l96 shoots hard right

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

l96 shoots hard right

Postby binicb2r » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:26 pm

im an AEG guy, i know nothing about bolt guns so use small words :D .

i have a l96 i picked up years ago and have done nothing to it except open it up and clean out the slime the manufacure put inthe cylinder and pack the body full of foam to quiet it. havent really touched it in the last year or so. i think its a utg but not sure.

its always shot to the right, and of course that right curve gets worse with lighter bbs. ive put .2, .25, and .3s through it. the hop up is as centered as i can get it. any suggestions on how to make the dang thibg shoot strait? any diy mods are welcome too.
binicb2r
Soldier
Soldier

Team: OITAC

Re: l96 shoots hard right

Postby Cloudyrains » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:43 pm

If you haven't already shimmed the hopup (google it) do that. This is a very common problem, at least in the VSR-10s.
Cloudyrains
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby binicb2r » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:53 pm

very little to no side to side movement in the hopup. ive been playing with it for a little bit now and probably should go test it, ill try taking an slop there is out if it still shoots funky.
binicb2r
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Beran » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:02 pm

Could also be a warped barrel.if you can get it out, try rolling it on a flat surface to see if it wobbles. Right and left fliers are usually either a bucking that's a little twisted to one side or the other, a barrel that's warped or spaced wrong, or something like a flash hider catching the very edge of the BB as it leaves the barrel.

Is the BB's path a true curve? Or does it go in a straight line from when it leaves the barrel only at a funny angle to one side?
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Postby binicb2r » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:08 pm

it goes out about 50ft ( much shorter with the .20s i have right now ) or so pretty strait then shoots off to the right.

ill pull the barrel after dinner and find a flat surface. at the point if its bent would i be wanting to shim it in the outer barrel at that spot?

and no, no flash hiders or such on the gun.
binicb2r
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Beran » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:13 pm

I'd still check it, but I think the problem is probably something with the hopup and not the barrel. I've heard of people rebending a warped barrel back into shape, but it's going to be hard to get it as straight as its supposed to be. If it does end up being the barrel, I would just replace it.

It sounds like the BB is getting an off-kilter spin applied to it from the hopup or some kind of obstruction in the barrel though.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Postby binicb2r » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:20 pm

i figured it was the barrel or something since its so consistent. never had an AEG be that consistent, then again an m4 isnt exactly a sniper weapon.

ill go shot it next chance i get, hopefully tonight, and if its still off pull the barrel and attempt to shim the hopup. probably should do that to the m4 too, oh how i hate desoldering the MOSFET to pull the m4 apart.
binicb2r
Soldier
Soldier

Postby NFS_Shadow » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:09 pm

if you havn't ever put any money into your l96 it might be shooting to the right purely because it's stock. My case wasn't as extreme but it's possible. Every stock bolt i've had pass through my hands shoots either right or left, sometimes both.
Cloudy rains: "I am the master handjob-man."

"Well we're surrounded. They can't get away this time"
- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC
NFS_Shadow
Ranger
Ranger

Team: 56Th

Postby binicb2r » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:17 pm

NFS_Shadow wrote:if you havn't ever put any money into your l96 it might be shooting to the right purely because it's stock. My case wasn't as extreme but it's possible. Every stock bolt i've had pass through my hands shoots either right or left, sometimes both.

and i cant put any worth while money or mods into the gun until i find the cause of the issue. i gotta start at the root of the problem and go from there, cant just throw money at it like the government.
binicb2r
Soldier
Soldier

Postby NFS_Shadow » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:45 pm

True. I would continue on with diagnosing every little piece.
Cloudy rains: "I am the master handjob-man."

"Well we're surrounded. They can't get away this time"
- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC
NFS_Shadow
Ranger
Ranger

Team: 56Th

Postby Cloudyrains » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:21 pm

binicb2r wrote:and i cant put any worth while money or mods into the gun until i find the cause of the issue. i gotta start at the root of the problem and go from there, cant just throw money at it like the government.

Or, you know, get a new tightbore, bucking, possibly hopup unit, and completely bypass the issue. And from my (albeit short) experience with bolts, pretty much everything in them needs to be replaced to function well. That and days of time poured into them in terms of tuning and modding. I have dropped about $600 into my JG Bar-10 and it is barley shooting accurately past about 250 feet (estimated). If I put more man hours into it I could easily have it shooting past 300 feet. My point is bolts take both your time and money, and you should be prepared to pour a lot of both into them.

Back on topic, I am convinced you need to shim your hopup. Just a small deviation in the angle of your hopup arm could throw a BB off significantly. Find some small material (thin slices of brass usually does the trick) and stick them between your hopup arm in your hopup window until you can't fit more material and you can still easily turn the hopup up or down. Just because it doesn't feel like you can wobble the hopup arm doesn't mean it can't.
Cloudyrains
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Messenger » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:18 pm

binicb2r,

Is your L96 agm or the Aps2 type (well, utg, anything other than agm really)? I only have experience with non-agm but most, if not all, should still effect things the same . So the things that I have found in my experience that usually makes BBs curve:
~If the "fangs" on your hopup are broke, then it could mess with the BB
~If your bucking isn't completely straight with hopup unit (same goes with barrel not put in straight)
~If your barrel or bucking is really dirty it can mess with your BB flight
~ If you are not holding your gun completely straight. I know this sounds stupid but this is normally the cause I have found for most people especially if you put on your own scope and didn't have the gun completely level.

Hope this helps!
Even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then.
Messenger
Grunt
Grunt

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers