass through the air freely, or if it is a rough surface. If he is using heavy, high-quality BBs, then that is a negligible factor.

Also, the vector will not change if the BB does not change, as long as you keep the same inner barrel. The vector's variance is controlled by the precision of the barrel, and will be the same regardless of the other factors.
Last edited by B.O.P. Hawk on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

B.O.P. Hawk
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Minerva » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:48 am

B.O.P. War Hawk wrote:Air friction will only affect it if the BB does not have enough mass to pass through the air freely, or if it is a rough surface. If he is using heavy, high-quality BBs, then that is a negligible factor.

Oh so air friction is non applicable to you?

Cool.

I wish I lived on the moon...
Minerva
Ranger
Ranger

Postby B.O.P. Hawk » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:51 am

The increase in air friction is hardly noticeable as long as the BB stays the same and the Hop-up is tuned properly.

B.O.P. Hawk
Soldier
Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers