Opinion on Tanakas?

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

Opinion on Tanakas?

Postby Hinagea » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:31 pm

First off, I would just like to say hi. Joined the forum yesterday after reading a few posts and realizing its not all 14 and 15 year olds. As an introduction, i've been playing airsoft for 4 years. Nothing bigger than backyard games until recently. Im really wanting to step it up now. I have sold ALL of my guns wanting to go straight to the top with 1 rifle and 1 pistol. I do have some experience sniping, and enjoy waiting for that 1 shot on target no matter how long it takes.

Anyhow, back to the topic. I am looking at Tanaka because I absolutely love the 0 resistance bolt, and better yet, its shell ejecting. I do realize that shell ejecting is not exactly practical for games but im ready to accept the loss of a few shells. I was looking specifically at the Tanaka m700 26 in. Shell ejecting model. Does anybody have any experiences with this rifle or anything Tanaka? I would expect great quality for a stock $500 rifle. The other concern of mine is the compatibility. Is it exactly the same on the inside to where I can put in a vsr hop up conversion kit? Being shell ejecting does it change any upgrades I can put into it besides the power packs? I am so new to these rifles and they are fairly rare. Nobody I know has ever seen a Tanaka so I got no info there and as far as other forums go, nothing has been posted concerning this.

Thanks for any info! If anything is spelled incorrectly please excuse it... Im typing this on my phone.[/list]
Hinagea
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Postby Cyph34r » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:50 pm

I have a Tanaka 98k, and its easily the best airsoft gun I've ever used. On the other hand, I've heard that some of the tanaka rifles aren't quite up to that level of quality, and I would personally avoid shell ejecting like the plague.
"Watch Black Hawk Down. Copy EVERYTHING the Somalis do.
It works great for Fragistan." -Welshy McSheeplove
Cyph34r
Soldier
Soldier

Team: {FAG}

Postby Kendodude » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:17 pm

I bleeding love their revolvers. I broke my M29 awhile back :( Monies meant to go into fixing it keeps going away :( Biggest sadness in all my airsoft life.
"One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth." - Quattro Bajeena aka Char Aznable
Kendodude

Postby Evil Zergling137 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:34 pm

Please don't, you are too young to run a sniper riffle. Get yourself a nice name brand AEG. There are a lot of choices. You'd be more effective if you ever went to a game too.
Evil Zergling137
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Evil Zergling137 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Plus a gas sniper at a game is starting to be disallowed because you can't lock in the FPS and it is too easy to cheat.
Evil Zergling137
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kendodude » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:55 pm

He's not too young... Starting out with an AEG would be best... Gas snipers are fine as long as it's not capable of having an HPA rig that may or may not cause controversy (the KJW M700).
"One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth." - Quattro Bajeena aka Char Aznable
Kendodude

Re: Opinion on Tanakas?

Postby Evil Zergling137 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:57 pm

Hinagea wrote:Nothing bigger than backyard games until recently.
Evil Zergling137
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hinagea » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:35 pm

I've been to a few local games, larger than backyard, about 10 acres. And 30 people. I really don't like AEG's. They are just too expensive to get as much realism as you can out of a sniper. More parts=more to fix. I had a g&g pro series m4. I've been through many AEG's, I like like sniping and chose this rifle for overall quality without being spring. Im also grabbing a TM g18c. So being close up in situations wouldn't rule me out completely.
Hinagea
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Hinagea » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:39 pm

That's another thing, I prefer realism above all else MILSIM all the way, even in games that aren't, I prefer to be it to be as real as possible.
Hinagea
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Evil Zergling137 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:19 pm

Looks good then. Don't shoot anyone in the head or under 50++ ft away. No potshots.
Evil Zergling137
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hinagea » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:54 pm

Was just hoping to get peoples opinions on Tanaka shell ejecting rifles. Back on topic?
Hinagea
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Zack » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:24 am

The shell ejecting is.... an interesting prop for cinematic purposes. If you field it, you're going to lose shells. From what I've heard, they are not too easy to replace. Never mind what people say about "GAS RIFLES ARE NOT ALLOWED OMGZ HAX!" It's up to event hosts, and the primary concern is with external HPA systems, which (generally) require massive modifications to the rifle.

I have a G33, and have handled K98K, as well as the non-enjecting M700. The build quality is AMAZING. Their internals have been copied by several companies, and most gas bolt platforms are based off of them.

My G33 clocks a ten shot average of 524fps with .20 weight, using propane, in 100*f weather, full gas charge, slow fired to negate expansion cool down.

The Tanaka hop ups will not allow you to use anything lighter than .34 for accurate shooting. Anything lighter will be affected too hard. The hop up is stable as hell, but finicky to adjust.

The Tanaka are, however, expensive, although worth the cost.

Hope this helps.
Zack
Ranger
Ranger

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers