Suggestions on a GOOD sniper gun

Discussion about sniper rifles or bolt-action.

Suggestions on a GOOD sniper gun

Postby Cyclops » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:45 pm

I have various guns but now I wanna look into being a sniper to help my team out. Right now I have roughly $400 and looking for a gun that "WILL" shoot about 550 fps with .20.... No need for a scope yet or bi pod I just want a really good sniper gun. What would you recommend and upgrades you would do to make it to the 550 fps mark and accurate? I'm trying to step up on my team to help them as much as I can, and I don't wanna waste money on a piece of junk. I also do not work on guns as taking them apart and stuff so I will have to have a shop do this for me as well.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Re: Suggestions on a GOOD sniper gun

Postby icebullet » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:55 pm

Comment redacted because I can't function at 12 at night, nor should I post.
Last edited by icebullet on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(21:12:32) Ivan_Daylovich: It's our hate that brings us together.

Call the surgeons and tell them to take the day off, because I'll be doing all the operating now.

There's a point where this needs to stop, and we've clearly passed it
icebullet
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby Cyclops » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:17 pm

mmmm Ice bullet...... I don't like your post cause :
1: Get an AEG..... I believe I said I have VARIOUS guns....
2: Never said I wasn't going to get a scope I have 3....
3: FPS helps with distance....
4: I will do minor work on it but I have no problem paying some local store to get my upgrades put in correctly and help local shops with work....
5: What KWA should I get now? I have a KWA SR10, KWA SR12, G&G 416, Black Ops M4, WE1911, WE Glock 18C....
6: Did read the bleeding stickies and I'm looking for a gun that doesn't cost me under $200. I'm looking for something better.

SOOOO Please before replying to the post read the post and possibly take notes before what seams like jumping down my throat. Money isn't the issue as I have some saved up and could get more if needed. I try to show respect to other AP members but this reply got me going...
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Postby ogrejager » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:23 pm

Cyclops wrote:mmmm Ice bullet...... I don't like your post cause :
4: I will do minor work on it but I have no problem paying some local store to get my upgrades put in correctly and help local shops with work....
5: What KWA should I get now? I have a KWA SR10, KWA SR12, G&G 416, Black Ops M4, WE1911, WE Glock 18C....
6: Did read the f***ing stickies and I'm looking for a gun that doesn't cost me under $200. I'm looking for something better.

SOOOO Please before replying to the post read the post and possibly take notes before what seams like jumping down my throat. Money isn't the issue as I have some saved up and could get more if needed. I try to show respect to other AP members but this reply got me going...

ogre like Cyclops way of dealing with kid....

He's fifteen, take his advice about for what you'd take most (see, Switchback, I don't lump you all together) fifteen year-old-kids advice for.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby snowboarder249 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:40 pm

Being a sniper isn't something you can just jump into... running a bolt action in airsoft is tedious, frustrating, and often less effective than using an aeg. Also, $400 is about the bare minimum to build a rifle that will actually be worth it. I've put about that much into my L96, but I also spent a lot of time finding used or discounted Laylax/PDI parts. If I bought everything in my rifle off the shelf it would be way more than that... In addition, building a rifle good enough to have an advantage over an aeg takes unbelievable dedication; you'll almost certainly spend more time with your gun in pieces than together. While a place like AONW can do a wonderful job putting all your parts together, a bolt action will require constant tuning and adjustment to be useful, and that's something your going to need to do yourself.

As far as your goals for your gun, I'd focus less on fps and more on accuracy. Yes, velocity does increase range, but it only increases accuracy by giving wind and other factors less time to act on the bb before it reaches its target. A lot of times increasing the fps will increase shot-to-variance, which will actually decrease accuracy significantly. Before you go out and move into velocities where you can actually hurt people, I'd focus on getting to really know your way around a hopup, and get one of your aegs shooting as accurate as possible. See how often during a game you can hit someone at distance with only one shot.

Another thing to consider is that even if your rifle is capable of making 300ft shots, it still has a horribly low rate of fire and a tiny magazine. If you're persistent you'll eventually be able to work around this, but in the beginning you'll spend a lot of time being horribly out-gunned and frustrated.

If you really want to be a sniper, most of what it takes is patience. It's not something where you can go out, buy a gun, and instantly start being an effective shooter. I'm not trying to say you can't do it, but I am trying to make you aware of what it really takes. Yes, you could easily go out and get a decent rifle, but it will be a long time before you are really being beneficial to your team. If you have what it takes, that's great. Running a bolt is one of my favorite ways to play. But nothing ruins a game quite like someone running around with a hot gun who doesn't know how to use it.
snowboarder249
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Cloudyrains » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:50 pm

Cyclops wrote:mmmm Ice bullet...... I don't like your post cause :
6: Did read the f***ing stickies and I'm looking for a gun that doesn't cost me under $200. I'm looking for something better.

For one, FPS does not dictate range at all. Range is dictated primarily by your hopup and barrel. It is true that FPS can increase flight distance but it doesn't matter at all if the shots fly 200 feet but still couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Also, $400 is not very much for a higher end bolt. After the gun (assuming you buy something like the Bar-10) itself and labor you are looking at about $100 to spend on parts, assuming 2 1/2 hours of work at $40 an hour. That might buy you a nice barrel and bucking.
You are looking in the ballpark of about $450 for all precision parts. At the bare minimum you need a nice hopup bucking, barrel, and enough parts to guarantee that your cylinder is consistent. Optimally you are looking at replacing the barrel, hopup bucking, the stock hopup arm, barrel, cylinder head, swapping out the sears for a 0-trigger, spring guide, spring, piston, and getting a teflon cylinder for a lighter bolt pull.
In terms of base gun, your best bet would be a Tokyo Mauri VSR-10, being that the part tolerances are going to be a lot better than the various clones, meaning that upgrades will most likely be more friendly with stock parts. The fact that you are unwilling to work on your gun is a big downside. Bolts take untold amounts of time tweaking and tuning. I personally know Jester of SpecDet1 has put over 24 hours into his bolt, and I have at least 20 hours in mine.

There is a lot left unsaid but I would end up writing a book by the end of it if I didn't cut it off. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

*EDIT* Looks like snowboarder beat me to the punch, but most of this information still stands up.
Cloudyrains
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Orwell » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:53 pm

EDIT: Rethinking some choices.
Last edited by Orwell on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orwell
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Cyclops » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:03 am

Good info...

My back ground and why I wanna try to be a sniper..... I'm by far not the fastest player on our team (not over weight just out of shape and old lol) but also legally blind. One eye is fake (note my name) and the other has tunnel vision. If we meet you couldn't tell as I have been this way for 12 yrs and I have just learned to work with what I have. My guns have scopes on them so I can see ahead (250ft) as I have trouble seeing that far. I tend to stay towards the back of my team and when something comes up they inform me (Great communication #1 on our team). Some times I feel daring enough to be in the front as everyone should know that blind people have great hearing. If I hear something I point it out and give a close distance. We have VARIOUS ways of working things out.

Reason I'm looking for a sniper gun is because I would like to hang more of back of the team and let them get into the battle and if they need help due to a player just out of range then they can call me up for the 1 or 2 shot kill at like 200 to 250 ft away. If I can help them that way then our team can keep moving forward. Not looking for a DMR just a bolt action sping sniper gun. I'm willing to fork out some cash to see if this will work for us and if it does then we will start working on other players on our team and get better structured and be a force to worry about.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Jester316 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:08 am

I'll be the one to say it. Go for it. I love my bolt. It's a lot of fun. I'm not in to the creepy crawly thing. I run in and amongst my team (when I do run my bolt) and use it as a "I can't get that stinker cuz only his elbow is sticking out. Can you get him?" type situation.

If you have a bunch of other guns, than why not expand? Building a bolt action can be a fun and rewarding experience. It can also be one of the biggest pain in the asses. I spent over 100hrs worth of work on my bolt to tweak it just so. I've taken it apart and put it back together more times than I can remember. Remember that you don't have to have a super awesome 550fps gun filled with Laylax parts. You can pick and choose what works for you. I chrono consistently at 420-425fps. I can shoot accurately out to 200ft. That's not a very far range, but I know that if my cross hairs are on the target, I WILL hit it. Every time. I built mine for consistency from shot to shot rather than FPS. Consistency is what the name of the game is with bolt actions.

I suggest the Bar-10/VSR-10 style guns. I find them more comfortable than the L96 style (personal preference). Do your research into upgrades, and don't buy all at once. Buy a couple of parts first and put them in. Run your gun with them and see what you want to do next. The first things you should replace are the barrel and bucking. Those 2 items are the most important things in your whole gun.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Variable » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:11 am

I love how some of this shit is just self moderating now.
Variable

Team: APST

Postby Switchback » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:54 pm

ogrejager wrote:He's fifteen, take his advice about for what you'd take most (see, Switchback, I don't lump you all together) fifteen year-old-kids advice for.

YES! ACCEPTANCE AND RECOGNITION!

OP:
A semi-only (cringe) DMR would be my first recommendation. You could use that $400 and turn any AEG into a HSLD semi-auto death machine. Or you could buy a Russian style long rifle. Realsword makes a nice one...

I would also recommend browsing the market here: Jester316 has a bolt rifle up that has all of my wants. I recommend this because bolt guns take a ton of TLC, which has already been invested into his rifle.
"I have the cutest dog."
Switchback

Postby Switchback » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:54 pm

ogrejager wrote:He's fifteen, take his advice about for what you'd take most (see, Switchback, I don't lump you all together) fifteen year-old-kids advice for.

YES! ACCEPTANCE AND RECOGNITION!

OP:
A semi-only (cringe) DMR would be my first recommendation. You could use that $400 and turn any AEG into a HSLD semi-auto death machine. Or you could buy a Russian style long rifle. Realsword makes a nice one...

I would also recommend browsing the market here: Jester316 has a bolt rifle up that has all of my wants. I recommend this because bolt guns take a ton of TLC, which has already been invested into his rifle.
"I have the cutest dog."
Switchback

Postby Cloudyrains » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:02 pm

Switchback wrote:A semi-only (cringe) DMR would be my first recommendation. You could use that $400 and turn any AEG into a HSLD semi-auto death machine. Or you could buy a Russian style long rifle. Realsword makes a nice one.

The Realsword SVD is just about impossible to get due to them not currently manufacturing it. However, the CYMA/S&T (same gun) SVD is a direct clone of the Realsword design and makes a great DMR platform on the cheap. I had a tech shim, grease, and adjust the AOE in mine plus I put in a high torque motor, and madbull barrel and bucking in mine and I am getting phenomenal compression and accuracy for what I payed for the gun itself ($230 + $120 in upgrades). In my mind they are a serious hidden gem, one of these days I will get around to doing a proper review.

Anyways, honestly, a well done DMR platform is not a bad idea. If done right they can reach out comparably far as a bolt but still have the ability of having quick follow up shots and allowing for a bit more aggression in your play style. It also sounds like it would accommodate your team a lot as well, as it sounds like you are partially describing the role of a DM, staying with your fireteam but still having the capability to suppress or eliminate contact at a distance with accuracy. It might just be what you are looking for.

Keep in mind at the end of the day you are still shooting plastic pellets made in an Asian factory out of an angry, not very well engineered air compressor that looks a lot like a real firearm, and that there is only so much you can do to make a spherical (hopefully :P) pellet fly farther and more accurate.
Cloudyrains
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Diegunner » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:22 pm

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=8253. Heard these were nice although I have never actuly held one myself. I would personaly advise a DMR though for what you want it's a lot more versatile while still giving you that extra range but it's your money to decide what you want to do with it
Diegunner
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Bolt-Action & Snipers